Register

Media amnesia and reactions

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Oct 2012 21:24

Sarcastic Wet Trout wrote:Here's a tweet from Paul Sherwen today:

Am reading Bad Blood. Paul Sherwen was mentioned as Team Motorola's press officer... suddenly the glowing remarks for the last n years whenever Lance turned a pedal or another rider turning a pedal could be compared to Lance made just that little more sense.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 21:25

Tinman wrote:Latest from Dan Benson: "Amnesty or Bust"

Has distinct tones of the "Resign Pat" letter in it...

http://sport.uk.msn.com/socialvoices/blogpost.aspx?post=6c3731e8-75a3-412c-8675-850fd3af6f99&_nwpt=1

And yet CN provided a soapbox for Lance's doping doctor, while Lance was doping, for 2 years.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 21:31

Dear Wiggo wrote:Am reading Bad Blood. Paul Sherwen was mentioned as Team Motorola's press officer... suddenly the glowing remarks for the last n years whenever Lance turned a pedal or another rider turning a pedal could be compared to Lance made just that little more sense.

Sherwen & Lance also have a business relationship with Sherwens mining company in Africa.
Although his tweet sounds like he might crawl out of the mine and see the light.
User avatar Dr. Maserati
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 21:33

Mrs John Murphy wrote:As we know, much the media at best turned a blind eye to Armstrong's doping and the rumours about it, or worse became cheer-leaders and bandwagon jumpers.

While we're holding riders, officials and DSs to account the media also needs to be held accountable.

So I thought it might be good to collect media reactions - who are holding their hands up, who is re-writing their own history and involvement, who continues to bury their head in the sand and who are the true believers.

The BBC seems to be burying its head in the sand and deleting any comments in the Lance Armstrong discussion about members of Sky named in the report and statements.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html

Now we are talking. Good article this morning from Rupert Guinness - Sydney Morning Herald.

"I got it wrong"
sairyder

11 Oct 2012 21:37

sairyder wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html

Now we are talking. Good article this morning from Rupert Guinness - Sydney Morning Herald.

"I got it wrong"

I also recognised things could have been made clearer sooner, had I and others in the cycling media pursued allegations of doping against Armstrong more vigorously.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html#ixzz291qOjARF

It would be good to hear from the cycling journalists why they didn't pursue the rumours/evidence - it needs to be spelt out so it doesn't happen again
sairyder

11 Oct 2012 21:41

Was very disappointed that David Harmon, knowing he'd be bombarded with tweets on the subject and that the viewer(s) of the Tour of Beijing Stage 3 might expect some discussion between Brian Smith and himself on it, had not bothered to read through the USADA 'Reasoned Decision' and thus was able to offer up excuses about being busy and therefore unable to comment at all. Poor show, but not exactly unpredictable. I know he is slightly conflicted by his job but still, I feel he fence-sits as a default position more often than not.

Carlton Kirby is far worse though. I hope he's currently sleeping off a major over-indulgence of humble pie tonight.
argyllflyer

11 Oct 2012 21:50

argyllflyer wrote:Was very disappointed that David Harmon, knowing he'd be bombarded with tweets on the subject and that the viewer(s) of the Tour of Beijing Stage 3 might expect some discussion between Brian Smith and himself on it, had not bothered to read through the USADA 'Reasoned Decision' and thus was able to offer up excuses about being busy and therefore unable to comment at all. Poor show, but not exactly unpredictable. I know he is slightly conflicted by his job but still, I feel he fence-sits as a default position more often than not.

Carlton Kirby is far worse though. I hope he's currently sleeping off a major over-indulgence of humble pie tonight.

Yes I totally agree. I was watching the live stage 3 coverage and heard Harmon say he hadn't read the USADA report and I thought "what was he doing all morning?"
User avatar biker jk

11 Oct 2012 22:03

cineteq wrote:Actually, reading between the lines on comments he made this year on TV, he was suggesting LA was a fraud.

Reading between the lines of Harmon's words is like analysing the message of a Justin Bieber song.
User avatar Descender

11 Oct 2012 22:12

To be fair to Harmon he was probably up at the crack of dawn to prepare for the broadcast. How long did it take you to read the whole Reasoned Decision?

And more broadly, with the behaviour of LA and his lawyers a lot of the media have had to tip-toe around the whole topic, not to mention the question of access to a supposedly unblemished global sporting icon.
If he could bully the people and institutions that care a great deal about cycling, he could certainly keep at bay a media that, Continental Europe aside, still really sees cycling as a minority sport.
The Tibetan Hat

11 Oct 2012 22:15

The Tibetan Hat wrote:To be fair to Harmon he was probably up at the crack of dawn to prepare for the broadcast. How long did it take you to read the whole Reasoned Decision?

And more broadly, with the behaviour of LA and his lawyers a lot of the media have had to tip-toe around the whole topic, not to mention the question of access to a supposedly unblemished global sporting icon.
If he could bully the people and institutions that care a great deal about cycling, he could certainly keep at bay a media that, Continental Europe aside, still really sees cycling as a minority sport.

To be fair to Harmon, he could've read Eurosports home page and made comments based on what his employer reported online ;) instead of looking like an aplogist yet again never mind being an uninformed commentator of cycling when the biggest story in the history of the sport hits the fan he has nothing to say. Stupid!
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 22:16

Boulder Daily Camera this morning...

http://www.dailycamera.com/cycling/ci_21742180/entertainment/classicalmusic

sorry if its already been posted...there is a mountain of stuff to keep up with here!:p
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 22:25

I seem to remember Bonnie Ford over at ESPN being a big Lance fan, but when I looked in the archives for articles, the one's I saw were not overly drenched in fangirlism.
Either way I appreciated her article yesterday including these statements:

You can choose not to believe any or all of the witnesses. You can choose to disregard the flashing neon arrows among the test results. You can somehow construe the $1 million in payments Armstrong made to the Swiss-based company of discredited trainer Michele Ferrari as legitimate medical expenses, or remarkably generous gifts. To discount all three elements of USADA's case, and the way they overlap and intersect, is nothing less than being willfully blind.

None of these riders are heroes for their admissions. They had options, all of them -- to ride without artificial aid; to leave Europe and return to the lower-stakes U.S. circuit; to do something else for a living...

and I think we can mostly agree with this

There is no other logical conclusion. After today, anyone who remains unconvinced simply doesn't want to know.

source
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8487169/usada-report-lance-armstrong-end-debate-whether-doped
amp300

11 Oct 2012 22:26

Oh dear,

Did it really take him 2 days to read it? And he thinks that is worth noting?

He must move his lips while he reads.
purcell

11 Oct 2012 23:00

Descender wrote:Reading between the lines of Harmon's words is like analysing the message of a Justin Bieber song.
I never thought you'd listen to Justin Bieber. LOL! I'm starting to understand better your personality. :)
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

11 Oct 2012 23:02

Some journo's are standing up and admitting their errors in the past:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/i-was-wrong-and-others-must-come-clean-too-20121011-27fr9.html

About time, but I hope this leads to a more inquisitive press willing to put pressure on following rumours in the future, rather than the passive wait-and-see/not-my-job approach of the last decade.

That also applies to many fans too.
peterst6906

12 Oct 2012 00:17

peterst6906 wrote:Some journo's are standing up and admitting their errors in the past:

About time, but I hope this leads to a more inquisitive press willing to put pressure on following rumours in the future, rather than the passive wait-and-see/not-my-job approach of the last decade.

That also applies to many fans too.

You are asking them to work. That is hard. It is much easier to gobble up whatever press release you are handed, submit as your copy, collect your paycheque and go to the bar.

The added benefit is that if you just gobble up and reprint what you are handed, someone else will likely pick up the bar tab.
purcell

12 Oct 2012 00:21

Its so pathetic seeing all these complicit journos like Rupert covering their back sides now
Hillavoider

12 Oct 2012 00:26

Phill is a total fraud, career over?
Hillavoider

12 Oct 2012 01:00

Hillavoider wrote:Its so pathetic seeing all these complicit journos like Rupert covering their back sides now

Yes and No. Journalist Omerta is no different to rider Omerta.

Nail the guys who are still repentant. Nail Phil. Rupert's braver than most, he's one of the first to blow the journo Omerta lid (other than Kimmage of course). And this is his second mea culpa in 2 weeks. Good on him.

Kimmage = Bassons category. Rupert = Vaughters category. Phil = Lance category.

By the way I have been critical (in more than one way, believe me) of Rupert. Here and elsewhere.
[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]
“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
User avatar Tinman

12 Oct 2012 01:05

Mrs John Murphy wrote:And it would be nice if Benson were to stop ripping off our work.

I have no issue. I post here without copyright. If someone wants to use (some of my/our) inputs etc for "the good cause" then mission accomplished for me.
[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]
“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
User avatar Tinman

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic