Log in:  

Register

Evans and his meeting with Ferrari?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

27 Feb 2017 01:57

Ferminal wrote:
spiritualride wrote:
delbified wrote: Anyway, he never really climbed with the best. He hung on in the mountains for dear life,


Not true at all. Look at the results. He climbed with the best consistently for years.

heh, I've always found this line amusing, as though being dropped by Contador makes you a mediocre climber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzeS8JUPh2w

Finished behind a bunch of jet fuel monsters and ahead of another bunch in one of the more packed top30s you will see. One of Evans' top 5 climbing performances (this version easily beats the field in 2008 and 2010).

That was right up there! People easily forget that even Ferrari thought that Lance was best in 04/05 and Valverde was probably the best hilly one day rider in the world at that time. If Evans climbed like that in 07/08 he'd have beaten Contador and Sastre. I have no doubt.

Then there's his TTing at the 2007 tour... :eek: It took a fully topped up Vino and a ridiculously full retard Leipheimer just to beat him. Cancellara, Millar, Kloden, Kasch, Chavanel, Popovych, Astarloza - all totally blown away. Evans destroyed them all.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,910
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

27 Feb 2017 20:14

42x16ss wrote:
Ferminal wrote:
spiritualride wrote:
delbified wrote: Anyway, he never really climbed with the best. He hung on in the mountains for dear life,


Not true at all. Look at the results. He climbed with the best consistently for years.

heh, I've always found this line amusing, as though being dropped by Contador makes you a mediocre climber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzeS8JUPh2w

Finished behind a bunch of jet fuel monsters and ahead of another bunch in one of the more packed top30s you will see. One of Evans' top 5 climbing performances (this version easily beats the field in 2008 and 2010).

That was right up there! People easily forget that even Ferrari thought that Lance was best in 04/05 and Valverde was probably the best hilly one day rider in the world at that time. If Evans climbed like that in 07/08 he'd have beaten Contador and Sastre. I have no doubt.

Then there's his TTing at the 2007 tour... :eek: It took a fully topped up Vino and a ridiculously full retard Leipheimer just to beat him. Cancellara, Millar, Kloden, Kasch, Chavanel, Popovych, Astarloza - all totally blown away. Evans destroyed them all.


There's an interview with Lance where he's asked what his peak form was and he says the 2005 Tour was the only one he went into knowing that barring a crash he would win without even trying hard because his numbers from training were considerably better than ever.

And that's exactly what he did
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,257
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

27 Feb 2017 20:20

I would have thought it would have been 2001. I've heard that mentioned somewhere, I think by him, but you are probably right!
I don't really think there is too much difference between the different editions of Lance. In 2005, you are right, he was in very much cruise control. As was he in basically every TdF apart from 2003.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

27 Feb 2017 21:01

In 2001 he said he had reached his peak, but in 2009 after the Prologue he said he would have smashed the field on that course in 2005 or something along those lines. so yeah, apparently he reached new levels in 2005.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,564
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

Re:

27 Feb 2017 21:23

kingjr wrote:In 2001 he said he had reached his peak, but in 2009 after the Prologue he said he would have smashed the field on that course in 2005 or something along those lines. so yeah, apparently he reached new levels in 2005.

I think I saw the same article. Lance also said at one point that Contador's form in 2009 was probably good enough to have beaten him around 2-3 times during his run, probably in 1999, and somewhere about 2001-03.

From the way Lance dealt with Pantani I doubt that Contador could have beaten 2000 Lance and 04/05 was a farce. Armstrong was tag teamed by a full retard Basso and a firing Sastre, yet still controlled both with ease.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,910
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

27 Feb 2017 21:45

42x16ss wrote:
kingjr wrote:In 2001 he said he had reached his peak, but in 2009 after the Prologue he said he would have smashed the field on that course in 2005 or something along those lines. so yeah, apparently he reached new levels in 2005.

I think I saw the same article. Lance also said at one point that Contador's form in 2009 was probably good enough to have beaten him around 2-3 times during his run, probably in 1999, and somewhere about 2001-03.

From the way Lance dealt with Pantani I doubt that Contador could have beaten 2000 Lance and 04/05 was a farce. Armstrong was tag teamed by a full retard Basso and a firing Sastre, yet still controlled both with ease.
I think Lance would have had his hands full with Pantani 2000 if he had ever reached his pre-ban level. He still was the only one who simply outclimbed Lance on a TdF mountain stage (before his 1st retirement). I don't count the handful of seconds from Zülle and Virenque in '99 or Ullrich in '03.

I have no clue what Contador could have done :p But I rate Pantani higher as a climber. Contador would have probably been stronger in the TT, although Pantani showed that he could do that too if he really had to.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,564
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

27 Feb 2017 21:47

Didn't find it, but found an interview with Dr. Ferrari from one of Alex Gibney's films

Ferrari says Lance's best 1k test was over 7w/kg and then goes on: "The best Lance was the year of the last Tour win. He won the Tour like this [pretends to smoke a cigar], Lance took it easy because if you win by too much then everybody....[imitates people complaining]"
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,257
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

23 Mar 2017 22:20

Vaughters dumping on Evans

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters

@IlCobra21 @ulif As he used to brag about "I'm an Aussie with a Ferrari motor!"

User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,517
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re:

30 Apr 2018 17:31

The Hitch wrote:
86TDFWinner wrote:

I disagree with Cadel there,


But ce's continued defense of dopers has, of course, absolutely nothing to do with the question of whether he would dope himself. How convenient:rolleyes:


As I've stated a few times, if it's found out that Cadel is guilty, then I won't be a fan of his anymore. Just show us the proof he did, so we can end this discussion.


How convenient. You will treat Cadel as if he were clean until an investigation that you know very well will never take place because there is no motivation in Australia to bring down their only tdf hero, brings him down.

Until such time you will cling to this highly illogical notion that it might hypothetically, with like a 0.001% chance, be possible for a peloton in which every single other major contender is heavily charged and even those who pass every single test are admitting years later to being on insane amounts of drugs, for a clean rider to rise above all of them and beat the power of epo and blood transfusions and all those dopers who with drugs are able to train far harder than he ever would through, umm, personal talent and will power:o

And if that isn't enough this Hercules character never actually did anything actually anti doping or made any attempt to clean the sport up and never gave a **** about whether it was clean or not. He befriended and behaved just like all the dopers, defended them when they fell and the whole ridiculous notion that he was different came from the now disproved racist idea that English speakers don't dope.

Even the people who argue that cycling is clean NOW, essentially throw Evans mid 2000s strength to the wolves by saying it was impossible to compete with dopers until the sport cleaned itself up.

But you continue to delude yourself that because, like the majority of dopers, Evans never failed a test, the chances of his being clean are 50 50 or whatever arbitrary figure you want to put on it.

In other words behave exactly as the Armstrong groupies did. that no matter how much evidence there is against a rider being clean, none of it matters as long as the authorities don't provide a smoking gun. Any evidence or argument that isn't a smoking gun that will get the rider his results stripped is considered conveniently meaningless, as it allows the fan to maintain his delusion. Doesn't matter if everyone involved in the sport is saying it was impossible to finish t10 in tdfs without major charging. Evans who finished 2nd, flew away from dopers like they were wearing bags of bricks on their backs and finished as the world number 1 has a 50% chance of having miraculously been able to do all that without so much as a cough sweet:rolleyes:

exactly like the Armstrong fans. Only it's ok because it's not Armstrong.:rolleyes:

Good post, was guilty at the time.
User avatar 86TDFWinner
Member
 
Posts: 1,698
Joined: 11 Aug 2012 21:10
Location: Southern California

Previous

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Back to top