Log in:  

Register

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

03 May 2017 18:01

DFA123 wrote:
Mr.White wrote:
yaco wrote:
Scarponi wrote:The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux


Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.


Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!

This is the key statement. That main group was 20 strong and was made up largely of third or fourth tier climbers at best. Porte destroying Uran, Felline, Ulissi and Kreuziger on the final climb in a mountainous day in stage race, is not really off the charts. He couldn't drop Yates - probably the 3rd best climber in the field (who had spent a lot of energy on the descent) and was fresh enough to easily outsprint him.

TJVG distanced everyone in that group as well - that's how strong it was. Comparisons to Armstrong destroying the best climber of his generation on a HC climb like Ventoux are absurd.


Uran is certainly not a 3rd or 4th tier, he's in good form, Contador and Valverde couldn;t drop him on Arrate. There were also Zakarin, Izagirre, Meintjes, Spilak, whole Movistar and certain Chris Froome. Not a weak field for that kind of climb certainly! And that kind of stage. I repeat, Valverde couldn't drop that similar field on much tougher gradients and much tougher day. I would understand maybe if he and TJ tried multiple attacks and shrinked the group step by step. But he dropped them instantly! And rode in the sunset :p It was not normal, believe me!
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

Re: Re:

03 May 2017 18:12

Scarponi wrote:
kingjr wrote:
Scarponi wrote:The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux

Funny how 1 minute increases to 3 given enough time ;)

He kept going didn't he past Pantani still sprinting

Nah, he set a high pace, but not like he did when catching Pantani, when he was really sprinting on the drops. And even that was not a 'sprint sprint'.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,444
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

Re: Re:

03 May 2017 19:34

Mr.White wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Mr.White wrote:
yaco wrote:
Scarponi wrote:The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux


Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.


Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!

This is the key statement. That main group was 20 strong and was made up largely of third or fourth tier climbers at best. Porte destroying Uran, Felline, Ulissi and Kreuziger on the final climb in a mountainous day in stage race, is not really off the charts. He couldn't drop Yates - probably the 3rd best climber in the field (who had spent a lot of energy on the descent) and was fresh enough to easily outsprint him.

TJVG distanced everyone in that group as well - that's how strong it was. Comparisons to Armstrong destroying the best climber of his generation on a HC climb like Ventoux are absurd.


Uran is certainly not a 3rd or 4th tier, he's in good form, Contador and Valverde couldn;t drop him on Arrate. There were also Zakarin, Izagirre, Meintjes, Spilak, whole Movistar and certain Chris Froome. Not a weak field for that kind of climb certainly! And that kind of stage. I repeat, Valverde couldn't drop that similar field on much tougher gradients and much tougher day. I would understand maybe if he and TJ tried multiple attacks and shrinked the group step by step. But he dropped them instantly! And rode in the sunset :p It was not normal, believe me!


Had Porte got straight past Yates and won by 30 seconds then you could describe it as a superman performance - Actually Porte was more powerful in the mountain finish of P/N, when he dropped Contador and his ilk easily, and effectively soft pedalled the last 1km.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

03 May 2017 20:59

It was 4-5% when he caught Yates, not very likely to drop him, although he barely hold his wheel. And no, he was not more powerful in PN, he seized the opportunity there, he was not a GC threat, and went full gas, Contador and others hesitated a bit and he was gone. Probably he was the strongest there also, but this one was ridiculous, he just rode off from others on a rather easy climb.
User avatar Mr.White
Member
 
Posts: 1,934
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 17:13

04 May 2017 18:02

Will Richie bring back the caravan ? :p
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re:

04 May 2017 19:00

Mr.White wrote:It was 4-5% when he caught Yates, not very likely to drop him, although he barely hold his wheel. And no, he was not more powerful in PN, he seized the opportunity there, he was not a GC threat, and went full gas, Contador and others hesitated a bit and he was gone. Probably he was the strongest there also, but this one was ridiculous, he just rode off from others on a rather easy climb.


Well you and I have different standards for what constitutes a superman ride.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

11 May 2017 17:10

For what I'd give to see Porte in full flight looking behind him with a Froome Contador Quintana group bridging. When was the last time in a tour 2 guys were even in the mountains let alone 3 or 4?
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re:

11 May 2017 22:30

Scarponi wrote:For what I'd give to see Porte in full flight looking behind him with a Froome Contador Quintana group bridging. When was the last time in a tour 2 guys were even in the mountains let alone 3 or 4?

Last year, Porte and Froome were equally good, only bad luck and mediocre time trials lost Porte time. I actually believe they finished st on pretty much all stages apart from stage 8 over Peyresourde.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,925
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

12 May 2017 08:34

equally good?.............well apart from the time trial where he were not so good.............

porte appears exceptionally 'focused' this year.............will that focus hold through 3 weeks....

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

Re:

12 May 2017 08:48

ebandit wrote:equally good?.............well apart from the time trial where he were not so good.............

porte appears exceptionally 'focused' this year.............will that focus hold through 3 weeks....

Mark L

He specifically said in the mountains. I have noticed you sometimes don't seem to read the whole post.....
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,925
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

07 Jun 2017 14:45

Another wtf performance by porte.
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,058
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

07 Jun 2017 14:48

Porte smells of 2004 to me...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,682
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

07 Jun 2017 14:51

Time for Michelle to give Uncle Brian a call.
Bronstein
Junior Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 30 Jun 2009 18:05

Re:

07 Jun 2017 15:10

Netserk wrote:Porte smells of 2004 to me...

Beyond stinky, the dawg is going to have to up his programme.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 378
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

07 Jun 2017 15:14

He's always been a strong time trialler. And did you see him ride today? So elegant and efficient. Reminded me of Sir Bradley
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,166
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

Re:

07 Jun 2017 15:19

Netserk wrote:Porte smells of 2004 to me...

Wow, in romandie I really saw shadows of armstrong on porte's performance :D
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,058
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re:

07 Jun 2017 15:34

SeriousSam wrote:He's always been a strong time trialler. And did you see him ride today? So elegant and efficient. Reminded me of Sir Bradley

More like Berzin, similar size.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,364
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

07 Jun 2017 15:38

Nice performance of Porte today. To sad it's premature. Come TdF and Porte will do as usual.

At the same time, Valverde flying on ITT is a mockery for anti doping. Better now allegedly clean than on 06, Cycling is a complete farce.
Felice Gimondi
Junior Member
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 19 Jul 2009 08:24

Re:

07 Jun 2017 16:31

Felice Gimondi wrote:Nice performance of Porte today. To sad it's premature. Come TdF and Porte will do as usual.

At the same time, Valverde flying on ITT is a mockery for anti doping. Better now allegedly clean than on 06, Cycling is a complete farce.
m

We didn't see Porte's "usual" bad day in last year's Tour. The way he is riding this season a bad day is looking even less likely. He is kind of thin so maybe his biggest risk is getting sick in the 3rd week of the Tour.
Cookster15
Member
 
Posts: 947
Joined: 14 May 2011 19:25

07 Jun 2017 16:33

Porte is arguably the only rider physically who can live with a 2012-2016 level Froome. But for bad luck he would have finished 2nd in last years tour but he is always prone to losing time in unusual fashion in a 3 week tour. He also lacks the ruthlessness of Froome.

However he does seem to have ramped it up again another level this season and he is probably favourite to win the Dauphine and definitely a contender for the tour now. I do not trust his ability to last the 3 weeks though, podium possibly but not the most likely winner.....at least not yet.
ontheroad
Member
 
Posts: 584
Joined: 10 Oct 2012 18:04

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Back to top