Register

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

29 Oct 2017 09:42

From one of the Humphries pieces in the Sindo:
In that now infamous 2012 interview with Matt Cooper's Last Word radio show on Today FM, David Walsh was adamant in defence of Humphries. "And all I would say about the Tom situation is that I know a damn sight more about it than most people. I believe Tom is a fine man. And I believe in the end, that will come out and people will understand he's a fine man," he said. The segment was broadcast for the first time after Humphries was sentenced.

It is hard to see how Walsh, a man who is renowned for integrity in sport, could have said what he said without having been utterly misled. In his statement last week, Walsh apologised for his "ill-judged" and "insensitive" comments but cast no blame on Humphries.
User avatar fmk_RoI

29 Oct 2017 09:56

Walsh has moved on. Now he's peddling the fake news bandwagon:
Last week, Ken Fawes, the editor-in-chief of The Cincinnati Sentinel, gave his take on the future of news at a conference in the United Kingdom.

He delivered three key points.

First, the future of news is not about human journalism, Fawes said. Second, news brands will survive only if they pin their entire business around efficiency and scale. Lastly, artificial intelligence (AI) can be programmed to do anything a person can do.

Fawes showed how one of his articles, titled "Fraudulent Clinton votes found in Ohio warehouse", had generated hundreds of thousands of page views.

He also showed a Wikipedia entry about himself and how his publication played a key role in the 2016 US presidential election.

But many seasoned media professionals attending the conference did not catch the lie.

Ken Fawes - an anagram of "fake news" - was actually an actor hired to play the role.

The man orchestrating the act was reporter David Walsh, the chief sports writer of British-based The Times.

Walsh, an investigative journalist who was instrumental in exposing famed US cyclist Lance Armstrong for doping, then elaborated on the importance of fact-checking and journalists not taking things at face value.
Do you think he checked the facts of the Humphries case before declaring he knew more than most people about the charges and about the situation his friend found himself in? Or did he just trust his instinct for the truth?
When a story seems too good to be true, it usually is. A journalist’s instinct for the truth is what engenders in our stories the greatest trust and authenticity.
– David Walsh
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

05 Nov 2017 00:25

fmk_RoI wrote:David Walsh speaks... about why he won't speak:
“I’ve taken more than a few hits arising out of this and am still feeling a little bruised. As a result I prefer not to say anything at the moment.”

Should be noted that Walsh waited to after the sentencing to release his statement of contrition. It’s clear he didn’t want to impact he length of the term. Walsh is still manipulating the situation.

Interesting to also note, back in 2012 when Walsh was telling the Off the Ball program that Humphries was a “fine man” he was strangely being disgusted that Bruyneel was offering EPO to Zabriskie.

Walsh is a strange man.

User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Nov 2017 10:22

thehog wrote:
“I’ve taken more than a few hits arising out of this and am still feeling a little bruised. As a result I prefer not to say anything at the moment.”

Should be noted that Walsh waited to after the sentencing to release his statement of contrition. It’s clear he didn’t want to impact he length of the term. Walsh is still manipulating the situation.

Interesting to also note, back in 2012 when Walsh was telling the Off the Ball program that Humphries was a “fine man” he was strangely being disgusted that Bruyneel was offering EPO to Zabriskie.

Walsh is a strange man.

The same Barry who said Sky used TUE's unethically and somewhat against the rules?

On a different note, I wonder when Landa is ripping it up next year, if Walsh will be feeling sick again ala Astana Giro?
User avatar MartinGT

07 Nov 2017 20:39

MartinGT wrote:
thehog wrote:

Walsh is a strange man.

The same Barry who said Sky used TUE's unethically and somewhat against the rules?

On a different note, I wonder when Landa is ripping it up next year, if Walsh will be feeling sick again ala Astana Giro?

Walsh will be due for another massive contradiction by then. The Movistar train will be motoring with Quintana, Valverde and Landa with Walsh becoming sickened by their domination. He’ll be upset that a fine man like Froome is being beaten by a doping train.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

13 Dec 2017 11:23

Any word from Walsh? :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

13 Dec 2017 11:27

thehog wrote:Any word from Walsh? :cool:

He will find it hard to squirm his way out of this one.
User avatar ruamruam

13 Dec 2017 11:28

He's probably trying to decide whether he can still jump ship or whether he should barricade all the entrances and try to fight it out.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

13 Dec 2017 11:35

hrotha wrote:He's probably trying to decide whether he can still jump ship or whether he should barricade all the entrances and try to fight it out.
He cannot jump ship with any credibility. Probably the least worst option for him is fight it out. Loses credibility with either way.
User avatar ruamruam

Re:

13 Dec 2017 11:35

Walsh has probably signed up to ghost another autobiography for the Froome Dog gotta top up that pension pot eh

