Register

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Aug 2015 14:51

The threshold I believe is "99.9% certainty".

Early in the days of the passport Ross Tucker did a series on it, and that was the standard set at that time.

I would hope they have loosened the standard now, but see no evidence for it.

Additionally the passport limits specifically remain flat, no matter what the athlete is doing.
A completely flat profile during a 3 week grand tour is not normal. A significant gain in HCT in the 3rd week, whilst the ret% is low (so proportion of new RBC being produced) is so far from normal as to deserve the all caps NOT NORMAL.

(If you are not producing new red cells at least faster than your baseline rate, how do you get more red cells as time goes by, except be reinfusion)
User avatar Catwhoorg

11 Aug 2015 18:36

The passport also has massive holes WRT samples taken at altitude or just after returning from altitude. So now teams just stay at altitude camps all season long. Handy, huh?
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

05 Feb 2016 21:41

He's Back!
To clean up Lupus

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-signs-with-lupus-racing-team/
After months of uncertainty, Chris Horner has finally found a team for the 2016 season, signing on with the Lupus Racing Team. The news comes days after Slovenian Jure Kocjan, who had been slated to lead the up and coming squad, was provisionally suspended by the UCI after one of his 2012 doping control samples was re-analysed and found positive for EPO. The team fired Kocjan upon hearing the news.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

06 Feb 2016 23:58

So sad to see Horner got Lupus.
dwyatt

Re:

07 Feb 2016 11:44

TourOfSardinia wrote:He's Back!
To clean up Lupus

After months of uncertainty, Chris Horner has finally found a team for the 2016 season, signing on with the Lupus Racing Team. The news comes days after Slovenian Jure Kocjan, who had been slated to lead the up and coming squad, was provisionally suspended by the UCI after one of his 2012 doping control samples was re-analysed and found positive for EPO. The team fired Kocjan upon hearing the news.

I guess he was brought on board for his 'experience' and little else.

Horner had 8 course of anti-biotics to clear a chest infection recently and was looking at course number 9 so he aint a healthy 44year old. He aint going to be any good on a bike judging by those lungs full of gunk!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Feb 2016 17:00

Benotti69 wrote:
To clean up Lupus

Horner had 8 course of anti-biotics to clear a chest infection recently and was looking at course number 9 so he aint a healthy 44year old. He aint going to be any good on a bike judging by those lungs full of gunk!

Where did you read that he had 8 courses of anti-biotics? Do you have a link Benotti?

I would venture to guess that if after 5 or 6 unsuccessful runs of anti-biotics your body has built up some sort of immunity to the treatment?

8 or 9 try's is just insane, imo.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

07 Feb 2016 19:22

Irondan wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
To clean up Lupus

Where did you read that he had 8 courses of anti-biotics? Do you have a link Benotti?

I would venture to guess that if after 5 or 6 unsuccessful runs of anti-biotics your body has built up some sort of immunity to the treatment?

8 or 9 try's is just insane, imo.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/agent-horner-wants-to-race-in-2016_393116

Horner told Business Insider in December he was diagnosed with a lung infection in October that’s required nine rounds of antibiotics.

:eek:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

09 Feb 2016 22:50

MacRoadie wrote:
the delgados wrote:
Lots of very knowledgeable people here.

Only 12...

Hi Mac. Can you believe this is happening again? Oh, and riding with Olheiser...there's a credible example of over 30 purity.
Oldermanish

07 Jun 2016 09:29

Poor Chris, he couldn't get his bike to work :)

hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzieak_O4Q
User avatar danielovichdk2

Re:

07 Jun 2016 10:12

danielovichdk2 wrote:Poor Chris, he couldn't get his bike to work :)

hahaha

i think Chris is old school.
classic roid rage.
at least no signs of a motor there.
respect.
sniper
Veteran

07 Jun 2016 10:50

sniper wrote:

hahaha

classic roid rage.
respect.

There is a sign in the youtube comments:
If he'd won it would have been a travesty. He took a tow from Shimano NRS the entire way back to the field. Fortunately he's washed up and just DNF's most of his races now.

I also like the testosterone comment.
Tienus

07 Jun 2016 17:26

The smackdown was applied shortly after he won the Vuelta.
User avatar the delgados

07 Jun 2016 18:29

From the last lap video feed (http://live.phillybikerace.com/video/4474/2016-mens-last-lap)
- mechanical up Lemon Hill at ~13:25 - 14:00. Commentary: "The chances of him getting back right now are pretty small"
- calling for neutral support at ~14:15. "Looks like the machine is rolling pretty good right now". At 15:02 "He knows it, it's over".
- support arrives again ~15:18. "I'm gonna guess throwing your bike on the pavement doesn't help your rear brake alignment a whole lot either".
- super tow underway through ~16:00 where they cut away. "Luckily he's going to get a pretty good tow there by Shimano as they try to adjust what looked top be a rear brake alignment issue, which tends to happen when you slam your 15 pound bike onto the pavement."
- ~17:15 Horner back in the bunch. "Did he get back in?" "Certainly a big pull from the Shimano car to get Horner back in." "Not only is he back, but he's through the field and back to the front."

Maybe tonight I'll look for landmarks in the video to estimate how far/fast he was pulled :)
mojomonkey

07 Jun 2016 23:13

Tienus wrote:
sniper wrote:

hahaha

classic roid rage.
respect.

There is a sign in the youtube comments:
If he'd won it would have been a travesty. He took a tow from Shimano NRS the entire way back to the field. Fortunately he's washed up and just DNF's most of his races now.

I also like the testosterone comment.

Better to be washed up, than never to have washed at all!
jmdirt

Re:

12 Jun 2016 12:33

the delgados wrote:The smackdown was applied shortly after he won the Vuelta.

:(
User avatar ciranda

Re:

13 Jun 2016 06:33

Catwhoorg wrote:
A completely flat profile during a 3 week grand tour is not normal. A significant gain in HCT in the 3rd week, whilst the ret% is low (so proportion of new RBC being produced) is so far from normal as to deserve the all caps NOT NORMAL.

Also note, there's no test protocol for "too normal." There also appears to be no test standard for an "in competition" window among other problems that make grand tour doping easier.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

13 Jun 2016 14:42

jmdirt wrote:Better to be washed up, than never to have washed at all!

And as long as most fans hold that to be true, there will always be doping in cycling.
User avatar carton

18 Jun 2016 15:37

carton wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Better to be washed up, than never to have washed at all!

And as long as most fans hold that to be true, there will always be doping in cycling.

:confused:
jmdirt

Re: When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

23 Jun 2018 07:21

@bradsohner

Chris Horner is back. He is registered and will race at the @usacycling Pro Road National Championships this Sunday with @Illuminatebike.
pastronef

Re: When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

23 Jun 2018 10:44

pastronef wrote:@bradsohner

Chris Horner is back. He is registered and will race at the @usacycling Pro Road National Championships this Sunday with @Illuminatebike.

Gotta love Pappy. Hope he's wearing a jersey with a big middle finger on it.
User avatar veganrob

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic