Register

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

29 Oct 2017 09:42

From one of the Humphries pieces in the Sindo:
In that now infamous 2012 interview with Matt Cooper's Last Word radio show on Today FM, David Walsh was adamant in defence of Humphries. "And all I would say about the Tom situation is that I know a damn sight more about it than most people. I believe Tom is a fine man. And I believe in the end, that will come out and people will understand he's a fine man," he said. The segment was broadcast for the first time after Humphries was sentenced.

It is hard to see how Walsh, a man who is renowned for integrity in sport, could have said what he said without having been utterly misled. In his statement last week, Walsh apologised for his "ill-judged" and "insensitive" comments but cast no blame on Humphries.
User avatar fmk_RoI

29 Oct 2017 09:56

Walsh has moved on. Now he's peddling the fake news bandwagon:
Last week, Ken Fawes, the editor-in-chief of The Cincinnati Sentinel, gave his take on the future of news at a conference in the United Kingdom.

He delivered three key points.

First, the future of news is not about human journalism, Fawes said. Second, news brands will survive only if they pin their entire business around efficiency and scale. Lastly, artificial intelligence (AI) can be programmed to do anything a person can do.

Fawes showed how one of his articles, titled "Fraudulent Clinton votes found in Ohio warehouse", had generated hundreds of thousands of page views.

He also showed a Wikipedia entry about himself and how his publication played a key role in the 2016 US presidential election.

But many seasoned media professionals attending the conference did not catch the lie.

Ken Fawes - an anagram of "fake news" - was actually an actor hired to play the role.

The man orchestrating the act was reporter David Walsh, the chief sports writer of British-based The Times.

Walsh, an investigative journalist who was instrumental in exposing famed US cyclist Lance Armstrong for doping, then elaborated on the importance of fact-checking and journalists not taking things at face value.
Do you think he checked the facts of the Humphries case before declaring he knew more than most people about the charges and about the situation his friend found himself in? Or did he just trust his instinct for the truth?
When a story seems too good to be true, it usually is. A journalist’s instinct for the truth is what engenders in our stories the greatest trust and authenticity.
– David Walsh
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

05 Nov 2017 00:25

fmk_RoI wrote:David Walsh speaks... about why he won't speak:
“I’ve taken more than a few hits arising out of this and am still feeling a little bruised. As a result I prefer not to say anything at the moment.”

Should be noted that Walsh waited to after the sentencing to release his statement of contrition. It’s clear he didn’t want to impact he length of the term. Walsh is still manipulating the situation.

Interesting to also note, back in 2012 when Walsh was telling the Off the Ball program that Humphries was a “fine man” he was strangely being disgusted that Bruyneel was offering EPO to Zabriskie.

Walsh is a strange man.

User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Nov 2017 10:22

thehog wrote:
“I’ve taken more than a few hits arising out of this and am still feeling a little bruised. As a result I prefer not to say anything at the moment.”

Should be noted that Walsh waited to after the sentencing to release his statement of contrition. It’s clear he didn’t want to impact he length of the term. Walsh is still manipulating the situation.

Interesting to also note, back in 2012 when Walsh was telling the Off the Ball program that Humphries was a “fine man” he was strangely being disgusted that Bruyneel was offering EPO to Zabriskie.

Walsh is a strange man.

The same Barry who said Sky used TUE's unethically and somewhat against the rules?

On a different note, I wonder when Landa is ripping it up next year, if Walsh will be feeling sick again ala Astana Giro?
User avatar MartinGT

Re: Re:

07 Nov 2017 20:39

MartinGT wrote:
thehog wrote:

Walsh is a strange man.

The same Barry who said Sky used TUE's unethically and somewhat against the rules?

On a different note, I wonder when Landa is ripping it up next year, if Walsh will be feeling sick again ala Astana Giro?

Walsh will be due for another massive contradiction by then. The Movistar train will be motoring with Quintana, Valverde and Landa with Walsh becoming sickened by their domination. He’ll be upset that a fine man like Froome is being beaten by a doping train.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic