Register

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

29 Oct 2012 20:15

There's no skeltons in the closet for Shane is there?
Basecase

29 Oct 2012 20:17

Basecase wrote:There's no skeltons in the closet for Shane is there?

Ask Darryl Webster,he might know a thing or two.
User avatar Telmisartan new

29 Oct 2012 20:20

Sutton and Rogers seem to be doing a very good job of staying out of the media-glare. Everything has focussed on Yates etc, the question is whether the media will keep digging or will go back to sleep.
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

29 Oct 2012 20:34

Anyone apart from Daryl Webster know anything?

Slightly before my time though I did race with him a few times, loud and Australian but never heard anything concrete about him being dirty. To be fair, he was a good bike rider too, can't think of any 'unbelievable' performances.
bobbins

29 Oct 2012 22:10

Mods - let's get this one closed down. There's a million and one Sky threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on Shane.

We could literally open a thread on anybody who has anything to do with a WT team in the desperate hope that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody that could smear some s***, at this rate.
King Of The Wolds

29 Oct 2012 22:18

Certainly from reading Jeff Connors Field of Fire, it doesn't appear to my mind that Sutton did anything illegal in his one TdF
MellowJohnny

29 Oct 2012 22:22

If there is nothing to discuss then the thread will demonstrate that there is nothing on Sutton.

To demand it be shut down smacks of censorship. Afterall, about 3 weeks ago we didn't know that there was so much on Julich etc
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

29 Oct 2012 22:36

King Of The Wolds wrote:Mods - let's get this one closed down. There's a million and one Sky threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on Shane.

We could literally open a thread on anybody who has anything to do with a WT team in the desperate hope that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody that could smear some s***, at this rate.

No mate, let's not shut this one down. There's enough out there to nail Sutton on all fronts. It's not up to us to do the nailing - and if BC and SKY can't see it then they are complicit.
User avatar esafosfina

29 Oct 2012 22:57

King Of The Wolds wrote:Mods - let's get this one closed down. There's a million and one Sky threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on Shane.

There's a million and one ______ threads, and it appears nobody has absolutely anything at all on ________. That goes for more than half the threads in The Clinic. This is a discussion forum, people tend to discuss things here. Even exciting new teams that win by doing everything differently and better. Doesn't that last bit sound so 1999?
User avatar pedaling squares

29 Oct 2012 23:16

esafosfina wrote:No mate, let's not shut this one down. There's enough out there to nail Sutton on all fronts. It's not up to us to do the nailing - and if BC and SKY can't see it then they are complicit.

I've said my bit elsewhere and it would appear a couple of other peeps also had had things to say to the Sunday Mail reporter a couple of weeks ago.
You don't have to go far with enquiries with those riding in the 80,s , early 90,s to find views on the guy that don't exactly sit with Sky,s stated intentions.
No, he never did test positive...neither did lots of others...:rolleyes:
Darryl Webster

29 Oct 2012 23:30

Darryl Webster wrote:I've said my bit elsewhere and it would appear a couple of other peeps also had had things to say to the Sunday Mail reporter a couple of weeks ago.
You don't have to go far with enquiries with those riding in the 80,s , early 90,s to find views on the guy that don't exactly sit with Sky,s stated intentions.

Sutton's results look like Froome's before Froome went gangbusters!

My old friend Colin Sturgess would fill in some gaps on Sutton. I think Colin has given up talking though!
User avatar thehog
Veteran

30 Oct 2012 00:38

No harm in letting it run is there?

If there is a smear, surely if it has no grounds, I gather SS would have recourse to damages to the forum and the author could then be traced? - or how would such work?

Anyway, I note it was stated on another thread that Darryl W could elaborate but I gather he wishes not to in a public forum? Darryl?
Basecase

30 Oct 2012 00:39

Darryl Webster wrote:I've said my bit elsewhere and it would appear a couple of other peeps also had had things to say to the Sunday Mail reporter a couple of weeks ago.

Any links for the references above? Much thanks
Basecase

30 Oct 2012 08:08

Basecase wrote:Any links for the references above? Much thanks

Just do a search on Darryl's posts.
LugHugger

30 Oct 2012 08:29

Mrs John Murphy wrote:Sutton and Rogers seem to be doing a very good job of staying out of the media-glare. Everything has focussed on Yates etc, the question is whether the media will keep digging or will go back to sleep.

The Sunday Telegraph had as their dominating picture of the front page "Yates in Yellow" and a headline - exclusive, BRITISH CYCLING STAR QUITS OVER DOPING as they broke the Yates story.

The Sky press release, put out late on Sunday, in response to that scoop is totally contradictory. (As was written on inner ring: ) either the press release is a lie or the story in the Telegraph is a lie, they cannot both be true - fact.

Gallagher needed to have a very, very, good source when his editor asked - is this playground chatter or genuine - how big do we go? And the major picture on the front page of the best selling broadsheet is big. I reckon only 5 individuals would have that "gravitas" in the eyes of the editor.

Whilst Sutton may not have a track record that includes any positives that resulted in sanctions (then again neither did Lance or Yates - so that proves absolutely nothing), many aspects of his "professional" behaviour are totally incompatible with that of an individual in the position of a National Coach. He has a track record of leaking stories to the press and playing at pundit. That this is further compromised by the conflict of interest "designed in" to that post-holder having employment with a trade team advertising a media empire, is just outrageous. [UK Sport - hang your head in shame - it is your "Saville" moment.]

Sutton obviously was feeling the heat after the piece in the Mail on Sunday, on the previous weekend. The "Employee" was not named but the responses of the "employee" were like those Sutton would utter.

Four of the five I can think of, only have motives for keeping the story hidden. Two of those four have so obviously acted to "call" the story a lie.

Gallagher knows who his source was, and so do Fran and Brailsford. The chances of us getting the truth from the 2 later individuals is about as great as the concept that Sean is just unfortunate in the timing of his "ill health" retirement, as the releases would attempt to have us believe.

The sad thing is the protection offered by the press being so cowardly in respect of Lance, was a major part in the reason why the con was perpetuated. Here was a single example of a paper exposing Sky. Sadly all the vomit inducing "Star Yates retires on health grounds - will be impossible to replace" stuff they published afterwards was not worthy. I am not sure quite what his managers think of what went on but hopefully Gallagher will, in the not too distant future, expose his source.
Last edited by Freddythefrog on 19 Jun 2016 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Freddythefrog

30 Oct 2012 08:35

To me the biggest clue to Sutton's doping is that he rides a bike.
del1962
Veteran

30 Oct 2012 09:23

Freddythefrog wrote:The Sunday Telegraph had as their dominating picture of the front page "Yates in Yellow" and a headline - exclusive, BRITISH CYCLING STAR QUITS OVER DOPING as they broke the Yates story.

The frustration you feel is coming through, plain as a day.

I wanted to say thanks - as someone in the antipodes - for your analysis and recounting of the timeline of scooped newsflash and subsequent laboured attempt at managing the PR around the scoop.

I am sure without your appraisal, we here would have gone on our merry ways none the wiser.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

30 Oct 2012 18:11

LugHugger wrote:Just do a search on Darryl's posts.

I had a scour through them but found nothing upon 1st glance - any links would be appreciated.

Also, anyone have link for the recent Sunday Mail article mentioned above by Darryl? Thanks
Basecase

Shane Sutton

17 Nov 2012 21:30

Here is the link for the Mail on Sunday interview with Shane Sutton..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2220801/Team-Sky-braced-departures.html
orbeas

I got it wrong.

19 Nov 2012 22:36

Freddythefrog wrote:The Sunday Telegraph had as their dominating picture of the front page "Yates in Yellow" and a headline - exclusive, BRITISH CYCLING STAR QUITS OVER DOPING as they broke the Yates story.

Gallagher needed to have a very, very, good source when his editor asked - is this playground chatter or genuine - how big do we go?

Sutton obviously was feeling the heat after the piece in the Mail on Sunday, on the previous weekend.

......I am not sure quite what his managers think of what went on but hopefully Gallagher will, in the not too distant future, expose his source

That was pretty dull of me. Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/

Brendan is getting the red carpet laid out for him by Fran. Access to all the stars. Treatment deluxe at Glasgow ?
Last edited by Freddythefrog on 19 Jun 2016 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Freddythefrog

Next

Return to The Clinic