Gonna be difficult for Walsh to rationalise away this one but he's in way too deep to turn back now hold that line David hold that freekin line! :D
Wiggo's Package

15 Dec 2017 14:05

Must be holding it all back for his column on Sunday in Murodch's newspaper. Surely it is going to be hard even for Walsh to distance himself from this one since ignorance is no defence. For a supposedly intelligent man he was simply either seduced by Froome, compromised by riding the gravy train (most likely) or clearly not as intelligent as he appears to be. Has been a horrible few months for him but he has no-one to blame but himself, serious misjudgement on his behalf.
ontheroad

Re:

15 Dec 2017 14:22

hrotha wrote:He's probably trying to decide whether he can still jump ship or whether he should barricade all the entrances and try to fight it out.

I would be pretty sure that Walsh is being directed by Sunday Times owners and they are probably trying to figure whether it is worth sponsoring a cycling team anymore and have they reached maximum exposure.

I would guess that Sky are near its end unless some big Saudi, Qatari, Chinese etc wants to play at cycling for a while.

Walsh is close to retirement age and his pension pot must be pretty decent at this stage having paid into it for at least 25+ years.

There will be plenty of ghost written books to be done in retirement.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

15 Dec 2017 15:04

Benotti69 wrote:I would be pretty sure that Walsh is being directed by Sunday Times owners and they are probably trying to figure whether it is worth sponsoring a cycling team anymore and have they reached maximum exposure.
Do try and keep up with the news. Murdoch is selling Sky and 20th Century Fox to Disney. And James Murdoch - the team's sugar-daddy - is exiting the Murdoch empire. This is no longer the Sunday Times's problem...
User avatar fmk_RoI

15 Dec 2017 15:06

fmk_RoI wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:I would be pretty sure that Walsh is being directed by Sunday Times owners and they are probably trying to figure whether it is worth sponsoring a cycling team anymore and have they reached maximum exposure.
Do try and keep up with the news. Murdoch is selling Sky and 20th Century Fox to Disney. And James Murdoch - the team's sugar-daddy - is exiting the Murdoch empire. This is no longer the Sunday Times's problem...

So Sky are over, unless Disney wants them to ride with capes..........
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

15 Dec 2017 15:09

Benotti69 wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

So Sky are over, unless Disney wants them to ride with capes..........
Disney happily owned Miramax, despite knowing all the rumours...
User avatar fmk_RoI

15 Dec 2017 23:26

thehog wrote:Any word from Walsh? :cool:

Yeah. Walsh sold his soul for all this Sky access, and yet ... (silence).
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

16 Dec 2017 00:44

Anecdotally, after the Western Australian rugby team was cut from the Super (Foxtel) competition instead of the bankrupt Melbourne team by the "national" body (Australian Rugby Union) which is Sydney centric, a Senate enquiry revealed all sorts of financial shenanigans and recommended the corruption authorities look into both the ARU and Melbourne teams financials.

Not a peep out of the eastern states (Sydney and Melbourne) press. Half of which is Murdoch.
User avatar sittingbison

16 Dec 2017 05:33

Walsh investigated Froome before agreeing to ghost-write his autobiography The Climb in 2014. ‘At this point in the Armstrong story I had six people in the team saying he had doped, and loads of evidence. With Froome, nothing. So what am I supposed to do? Make it up? Just so I can seem like a real tough guy who believes in nothing when I think there is a really decent basis for trusting Sky and Froome? When Lance was telling you he was using an altitude tent, you find out he’s not and you realise he is a liar. Stuff like that hasn’t come out about Geraint Thomas, Chris Froome or Bradley Wiggins? With Armstrong there was always that flow of evidence.’

In the Armstrong era a generation of clean riders were let down by the drugs cheats. With Froome soaked in urine and spat at during the 2015 Tour, is there a danger that the current generation of riders is being let down in a very different way, by an aggressive suspicion that fails to acknowledge sporting achievement? ‘Yes, I think there is a real danger,’ Walsh says. ‘What happens in 15 years’ time when we become pretty convinced that Chris Froome did it all clean? Do we say we were terribly unfair? People who are accusing him will feel the questions are justified. I would say the questions are justified, but with no answers to justify the questions it should have stoppedat scepticism and not gone into suspicion, hostility and accusation

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/551/david-walsh-on-armstrong-froome-and-making-a-movie
User avatar thehog
Veteran

16 Dec 2017 14:14

ruamruam wrote:
He cannot jump ship with any credibility. Probably the least worst option for him is fight it out. Loses credibility with either way.

He'll come out attacking Froome and pretending it's all news to him. 100%.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

16 Dec 2017 14:34

Shock gasp horror!
User avatar sittingbison

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic