Register

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Oct 2017 18:17

I agree with Lance too.
'Journalist with integrity'
Forever The Best

10 Oct 2017 22:09

This posse is in a nutshell why it is so incredibly easy for a Lance or anyone really to discredit everything Walsh says or does. He is plain insufferable and it stands above all he does.
hazaran

Re:

10 Oct 2017 22:44

Forever The Best wrote:I agree with Lance too.
'Journalist with integrity'

For a moment there, I thought Hitch still had his signature displayed :D
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2017 08:37

veganrob wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
ruamruam wrote:Armstrong is being a sh1t in regard to the whole affair. He is using a girl who was sexually abused to get back at Walsh.

Agreed, he's attempting to further his narrative of being unfairly treated too. Disgusting.

Armstrong is a **** for sure, but that is not the way I interpret his comments at all. He is directing them at Walsh alone and deservedly so.

We'll have to disagree then, or continue in the Lance thread, but it's probably not worth our time :)
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

11 Oct 2017 11:58

King Boonen wrote:
veganrob wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
ruamruam wrote:Armstrong is being a sh1t in regard to the whole affair. He is using a girl who was sexually abused to get back at Walsh.

Agreed, he's attempting to further his narrative of being unfairly treated too. Disgusting.

Armstrong is a **** for sure, but that is not the way I interpret his comments at all. He is directing them at Walsh alone and deservedly so.

We'll have to disagree then, or continue in the Lance thread, but it's probably not worth our time :)

Nah, it's not. :)
User avatar veganrob

11 Oct 2017 19:36

Not sure it'll be the end of Walsh. I suspect he'll lay low for a while then re-emerge when it's blown over.

With respect to his commentary on cycling, I do think the 'I know things you don't know so you must just trust me' demonstrates a pretty high opinion of himself - also an unwillingness, I think, to have his views / preconceptions change when faced with evidence to the contrary.

As for Lance - well, his 'comments' are probably the stuff of some journo. ringing him up and asking for his thoughts. Maybe he should have said 'I have none'. But loathe him though I do I can't imagine he was ringing around offering his opinions on the matter. All pretty tawdry though.
Electress

Re:

11 Oct 2017 20:07

Electress wrote:Not sure it'll be the end of Walsh. I suspect he'll lay low for a while then re-emerge when it's blown over.

With respect to his commentary on cycling, I do think the 'I know things you don't know so you must just trust me' demonstrates a pretty high opinion of himself - also an unwillingness, I think, to have his views / preconceptions change when faced with evidence to the contrary.

As for Lance - well, his 'comments' are probably the stuff of some journo. ringing him up and asking for his thoughts. Maybe he should have said 'I have none'. But loathe him though I do I can't imagine he was ringing around offering his opinions on the matter. All pretty tawdry though.

Carry on loathing

https://www.buzz.ie/celebs/lance-armstrong-article-tom-humphries-257184
Mayo from Mayo

15 Oct 2017 17:50

Dónal Óg Cusack admits a lack of judgement:
My intention was to help a human in a dark place who asked me for help. I showed a lack of judgement in this situation for which I am genuinely sorry.
Not only does David Walsh stay silent, it seems the rest of the Irish media has lost its voice on this matter too.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

16 Oct 2017 13:11

fmk_RoI wrote:Dónal Óg Cusack admits a lack of judgement:
My intention was to help a human in a dark place who asked me for help. I showed a lack of judgement in this situation for which I am genuinely sorry.
Not only does David Walsh stay silent, it seems the rest of the Irish media has lost its voice on this matter too.

Ewan McKenna and Paul Howard among others have spoken out on twitter.

IIRC SundayBusPost did an article on Walsh.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

17 Oct 2017 09:36

http://www.independent.ie/sport/david-has-made-a-bad-mistake-and-donal-og-has-made-a-bad-mistake-paul-kimmage-on-those-who-wrote-character-references-for-tom-humphries-36234456.html
Mayo from Mayo

17 Oct 2017 11:43

Mayo from Mayo wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/david-has-made-a-bad-mistake-and-donal-og-has-made-a-bad-mistake-paul-kimmage-on-those-who-wrote-character-references-for-tom-humphries-36234456.html
I really don't think the letters are the problem. They're kind of embarrassing, for sure, but you can kind of understand them too, and you can kind of agree with Terry Prone's point about the real problem being the system that allows them and encourages them.

However. It is not the letter that is causing the real problem for Walsh: it's his 'Last Word' interview and his claims to know more than other people. It's his apparent attempt to say that Humphries's victim was lying.

That of itself is bloody awful, but it also underlines his standard operating procedure: this is what he was doing back in the 1980s when he was defending Sean Kelly with FUD ('trust me, there's nothing to see here'), this is what he was doing in the 1990s when he was defending PDM's use of Intralipid ('trust me, there's nothing to see here'), this is what he was doing in the noughties with LA ('trust me, there's everything to see here'), and this is what he's been doing the last few years with Sky/Foome ('trust me, there's nothing to see here'). His defence of Humphries on 'The Last Word' only serves to highlight the problem of trusting a man who's ego has been out of control for many, many decades now.

Again, though, who is going to hold him to account here? The Irish media is circling the wagons: even Kimmage's comments are not condemnatory, he saves his condemnation for that fan favourite, the lynchmob (up there with the witch hunt in favoured 'get out of gaol free' cards to play). While Ireland's commentariat has found itself with much to say about Harvey Weinstein, they are being awfully quiet about the problem closer to home. Perhaps because it's professionally too damned close to home.
User avatar fmk_RoI

22 Oct 2017 10:57

Another week of silence from the Irish commentariat.

Humphries gets sentenced on Tuesday - will they find their voice then or have they successfully deep sixed this affair?
User avatar fmk_RoI

22 Oct 2017 14:55

Common. It takes an exceptional circumstance for journalists to commentate on their brotherhood.
yaco

24 Oct 2017 13:34

David Walsh speaks... about why he won't speak:
“I’ve taken more than a few hits arising out of this and am still feeling a little bruised. As a result I prefer not to say anything at the moment.”
User avatar fmk_RoI

24 Oct 2017 15:27

And now he's found his voice. The TL:DR?
Soz.
User avatar fmk_RoI

24 Oct 2017 18:45

Walsh claims he sticks by his "friends through thick and thin". Bet Pierre Ballestre will have something to say about that.
Last edited by Benotti69 on 24 Oct 2017 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

24 Oct 2017 19:45

fmk_RoI wrote:And now he's found his voice. The TL:DR?
Soz.

Insensitive and ill judged comments ? It was apportioning blame on the victim.
2012 He said he knew.. "a damn sight more about it [the abuse case] than most people, and I believe Tom is a fine man".

I cannot believe he spoke about feeling a little beaten up recently. How does he think the victim felt. The ego is astounding- to apologise after giving a character reference which went some way to a reduced sentence. No apology during the trial, and trying to insinuate he was letting justice run its course. It seems he feels like if he spoke in the press it may alter the course of the trial.....which he already altered somewhat.

I can understand a friend standing by someone in private and by all accounts Mr Humphries was suicidal- but to give a character reference to someone who used a position of trust to get at a child is abhorrent
noddy69

24 Oct 2017 20:31

noddy69 wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:And now he's found his voice. The TL:DR?
Soz.

Insensitive and ill judged comments ? It was apportioning blame on the victim.
2012 He said he knew.. "a damn sight more about it [the abuse case] than most people, and I believe Tom is a fine man".

I cannot believe he spoke about feeling a little beaten up recently. How does he think the victim felt. The ego is astounding- to apologise after giving a character reference which went some way to a reduced sentence. No apology during the trial, and trying to insinuate he was letting justice run its course. It seems he feels like if he spoke in the press it may alter the course of the trial.....which he already altered somewhat.

I can understand a friend standing by someone in private and by all accounts Mr Humphries was suicidal- but to give a character reference to someone who used a position of trust to get at a child is abhorrent

ray‏ @vinfox 2 hours ago

Odd how Tom Humphries refused counselling as he felt he wasn't deserving but was seemingly ok with character references. Classic manipulator

Think this tweet nails the kind of person TH is. Walsh is either willfully stupid, an idiot or both.

I dont think TH was suicidal.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

24 Oct 2017 21:34

Refusing counseling because he feels he doesn't deserve it is perfectly believable by anyone who understands depression.

Believing that the letters of reference were requested by his legal representative is believable by anyone who knows the legal system.
User avatar fmk_RoI

24 Oct 2017 21:46

User avatar fmk_RoI

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic