Log in:  

Register

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

20 Mar 2017 20:12

None of you chaps have any right to express your thoughts on such a matter as Tim Hunt's sexist remarks because, unlike me, you have no idea of the real experience of being a woman and the daily horrors we women face at the hands of an institutionally sexist, gender-biased patriarchy.... :lol:
Electress
Member
 
Posts: 1,030
Joined: 25 Aug 2014 23:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 20:19

Robert21 wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:[Just in case anyone is paying attention to this character, it's worth pointing out that Tim Hunt did not have his career destroyed. He caused controversy when he made a stupid and sexist speech, which even he admits was stupid and sexist. It led to a few months of embarrassment and his resignation from various positions, of a mostly honorary nature. He remains an eminent scientist and has as much work as a wealthy man in his mid 70s wants to carry out.

Hunt was a genuine victim of the authoritarian, politically correct thought police and a good example of how they have helped to create just another tyranny.


Indeed, there is no tyranny greater than a man suffering embarrassment when he publicly embarrasses himself by making a speech including sexist remarks in front of a crowd. The truest authoritarianism happens when people think less of you because of your own stupid behaviour. And of course no career is more truly ruined than that of the man who is still in highly paid and prestigious employment.

Just look at the language characters like this use to describe a wealthy man suffering embarrassment: "tyranny", "authoritarianism", "thought police". They have no such overblown sympathy for the situation of a young woman who, for instance, complains of sexist bullying at work.
Zinoviev Letter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,505
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 20:23

Robert21 wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:[Just in case anyone is paying attention to this character, it's worth pointing out that Tim Hunt did not have his career destroyed. He caused controversy when he made a stupid and sexist speech, which even he admits was stupid and sexist. It led to a few months of embarrassment and his resignation from various positions, of a mostly honorary nature. He remains an eminent scientist and has as much work as a wealthy man in his mid 70s wants to carry out.

Hunt was a genuine victim of the authoritarian, politically correct thought police and a good example of how they have helped to create just another tyranny.

He did not make a 'stupid and sexist speech' He made a throw-away joke as part of a speech praising the achievements of women scientists in Korea, following his joke with "now seriously" to emphasise he was making a joke, something those out to destroy him chose to ignore. In response to the storm whipped up by the twitter mob the UCL immediately demanded that he resign or be sacked. He was then forced to resign from The European Research Council. In the end his wife, also a leading UK scientist, was forced to leave her post so the pair could move to Japan to continue their research. Despite the article below, The Guardian played a central role in pillorying Hunt, regarding the personal price he and his wife paid as being a price well worth paying to further its overtly feminist agenda, something the paper has remained unapologetic about.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/13/tim-hunt-hung-out-to-dry-interview-mary-collins


The whole thoughtpolice and the hatethought stuff is pretty weird, and sounds a bit unhinged. Like tin-foil unhinged. That being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just as having free-will and making up your own mind is important (despite the apparent moral ignorance involved), there is this other important thing (especially for Sutton at BC, and for most us with a job) called professionalism which generally doesn't include the bad behavior and poor judgment Sky/BC have shown. If Sutton had it, he wouldn't be in this mess. Same goes for SBW and SDB and the other lot involved. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
User avatar GraftPunk
Junior Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 20:43

GraftPunk wrote: there is this other important thing (especially for Sutton at BC, and for most us with a job) called professionalism which generally doesn't include the bad behavior and poor judgment Sky/BC have shown. If Sutton had it, he wouldn't be in this mess. Same goes for SBW and SDB and the other lot involved. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Good points, well made. However, if you want to end someone's career, accusing them of unprofessionalism might not do the job and is open to challenge. On the other hand, accuse them of 'sexism' and, in the current political climate, you know that the twitter mob and media will be all over it and it is 'game over' for them. :)
Robert21
Member
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 07:45

Re: Re:

20 Mar 2017 21:20

Robert21 wrote:
GraftPunk wrote: there is this other important thing (especially for Sutton at BC, and for most us with a job) called professionalism which generally doesn't include the bad behavior and poor judgment Sky/BC have shown. If Sutton had it, he wouldn't be in this mess. Same goes for SBW and SDB and the other lot involved. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Good points, well made. However, if you want to end someone's career, accusing them of unprofessionalism might not do the job and is open to challenge. On the other hand, accuse them of 'sexism' and, in the current political climate, you know that the twitter mob and media will be all over it and it is 'game over' for them. :)


Jess Varnish was vindicated so the accusation of 'sexism' was more than that.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,190
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

21 Mar 2017 00:16

I would like to remind the commenters in this thread that any off topic rants and personal attacks will be removed.

Please post to the topic at hand in an impersonal, friendly, and civil manner.

Cheers :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 5,061
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 21:03

Robert21 wrote:
GraftPunk wrote: there is this other important thing (especially for Sutton at BC, and for most us with a job) called professionalism which generally doesn't include the bad behavior and poor judgment Sky/BC have shown. If Sutton had it, he wouldn't be in this mess. Same goes for SBW and SDB and the other lot involved. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Good points, well made. However, if you want to end someone's career, accusing them of unprofessionalism might not do the job and is open to challenge. On the other hand, accuse them of 'sexism' and, in the current political climate, you know that the twitter mob and media will be all over it and it is 'game over' for them. :)


So now every man who is stuck in the past where Men were Men and women were chained to the sink, should get a free pass and all the people who have moved on should shut up and let them be because some people think it is too much PC for their tastes. And after all, all these people are trying to do is end the careers of very good honourable people.

Sorry never going to happen.
Slavery was not wrong in 1780, it wasn't even illegal. The people of the time thought that negros (as they were called in those times, not my term) were sub humans who were there to be of use to the white superior humans who ran the world.

Luckily for the world as a whole this thought process has now been proved to be wrong. Although many people thousands died and a civil war was fought to get that to happen. And in some parts of the world slavery is still in existence.

Around 100 years ago women were thought of as too stupid and emotionally charged to be given the serious task of voting. Luckily this also has been proven to be a ridiculous and stupid thought process and those men who stuck by this thought and pushed this agenda were thankfully removed.

Hopefully, at some point the gender disparity in our society which pervades throughout our structures; and is now seen in situations where men with these thoughts either bully or use their power to marginalise or discriminate against women; will also fall by the wayside. However until that time people who truly believe deep down that they are superior to women. Like Tim Hunt, Shane Sutton and Donald Trump will continue to slip up in public or private and have to live with the shame that they rightly should feel.

Maybe their apologists are actually trying to justify their own inner thoughts which are more and more out of step with the society around them?

Over time all things change and evolve - maybe some people just need to catch up
Rob27172
Junior Member
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 24 Feb 2015 14:15

Re: Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

21 Mar 2017 23:32

gillan1969 wrote:However, "...dressed like an Australian's nightmare" gets a pass :)
Love that reference, even as a "Sheila".
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,231
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Previous

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], King Boonen and 8 guests

Back to top