Register

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

05 Apr 2017 05:05

Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

05 Apr 2017 08:29

yaco wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
yaco wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
yaco wrote:Sport and in this case cycling is a microcosm of society where bullying is rampant in all institutions of life - Society has a poor history in willingly acknowledging bullying and acting on bullying - I chuckle when people rail about taxpayer's money spent on cycling - Reckon there is more extensive cases of bullying involving taxpayers dollars.

So?

Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean people's bad behaviour is acceptable.

Sutton and BC bullied people. Crying that there are worst things out there is pitiful.

Where did I post its acceptable ? My post is how society can be and is selective in how they acknowledge or handle cases of bullying - And individuals as a rule and institutions as a fact, pay lip service to bullying - For example, Educational authorities have done little or nothing to combat bullying in schools which continues to manifest itself in later life.

This is the clinic not an educational forum, going off topic to point that other institutions have bullying cultures is not relevant to cycling and the clinic or Sutton.

Sutton is a sexist bully as many who trained under him have pointed out. Looking for other bullying to somehow appease what Sutton has done appears to somehow saying it happens elsewhere so whats the fuss.

#fail.

Maybe discuss your worries with moderators - Many sports are discussed in this part of the forum and of course this spins off at times into societal issues - Pity you failed to address my argument.

the bullying as schools I presume you mean inter-children bullying...at BC the analogy would be more akin to the teachers and the head teacher doing the bullying...so, apples and pears.....
gillan1969

05 Apr 2017 10:13

User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

05 Apr 2017 12:19

What a strange article. Not sure what to make of it.

It's perfectly legit for him to support Sutton from his experience alone, but it says nothing about other riders experiences.

And cuddles and care bears is exactly what he needed and received with his mocha-choca-latte tete-a-tete with Sutton.

And when have any of the riders who have spoken up about bullying said they wanted it to be all ''cuddly care bears''?

'Tis a bit odd...
Dan2016

05 Apr 2017 13:36

Is this getting ahead of the "narative"/ report coming out?
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

09 Apr 2017 23:56

IMO the issue Jess Varnish is one of abuse of authority by Sutton as he did not like what was said by her to the media.
A guy like Sutton while capable to understanding the issues of men like Tennant may not capable of understanding women or para-athletes. This is why he should have being in charge of the mens team only. This should have been the job of Brailsford and Cookson and they failed to see his limitations. The funding quota, the time scheduling of the track, the personnel all should have been separated under different administrators.
Having said that, success is not possible without a military style discipline which means a few bruised egos.
IndianCyclist

10 Apr 2017 04:01

It means absolutely nothing what the likes of Tennant or Hoy or Wiggins say in regards to never being badly treated themselves. They weren't bullied obviously. A real pity they have no regard for those who were. Sad actually.
Craigee

Re:

10 Apr 2017 07:22

IndianCyclist wrote:IMO the issue Jess Varnish is one of abuse of authority by Sutton as he did not like what was said by her to the media.
A guy like Sutton while capable to understanding the issues of men like Tennant may not capable of understanding women or para-athletes. This is why he should have being in charge of the mens team only. This should have been the job of Brailsford and Cookson and they failed to see his limitations. The funding quota, the time scheduling of the track, the personnel all should have been separated under different administrators.
Having said that, success is not possible without a military style discipline which means a few bruised egos.

Military discipline is underpinned by generic rules, one key issue of the complainants is that the only rule of law was the whim of Sutton.

It's becoming clear that he is selectively capable of understanding the issues of people .i.e. the ones he favours.

'While he does have an understanding of cycling, it isn’t a role to look after his mates, have his favourites and make decisions in an arbitrary and capricious manner. There is a lot more that is required to be in that position and Shane didn’t have that.’ - Nicole Cooke.
German Spies…. “Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!”
One of our spies...” Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!”

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett VC DSO (Blackadder goes forth)
The Carrot

10 Apr 2017 14:36

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usa-womens-team-pursuit-coach-dismissed-from-program-after-safesport-complaint/

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. Maybe it is human nature for coaches to prefer winners. And men. :confused:
User avatar spetsa

12 Apr 2017 14:33

Publication of the UK Sport independent enquiry report is now slated for May (once the Maxwellisation process is complete). The leaks suggest it will be highly critical of Brailsford and Sutton

Brailsford will likely respond with a tear in the eye/wobbling bottom lip press conference like Tony Blair did after the Chilcot report was released (Brailsford and Blair shame the same PR man after all). The response will mostly be howls of derision (a la Blair post-Chilcot). But Brailsford will ride it out. He's got the Sky gig and the Murdochs have got his back (they stayed loyal to Rebekah Brookes post-phone hacking after all)

More interesting is where that will leave Sutton. He won't get the Team GB track squad job back. The Aussie track squad job has been filled and it's hard to imagine the French employing him. And Sutton is chippy. He won't like being hung out to dry
Wiggo's Package

Re:

12 Apr 2017 17:21

Craigee wrote:It means absolutely nothing what the likes of Tennant or Hoy or Wiggins say in regards to never being badly treated themselves. They weren't bullied obviously. A real pity they have no regard for those who were. Sad actually.

I agree, It's almost like saying "I've never been shot with a pistol" implies that no one else has. It might be safest to take all it at simple data points, and in the meantime we get to see who the golden boys/girls were for Sutton and BC.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

13 Apr 2017 00:18

IndianCyclist wrote:IMO the issue Jess Varnish is one of abuse of authority by Sutton as he did not like what was said by her to the media.

Frankly, I suspect it's a lot simpler than that. I just don't think Sutton - nor Brailsford - has any sincere interest in women's cycling. Likewise para-sports. Probably nothing except the Blue Riband events which cover them in reflect glory. I can sympathise in a way - I don't give a rat's *** about women's sport either (even though I participated at a reasonably high level once. I didn't then, either.) But then, I'm not involved in the management of said sport and I am not paid to do so.

Whatever comes out doesn't seem like it will matter to be honest. The peak of the storm has passed, and unless there is something very concrete and scandalous, 'poor governance and bullying' kinds of criticisms will be batted away with 'we've noted the findings; we take this very seriously; clearly we still have things to learn' blah blah blah.
Electress

14 Apr 2017 06:44

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/04/12/british-cycling-performance-director-stephen-park-says-will/

Stephen Park, British Cycling's new performance director, says he will not prevent his riders from using Shane Sutton as a coach if they wish to continue do so, and provided the Australian is willing to help out. Park said he would likely turn to him for advice as well, arguing it would be "silly for me not to have some level of engagement with him" given his "incredible track record" as a coach.

"I think the thing that will probably change that most, I suspect, is as and when he's involved with a competing cycling team, where he probably will feel he's conflicted. And that would probably be the thing that would be the biggest trigger to move that on."

:rolleyes:
One of our spies...” Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!”

The Carrot

Re:

14 Apr 2017 07:05

The Carrot wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/04/12/british-cycling-performance-director-stephen-park-says-will/

Stephen Park, British Cycling's new performance director, says he will not prevent his riders from using Shane Sutton as a coach if they wish to continue do so, and provided the Australian is willing to help out. Park said he would likely turn to him for advice as well, arguing it would be "silly for me not to have some level of engagement with him" given his "incredible track record" as a coach.

"I think the thing that will probably change that most, I suspect, is as and when he's involved with a competing cycling team, where he probably will feel he's conflicted. And that would probably be the thing that would be the biggest trigger to move that on."

Win at all costs indeed. Not many consequences to poor behaviours now are there?

Sport has become particularly degraded by this sort of thing.
Electress

14 Apr 2017 11:25

Here's the new boss, same as the old boss
User avatar veganrob

Re:

14 Apr 2017 11:53

IndianCyclist wrote:success is not possible without a military style discipline

Says who?

IndianCyclist wrote:which means a few bruised egos.

Putting a person in their place doesn't have to mean running their self confidence into the ground.

Since when does success at sports require destroying people emotionally and confidentially??? Bot logic seems to dictate that people need to be destroyed before they can be successful, but why? Other similarly high performers in other industries aren't so emotionally unintelligent.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

14 Apr 2017 11:56

Electress wrote:
The Carrot wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/04/12/british-cycling-performance-director-stephen-park-says-will/

Win at all costs indeed. Not many consequences to poor behaviours now are there?

As far as the world championships are concerned Team GB have lost an awful lot of their marginal gains. I wonder what happened? :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

14 Apr 2017 12:09

thehog wrote:
Electress wrote:

As far as the world championships are concerned Team GB have lost an awful lot of their marginal gains. I wonder what happened? :cool:

Partly it's the Australians getting ready for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. The Federal Government won't let the AIS be embarassed on home soil. If you look at last years Olympics, the swim team is on the upswing again and the track team are getting back on track. I also noticed that Cam Meyer rejoining the track squad is already paing dividends.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

14 Apr 2017 12:33

thehog wrote:
Electress wrote:

Clearly missing their cuddly care bear moments with Shane :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tennant-backs-british-cyclings-medal-or-nothing-culture-as-report-nears/

The Carrot

09 May 2017 20:57

Brace yourselves peeps - there's a Shane Sutton chamoir coming...
User avatar fmk_RoI

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic