Register

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

29 Apr 2017 23:40

SeriousSam wrote:Exciting times for a LRP grand tour bid. Ax3 and PSM indicated the elite, if decidedly sub-Froome, ceiling, and last year showed he can keep it together for 3 weeks.

Today just shows he's on track. Not sure what's up with Froome. Could be consciously building up form closer to the Tour than he's done previously. For the Double

Froome's probably suffering from lack of racing (form) and as you said aiming for the Double.

As for LRP those were some serious numbers on that final climb. Still think he's not "there" for 3 week races. 1 week races and he's a serious threat.
User avatar BYOP88

Re: Re:

29 Apr 2017 23:51

BYOP88 wrote:
SeriousSam wrote:Exciting times for a LRP grand tour bid. Ax3 and PSM indicated the elite, if decidedly sub-Froome, ceiling, and last year showed he can keep it together for 3 weeks.

Today just shows he's on track. Not sure what's up with Froome. Could be consciously building up form closer to the Tour than he's done previously. For the Double

Froome's probably suffering from lack of racing (form) and as you said aiming for the Double.

As for LRP those were some serious numbers on that final climb. Still think he's not "there" for 3 week races. 1 week races and he's a serious threat.

Didn't Porte last 3 weeks last year? If not for crashes Porte would have finished on the podium and ahead of Quintana. Yes it was only one grand tour but I think it proved he has figured out how to not suddenly lose 20 minutes in the grupetto when he has an off day.
Cookster15

30 Apr 2017 05:37

Nice Horner impression by Richie.

"Porte looked like he's from another planet"

https://twitter.com/mrconde/status/858437653766733824
Bronstein

30 Apr 2017 07:23

What I don't understand about Porte is that he climbs so well when his arm still look super chubby.

What I also don't understand is how his TTing has largely gone to crap in recent years even though he's climbing better than ever.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

30 Apr 2017 17:20

Did a good TT today - Best suited in hilly TT's - Only average in flat TT's.
yaco

30 Apr 2017 17:32

Incredible, probably the best climber this year so far, better than Quintana.

Hasn't lost any power from his Sky days and has gained the endurance for 3 weeks more importantly.
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

01 May 2017 17:44

#LRP ftw
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

02 May 2017 16:13

The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux
Scarponi

Re:

02 May 2017 16:52

Scarponi wrote:The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux

Very true but I have a feeling Mrs. Dawg is going to get Dawg to call the UCI and get extra testing on Little Richie. No way could she stand LRP winning the Tour from Dawg.

#notnormal
User avatar thehog
Veteran

02 May 2017 17:23

thehog wrote:
Scarponi wrote:The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux

Very true but I have a feeling Mrs. Dawg is going to get Dawg to call the UCI and get extra testing on Little Richie. No way could she stand LRP winning the Tour from Dawg.

#notnormal
LRP may get Kath to challenge cound again this time on behalf of him LRP
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

03 May 2017 01:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d581QcZ2eJw

I know the bacteria that were on the floor receiving their sweat got enough steroids to win a WT event, but damn, that was legendary.

The only two performances I can remember that resemble the one mentioned above are Contador vs Rasmussen and Contador vs Froome (Dauphine '14).
User avatar lenric

03 May 2017 03:31

#rootingforLRP
User avatar meat puppet

Re:

03 May 2017 10:47

Funny how 1 minute increases to 3 given enough time ;)
kingjr

03 May 2017 11:54

thehog wrote:

#notnormal

and if this doesnt happen and Richie gets yellow in Paris, are you ready to enjoy Froome´s defeat a bit? even if by our dear LRP?

I am.
pastronef

Re:

03 May 2017 14:58

Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.
yaco

03 May 2017 15:50

yaco wrote:

Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.

Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!
User avatar Mr.White

03 May 2017 16:52

kingjr wrote:

Funny how 1 minute increases to 3 given enough time ;)

He kept going didn't he past Pantani still sprinting
Scarponi

03 May 2017 16:53

yaco wrote:

Armstrong couldn't drop Pantani either. It was basically a mirror image except the two mountains
Scarponi

03 May 2017 16:57

It's tough to compare eras but I do wonder what that Armstrong attack vs froomes spin 2013 would have looked like
Scarponi

03 May 2017 17:14

Mr.White wrote:
yaco wrote:

Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!

This is the key statement. That main group was 20 strong and was made up largely of third or fourth tier climbers at best. Porte destroying Uran, Felline, Ulissi and Kreuziger on the final climb in a mountainous day in stage race, is not really off the charts. He couldn't drop Yates - probably the 3rd best climber in the field (who had spent a lot of energy on the descent) and was fresh enough to easily outsprint him.

TJVG distanced everyone in that group as well - that's how strong it was. Comparisons to Armstrong destroying the best climber of his generation on a HC climb like Ventoux are absurd.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic