Register

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

12 Mar 2017 04:05

LRP was going hard for the stage win the day before, he wasn't saving sh*t.

6.3 w/kg for 41 minutes. not normal.
User avatar zlev11

Re: Re:

12 Mar 2017 04:18

thehog wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:Not that I think he was clean, but he was adrift 14 minutes and saving up for today. Being let off the leash with a surplus of oomph by the big boys is opportunity, but yeah LRP is a dirty little dawg.

Yep, but LRP is no less clean than anyone else who is riding for Grand Tour Podiums. So when we celebrate Froome, Quintana, Contador or Nibali, we can also celebrate LRP if he can hold it together and stay on his bike for 3 weeks. The other point I find interesting about Porte at BMC is he has continued to develop after leaving Sky's marginal gains umbrella.

Reference point; see Tyler Hamilton.

If he threatens Froome for the Tour, Michelle will call Brian and have a bio flag issued. That should bring him back to regular LRP.

Painting either Froome or his family as that of Armstrong is despicable.
You seem to forget that they great mates.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

Re:

12 Mar 2017 10:13

zlev11 wrote:LRP was going hard for the stage win the day before, he wasn't saving sh*t.

6.3 w/kg for 41 minutes. not normal.

#NOTnormal
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

12 Mar 2017 10:35

GraftPunk wrote:Not that I think he was clean, but he was adrift 14 minutes and saving up for today. Being let off the leash with a surplus of oomph by the big boys is opportunity, but yeah LRP is a dirty little dawg.

How exactly was he saving himself after he lost time and his GC was over? He was the fastest uphill in the ITT, mostly losing time in the corners before that; he went from the bottom of the mur de Fayence; and yesterday, he was just simply the strongest.

It will be interesting to see for how long he can continue to fly. I see he won't do Catalunya, but I think he'll do either Itzulia or Romandïe (or both).
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

12 Mar 2017 12:56

Netserk wrote:

How exactly was he saving himself after he lost time and his GC was over? He was the fastest uphill in the ITT, mostly losing time in the corners before that; he went from the bottom of the mur de Fayence; and yesterday, he was just simply the strongest.

It will be interesting to see for how long he can continue to fly. I see he won't do Catalunya, but I think he'll do either Itzulia or Romandïe (or both).

I agree. I think he's peaked with a tdf level peak too early.
Does he have another level? Or does he peak down and peak again? Would peak be better or worse?
Time will tell
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

13 Mar 2017 22:20

silvergrenade wrote:
Netserk wrote:

Does he have another level? Or does he peak down and peak again? Would peak be better or worse?
Time will tell

#LRP can fly,
he has no ceiling
#porcine
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

21 Mar 2017 01:48

silvergrenade wrote:
Netserk wrote:

Time will tell

My guess is that LRP is targeting TDU through to Paris-Nice, break, then build and race the 1 week races as a lead in to the TDF
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

29 Apr 2017 15:24

I guess somebody hadn't gone Super Sayan in too long. I want an epic battle between Porte and Horner climbing a random climb without saddle
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

29 Apr 2017 15:27

Damn that was fun to watch. 7.0 w/kg?
WheelofGear

29 Apr 2017 15:28

That was crazy. Out of the saddle for pretty much the entire climb and wasn't even breaking a sweat.
therealthing

29 Apr 2017 15:48

LRP looking good. July is going to be epic.
User avatar BYOP88

29 Apr 2017 16:01

By far better than his days in sky?
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

Re:

29 Apr 2017 16:08

therealthing wrote:That was crazy. Out of the saddle for pretty much the entire climb and wasn't even breaking a sweat.

It was epic from LRP, Dawg is going to have to amp up the motor to take on Little Richard come July.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

29 Apr 2017 16:16

dlwssonic wrote:By far better than his days in sky?

No better than Ax-3-Domaines or Pierre St Martin, imo. He's always had the ability to do this at some point in a week long stage race, or the early mountain stages of a GT.

Also, this ride was kind of lacking a decent reference point. Froome got shelled really early for whatever reason, and so the nearest challengers from the peloton were TJVG and Uran - and the likes of Felline just a few seconds back. It would be a bit of surprise if Porte didn't put in significant time on Uran and TJVG on 6km at 7%, or whatever exactly the final climb was.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

29 Apr 2017 16:29

Yeah competition was crap and probably started looking at each other very quickly, if the group size after them is any indication. TJVG probably waited for a while too as Porte was team leader anyway.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

29 Apr 2017 17:20

Red Rick wrote:Yeah competition was crap and probably started looking at each other very quickly, if the group size after them is any indication. TJVG probably waited for a while too as Porte was team leader anyway.

A bit harsh. :lol: Anything bar Quintana, Valverde, Froome.. and maybe Contador is crap?
WheelofGear

Re:

29 Apr 2017 17:52

WheelofGear wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Yeah competition was crap and probably started looking at each other very quickly, if the group size after them is any indication. TJVG probably waited for a while too as Porte was team leader anyway.

A bit harsh. :lol: Anything bar Quintana, Valverde, Froome.. and maybe Contador is crap?

Also no Nibali, Aru, Bardet, Pinot, Adam Yates, Chaves, Martin, Landa, Thomas, Dumoulin, Mollema, Kruijswijk, Chaves... It's one of the worst climbing fields I can remember, in terms of depth, for a fairly prestigious mountainous race.

Apart from Porte and Simon Yates - who both looked strong - and Froome, who had a bad day for whatever reason, it is severely lacking in top climbing talent. Sure, it was an impressive show of force by Porte, particularly to bridge across to Yates (although the ease with which Yates followed, suggests he wasnt exactly going flat out before Porte joined). But surely its not that surprising that Porte can put a minute into TJVG, Uran, Izagirre and a bunch of other fifth or sixth tier GC riders on a 6km climb at 7%?
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

29 Apr 2017 18:11

It looked as easy for Porte here as in TdU. Is he better at shortish mountains efforts at 10-15 minutes, flat out from the bottom out of the saddle? I think he is.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

29 Apr 2017 18:19

Valv.Piti wrote:It looked as easy for Porte here as in TdU. Is he better at shortish mountains efforts at 10-15 minutes, flat out from the bottom out of the saddle? I think he is.

Shortish mountains that aren't too steep. 4-8k at 7% or 8% is ideal for him.

He is nearly unbeatable at those.
WheelofGear

29 Apr 2017 22:26

Exciting times for a LRP grand tour bid. Ax3 and PSM indicated the elite, if decidedly sub-Froome, ceiling, and last year showed he can keep it together for 3 weeks.

Today just shows he's on track. Not sure what's up with Froome. Could be consciously building up form closer to the Tour than he's done previously. For the Double
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic