Register

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2017 14:37

Cookster15 wrote:
TourOfSardinia wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:Does the ASO prefer another antipodean winner of Le Tour?

ASO might find Sky too toxic at present.

Could be LRPs year.

my thoughts too
but LPR is holding form for 6 months now
so something may misfire on the way to the Champs-Élysées

How long did Evans hold form in 2011? How long did Wiggins hold form in 2012? Yes he might well misfire but if Porte can hold this form next month there are plenty of precedents. It is unlikely Porte tapered for the Dauphine so he could actually be a little stronger next month. Benotti might be right ;)

Don't forget the best of them, Chris Froome himself in 2013 ... Won Oman, the MTF in Tirreno, Criterium International, Romandie, Dauphine and the Tour. All in pretty dominant fashion. Porte even came second in two of those races.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

09 Jul 2017 20:43

Richie Porte telling medics he was "ok". A broken pelvis and broken collarbone is ok. Wonder what kind of PEDs means you cant feel a broken pelvis and collarbone!!!!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2017 20:47

Benotti69 wrote:Richie Porte telling medics he was "ok". A broken pelvis and broken collarbone is ok. Wonder what kind of PEDs means you cant feel a broken pelvis and collarbone!!!!

It's very good he's not paralyzed. That was one serious crash.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

09 Jul 2017 21:26

MarkvW wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:Richie Porte telling medics he was "ok". A broken pelvis and broken collarbone is ok. Wonder what kind of PEDs means you cant feel a broken pelvis and collarbone!!!!

I am not happy he is hurt, just find it weird he told medics he was "ok" when it clearly proved he wasn't.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

09 Jul 2017 21:30

I'm very impressed by the ability to turn literally any event into evidence of doping.
User avatar SlickMongoose

Re:

09 Jul 2017 21:43

I think this is going a bit too far. I am not necessarily doubting him being doped, but suggesting he's not feeling any pain (which is very debatable to begin with) because of PED's is a head scratcher for me. Maybe he was feeling a TON of pain but wanted to downplay it. Or he wasn't feeling pain because of adrenaline. Or he was massively disappointed to end his tour so his head was preoccupied with that. Or something else.
BullsFan22

Re:

09 Jul 2017 21:51

Oh come on. Sifting through the tea leaves of what a guy says when he's just smacked headfirst into the side of a mountain at 70 km/h to insinuate doping is a new low.

Besides, if you've ever been properly hurt you'd know adrenaline is a ridiculous thing. I crashed once and went headfirst over the bike and landed on my elbow. I got straight back on and only pulled over after a km or so. I wouldn't have even gone to hospital except a taxi driver saw me walking with the bike hunched over holding my arm and basically made me go. Turned out I'd broken the end off my ulna and two chunks off my humerus in a clean y-fracture. So the three bones of my arm had become six independent chunks. But it took me a full minute to even feel sore.
User avatar vedrafjord

09 Jul 2017 22:06

BullsFan22 wrote:

I think this is going a bit too far. I am not necessarily doubting him being doped, but suggesting he's not feeling any pain (which is very debatable to begin with) because of PED's is a head scratcher for me. Maybe he was feeling a TON of pain but wanted to downplay it. Or he wasn't feeling pain because of adrenaline. Or he was massively disappointed to end his tour so his head was preoccupied with that. Or something else.

CLASSIC S-H-O-C-K
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

09 Jul 2017 22:56

Benotti69 wrote:
MarkvW wrote:

I am not happy he is hurt, just find it weird he told medics he was "ok" when it clearly proved he wasn't.

Clearly you haven't ridden a bike nor crashed. I've seen guys ride home after a serious smash up on pure adrenaline to find out the next day they have broken ribs and wrist. I smashed up my face once, it looked fine. Kept on riding, next day, two massive black eyes.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

10 Jul 2017 09:33

Benotti69 wrote:
MarkvW wrote:

Well clearly this just proves he's a liar who lies about everything.

Is this really for real? I mean, come on, you have never had a spill and told people you were fine even though you hurt all over? Ever?
User avatar fmk_RoI

10 Jul 2017 11:39

Sure to the above. I have never ridden my bike in the Le Tour crashed and told medics i am fine.....FRO.

Maybe part of the make up of these guys is a la Tom Simpson, "put me back on my bike"....

I called Richie a liar? Really for real? I mean really? For real?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

10 Jul 2017 14:51

Chris Horner: "Did I finish? But, did I finish... ?"

Horner kept riding with a concussion, had no clue where he was, but he was obsessed with crossing the finish line.
That was a classic one
ClassicomanoLuigi

10 Jul 2017 15:15

See Skujins, Toms. You get hit that hard you're not really there for a while, even if you're conscious.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Previous

Return to The Clinic