Register

Media amnesia and reactions

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Aug 2013 15:24

thehog wrote:Things have changed.

McQuaid has shown in the past two weeks that ethics and morality is the very foundation he stands upon :rolleyes:

Just because he's sporting a fake Malaysian passport, you attack with sarcasm and irony. What is wrong with the world.....
User avatar Fortyninefourteen

07 Aug 2013 17:31

thehog wrote:Things have changed.

McQuaid has shown in the past two weeks that ethics and morality is the very foundation he stands upon :rolleyes:

what McQuaid stands upon, it seems, is a ****load of uncut evidence of how he facilitated the pharmstrong-legacy.
Why else these acts of pure desperation?

Think about it. He's putting shame and disgrace on his entire family. He's become a complete joke in Ireland.
Even his fraudulent buddies at the IOC and FIFA must be thinking "what a complete loser".
sniper
Veteran

Interviews

16 Aug 2013 16:51

So when Wiggins gave his interview about putting on weight to win the Worlds Time Trial - why didn't ANY journalist ask him that that just didn't 'add up' ?? Why hasn't Cycling News pressed him on this ? I can understand the Telegraph not knowing their **** from their elbow but why hasn't Velonews or Cycling News asked him to explain his rationale ??
User avatar Cycle Chic

16 Aug 2013 17:41

sniper wrote:
Even his fraudulent buddies at the IOC and FIFA must be thinking "what a complete loser".

Aren't they still backing him though as UCI president, or no?
Check out my Facebook page devoted to the release(hopefully)of a 30th anniversary edition of American Flyers re-release on dvd. "Like" and comment on it if you will.:D
User avatar 86TDFWinner

16 Aug 2013 18:15

Cycle Chic wrote:So when Wiggins gave his interview about putting on weight to win the Worlds Time Trial - why didn't ANY journalist ask him that that just didn't 'add up' ?? Why hasn't Cycling News pressed him on this ? I can understand the Telegraph not knowing their **** from their elbow but why hasn't Velonews or Cycling News asked him to explain his rationale ??

yep, there's bad cycling journalism.
but then the uncritical reporting on bartoli is even more astonishing.
sniper
Veteran

16 Aug 2013 18:21

86TDFWinner wrote:Aren't they still backing him though as UCI president, or no?

most probably.
but i bet they laugh at him behind his back.
sniper
Veteran

16 Aug 2013 18:23

Cycle Chic wrote:So when Wiggins gave his interview about putting on weight to win the Worlds Time Trial - why didn't ANY journalist ask him that that just didn't 'add up' ?? Why hasn't Cycling News pressed him on this ? I can understand the Telegraph not knowing their **** from their elbow but why hasn't Velonews or Cycling News asked him to explain his rationale ??

For the most part journalism is an issueing of statements which look like interviews.

Media outlet send out statements to the journalists they like and they print the story appearing if it was an actual interview. If you don't write largely flattering pieces then you get cut off. You no longer get the press releases. Then you have to write "according to AP" 10 hours after the embargo is lifted on certified releases.

It works in sports like cycling for Anglo riders very well. Hard to do for sports like football. You may reveal Wayne Rooney pays old aged prostitues but if cut that publication off they'll write about another team.

Not so in cycling. If you're not writing about Wiggins or Froome then you're out of the game. Cycling weekly and other such local publications have no choice but to appeal to the masses of Sky fans.

It's called business sense not journalism.

This is why Twitter (was) is hated so much. Controlling the message was difficult.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

17 Aug 2013 08:04

Cycle Chic wrote:So when Wiggins gave his interview about putting on weight to win the Worlds Time Trial - why didn't ANY journalist ask him that that just didn't 'add up' ??

That's a great question. Why the need to put on weight? Just show up with the 2012 physique and blow the doors off everyone again, no?
Bannockburn

17 Aug 2013 08:06

Bannockburn wrote:That's a great question. Why the need to put on weight? Just show up with the 2012 physique and blow the doors off everyone again, no?

The answer is simple to anyone who isn't blinded by their hatred of Wiggins and Sky
leon7766

17 Aug 2013 09:13

thehog wrote:For the most part journalism is an issueing of statements which look like interviews.

Media outlet send out statements to the journalists they like and they print the story appearing if it was an actual interview.,,,,,,,,,,

Not so in cycling. If you're not writing about Wiggins or Froome then you're out of the game. Cycling weekly and other such local publications have no choice but to appeal to the masses of Sky fans.

It's called business sense not journalism.

This is why Twitter (was) is hated so much. Controlling the message was difficult.

Hog, that was an outstanding post, totally summing up why anglo sports journalism is in a vortex that is only going one way right now and why Brailsford and Fran can take the p**s so often, like they do.

My only disagreement is with your brief mention of CW. Monopoly position in the mid 90's in the UK, saw its circulation halve, not under pressure from the internet, because other magazines started up and went past them. Just shocking editorial control. They had loads of customers who bought the thing, like myself, for decade after decade on subscription. They just seemed to have a teen-age-esq-man(boy)-crush on big Mig, Riis, Pantani and Virenque that then blossomed into total gooey, doey-eyed, drawing hearts on the cover of their magazine, love for Lance.
There were always fixes in the continental sport and you never had a clue what you were watching, in terms of peripheral results. But big Mig looking like he was sat on the prototype of the bike with the electric motor in the tubes, was just unbelievable. By 1998 what we all knew what we felt in our hearts was confirmed, we had just had the p**s taken out of us for the last 8 years every bit as much as Brailsford and Fran would enjoy.

Right then CW were at a cross-roads. Take and stance and turn off. They could take the domestic sport with them, via doing what they traditionally did well, which was write excellent pieces about an area of the sport they had total monopoly on, and leave Liggett and Wilcockson to continue to peddle fairy stories for the idiots and children. Or they could try and copy that pair. They did and then it seemed like love flipped into school-girl-evil-hiddden-hatred-that-nobody-must-know. I am sure those 8 page pull out colour extras - "This week we do a tribute to Richard Virenque the greatest king of the mountains known to the universe" were just some sort of evil plan, hoping that santa, (but not themselves) would come and expose Virenque and then it would make people feel bad about themselves later when they thought how stupid they were to have kept them in the lounge that long. The covers that featured "Lance - this week we too ride the same road he trained on 4 years ago" were enough to get me cancelling my subscription . Whilst domestically they went Sportive bonkers, "have you ever ridden through East Grinstead - no - well let us show you the route "thus alienating their long term captive audience.

CW have done well to survive. As their sales dropped I thought they were out for the count, but Fran, Dave, Beijing ,London, Brad and Froome have saved them from the oblivion they were driving themselves to. They should be forever grateful to Sir David, he more than any of their own efforts, rescued them from a sad end.

In 1998 there was one decent shot of anglo cycling journalism taking a different path. CW took the wrong route. It was down to Walsh and Kimmage to take the right one.
Last edited by Freddythefrog on 19 Jun 2016 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Freddythefrog

Lightweights v Heavyweights

17 Aug 2013 09:19

leon7766 wrote:The answer is simple to anyone who isn't blinded by their hatred of Wiggins and Sky

go on then.....
User avatar Cycle Chic

18 Aug 2013 04:44

leon7766 wrote:The answer is simple to anyone who isn't blinded by their hatred of Wiggins and Sky

I have no hatred of Wiggins and/or Sky. I don't invest myself in these things emotionally.

I'd explain that in detail and explain why it makes little sense to deviate from protocol that makes one the best in the world at his endeavor, but I won't bother because you're a painfully obvious poorly executed troll/alias/both.
Bannockburn

18 Aug 2013 21:32

Benotti69 wrote:And yet people believe that today's winners of the races are clean!

Some people believe the races are clean.

Others believe that a culture of doping still exists.

To make a blanket statement such as the one you did is pointless.

I don't think anyone believed DiLuca was clean this year after he tested positive and was banned.
TheBean

18 Aug 2013 21:57

TheBean wrote:Some people believe the races are clean.

I don't think anyone believed DiLuca was clean this year after he tested positive and was banned.

I dont think so, hence why i said it. McQuaid is still running the sport and I doubt he changed after Armstrong left, in fact he probably moved onto Contador and then when he got popped by a German journalist, not UCI who were trying to hide it, McQuaid dida deal with Sky.

Doping still exists, big time, why? because i have not seen where it might have changed or when. Ashenden dismissed the biopassport as not working, so how can riders be caught? oh yeah because they get desperate and stupid like Di Luca, Sayer, Santambrogio and others or McQuaid wants to hang someone out to dry for whatever reason, probably the bloodtesting machine donation never arrived, so bang there goes a rider for 2 years!

The testing is a joke.

Dopers are still winning the big races and the small ones too. It aint hard to see for those who can see.
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 00:28

Benotti69 wrote:I dont think so, hence why i said it. McQuaid is still running the sport and I doubt he changed after Armstrong left, in fact he probably moved onto Contador and then when he got popped by a German journalist, not UCI who were trying to hide it, McQuaid dida deal with Sky.

Doping still exists, big time, why? because i have not seen where it might have changed or when. Ashenden dismissed the biopassport as not working, so how can riders be caught? oh yeah because they get desperate and stupid like Di Luca, Sayer, Santambrogio and others or McQuaid wants to hang someone out to dry for whatever reason, probably the bloodtesting machine donation never arrived, so bang there goes a rider for 2 years!

The testing is a joke.

Dopers are still winning the big races and the small ones too. It aint hard to see for those who can see.

Someone accused you of making blanket statements, then you appear to answer with blanket statements.

That McQuaid is corrupt is not in dispute - but what "deal" was done with Sky?
And where has Ashenden "dismissed the biopassport as not working"?
User avatar Dr. Maserati
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 06:37

TheBean wrote:Some people believe the races are clean.

cycling's doping in the 80s and especially 90s and 2000s is formidably well documented.
cycling's alleged cleanliness at present is fully undocumented.
a blanket statement would thus be to say, for instance, that present-day cycling is clean.
and to believe it would be, well, a blanket believe, i guess.
sniper
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 14:45

Dr. Maserati wrote:Someone accused you of making blanket statements, then you appear to answer with blanket statements.

That McQuaid is corrupt is not in dispute - but what "deal" was done with Sky?
And where has Ashenden "dismissed the biopassport as not working"?

I said McQuaid 'probably'.

Ashenden resigned from biopassport.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 14:52

Benotti69 wrote:I said McQuaid 'probably'.

Ashenden resigned from biopassport.

The 'probably' was to do with Contador not Sky. But lets pretend its about Sky,
what deal do you believe McQuaid would do for Sky? And why only Sky?

Ashenden left because he was being forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement, nothing to do with the Bio Passport and how it works.
User avatar Dr. Maserati
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 18:46

Dr. Maserati wrote:The 'probably' was to do with Contador not Sky. But lets pretend its about Sky,
what deal do you believe McQuaid would do for Sky? And why only Sky?

Lets pretend McQuaid and his predecessor made positives disappear, well that is a lucrative business. Join the dots from there.......

Dr. Maserati wrote:Ashenden left because he was being forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement, nothing to do with the Bio Passport and how it works.

Which means, to me at least, it doesn't work. But we know it doesn't work. It didn't 'catch' Armstrong.

User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

19 Aug 2013 18:59

Benotti69 wrote:Lets pretend McQuaid and his predecessor made positives disappear, well that is a lucrative business. Join the dots from there.......

No, let's not pretend.
I believe HV hid positives & McQ backs him in that and other corrupt actions.
But the ability to "hide positives" since WADA in 04 is almost impossible.

But more to the point YOU mentioned Sky, why only them?

Benotti69 wrote:L
Which means, to me at least, it doesn't work. But we know it doesn't work. It didn't 'catch' Armstrong.

I am not interested in what you think, you said Ashenden "dismissed the bio passport as not working".
I am asking where he said that.
User avatar Dr. Maserati
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic