Register

JV talks, sort of

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

13 Nov 2017 23:53

Leinster wrote:
Parker wrote:
Sue White wrote:Anybody know cannondale's annual budget compared to say sky?

JV is probably one of the best admins of a team out there.

Surely the primary role of a team boss is to attract sponsorship money. Everything flows from that. The better they are at doing it, the more successful the team is likely to be.

People are welcome to criticise the likes of Brailsford and Unzue, but the foundation of the successes of their teams has been their ability to secure long term sponsorship from big multi-national companies.

Don’t BSkyB own a significant chunk of Team Sky? Surely a big portion of Brailsford’s success is that he *doesnt* have to go running around looking for potential sponsors from about May/June every year, and can just focus on the team winning races

http://inrng.com/2017/09/the-finances-of-team-sky-2016/
...the team is 85% owned by Sky UK Limited and 15% by 21st Century Fox

2016 finances of Tour Racing Ltd who are a BSkyB holding company that own Team Sky at here
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Nov 2017 00:24

Leinster wrote:
Parker wrote:

Surely the primary role of a team boss is to attract sponsorship money. Everything flows from that. The better they are at doing it, the more successful the team is likely to be.

People are welcome to criticise the likes of Brailsford and Unzue, but the foundation of the successes of their teams has been their ability to secure long term sponsorship from big multi-national companies.

Don’t BSkyB own a significant chunk of Team Sky? Surely a big portion of Brailsford’s success is that he *doesnt* have to go running around looking for potential sponsors from about May/June every year, and can just focus on the team winning races

Not sure SdB does much these days, he certainly isn’t directing the team nor doing interviews.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

14 Nov 2017 10:14

This is the JV thread, not Sky. Stay on topic. Further off-topic postings will be deleted.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

Re:

14 Nov 2017 11:59

Susan Westemeyer wrote:This is the JV thread, not Sky. Stay on topic. Further off-topic postings will be deleted.

What I meant that SdB has beckme more like JV and general management rather running the team for race results.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

14 Nov 2017 12:06

thehog wrote:
Susan Westemeyer wrote:This is the JV thread, not Sky. Stay on topic. Further off-topic postings will be deleted.

What I meant that SdB has beckme more like JV and general management rather running the team for race results.
He was always general management, unlike JV, who coaches and acts like a DS.
User avatar fmk_RoI

14 Nov 2017 12:13

Leinster wrote:
Parker wrote:

Or one could argue that a part of other teams' success is that they develop and maintain a long term relationship with a sponsor while Slipstream's sponsor churn rate suggests a large part of their problem is poor sponsor relations.

Now one can ask what exactly is the problem here. It could be that the general manager - JV - doesn't actually want to manage and would prefer to be off coaching riders or acting as DS. It could be just bad luck after bad luck after bad luck in courting and landing the wrong sponsor. It could be that cycling's economic model is borked and the only thing that will save teams - Slipstream to Sky - is revenue sharing. And franchises for life.
User avatar fmk_RoI

05 Jul 2018 16:34

Good ol JV. Silence then when Froome is cleared he lands on the side of the victor.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/07/news/vaughters-anti-doping-testing-imperfect_471310

Vaughters follows the money. Another brownnoser......

Another one for whom the Armstrong doping was personal rather than about cleaning up the sport.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

05 Jul 2018 17:09

Benotti69 wrote:Good ol JV. Silence then when Froome is cleared he lands on the side of the victor.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/07/news/vaughters-anti-doping-testing-imperfect_471310

Another one for whom the Armstrong doping was personal rather than about cleaning up the sport.

I see Ryan Trebon has called JV out over his comments

''What’s really hilarious if you ask me is that NO ONE I know that is 100% clean has ever had any sort of positive/False positive/ over the threshold finding ever. It’s always questions riders on suspect teams that try and pull this bullshit. Vaughters opinion is so tainted''.
ontheroad

Re:

05 Jul 2018 17:09

Benotti69 wrote:Good ol JV. Silence then when Froome is cleared he lands on the side of the victor.

I get what you mean
well, I see a few on here and twitter for whom the Froome doping is personal, rather than about cleaning up the sport.
you call every cyclist out
many don´t
pastronef

05 Jul 2018 17:42

fmk_RoI wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Parker wrote:

Or one could argue that a part of other teams' success is that they develop and maintain a long term relationship with a sponsor while Slipstream's sponsor churn rate suggests a large part of their problem is poor sponsor relations.

Now one can ask what exactly is the problem here. It could be that the general manager - JV - doesn't actually want to manage and would prefer to be off coaching riders or acting as DS. It could be just bad luck after bad luck after bad luck in courting and landing the wrong sponsor. It could be that cycling's economic model is borked and the only thing that will save teams - Slipstream to Sky - is revenue sharing. And franchises for life.

Franchises for life is interesting, but once you have that what percentage is there for the UCI middleman? I think the good old boys in the UCI would be nuts to incorporate that model because it would ultimately be suicidal. Still...they are shortsighted morons and they have done lots of stupid stuff in the past.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

05 Jul 2018 20:33

pastronef wrote:

I get what you mean
well, I see a few on here and twitter for whom the Froome doping is personal, rather than about cleaning up the sport.
you call every cyclist out
many don´t

Not the Froome thread, but i disagree that it is personal like Armstrong. Froome has not **** any over (that i know of) like Armstrong and is only doing to a greater degree what those who have gone before have done. I dont blame him but i will call him what he is a doper and a cheat.

As for Vaughters, snakeoil salesman of the lowest order. He is not good enough to be chameleon just jumps ship to whatever looks like winning. Armstrong is gone a long time and the sport is no cleaner, but according to JV the bad man who shouted at him is gone so everything is A OK.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

05 Jul 2018 22:03

more humour from one of cyclings biggest clowns

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/05/team-sky-tour-de-france-rival-education-first-chris-froome-jonathan-vaughters

Vaughters insisted cycling has cleaned up its act, despite many believing that little has changed since the Festina affair of 1998.

Really, how and where? All that has happended is one former rider, his DS and a couple of docs got busted. The docs are probably still working albeit at a distance.

“That’s just not reality,” he said. “I can say that all day long, but nobody’s going to believe it. It’s not true and I think anyone inside the sport with any genuine knowledge is going to say that’s not true. Unfortunately many people look at us all sceptically.

Yet snakeoil salesman cant give and any examples for anyone to believe. Earlier he claims that teams give a paltry $140K when he says it should be much higher. SO anti-doping way under funded, so how can be it be effective?

“I’m all for transparency once there’s an ADRV [anti-doping rule violation] under way. I think those should be almost like publicly open trials so that people can see the evidence. But when you’re trying to determine whether or not you’re even going to bring a case, then, come on …”

Transparency, this is laugh out loud, considering Danielson and Vaughters deafening silence.

What a joke Vaughters is.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic