Register

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Re:

24 Jan 2018 17:08

yaco wrote:So Lance is back in the fold - Special guest for Flanders 2018 - Impeccable timing.

rick james

24 Jan 2018 20:08

So ... GP ... can I put you down as ... "will attend", "carnivorous meal", "1 free beer"? ;)

will attend - no
carnivorous meal - OFC
Free beer? - OFC

Just saying, the guy is a jerk. Opinions vary, but I'm not sure if I'd piss on on him if he were on fire. He is just a very unpleasant person.

The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

25 Jan 2018 16:34

GraftPunk wrote:
So ... GP ... can I put you down as ... "will attend", "carnivorous meal", "1 free beer"? ;)

will attend - no
carnivorous meal - OFC
Free beer? - OFC

Just saying, the guy is a jerk. Opinions vary, but I'm not sure if I'd piss on on him if he were on fire. He is just a very unpleasant person.

I guess people who judge others on actions of some 20 years ago (which have debatable lasting effect) are “pleasant”?

Glad to see the Judeo-Christian bias in full swing. Can you pop by and help raise the kids?
aphronesis
Veteran

26 Jan 2018 16:55

Technically I'm an atheist, but sure, I'll play catch with the kids if you're too busy (I'm breaking in a new mitt right now, convenient, no?). It's in our our nature to judge, and when it comes to LA, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he isn't the guy you want to invite to your barbecue. But by all means keep defending, we're sort of used to it here.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

26 Jan 2018 17:04

GraftPunk wrote:Technically I'm an atheist, but sure, I'll play catch with the kids if you're too busy (I'm breaking in a new mitt right now, convenient, no?). It's in our our nature to judge, and when it comes to LA, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he isn't the guy you want to invite to your barbecue. But by all means keep defending, we're sort of used to it here.

Why wouldn't I want to invite LA to a barbecue? I think he would be a very interesting character to talk to over a beer, but that's just me personally. Yes, he's a pariah and the poster child of the cycling doping culture but he's still a human being.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

26 Jan 2018 17:27

Don't they want him for his huge reach into the American market even now, its a messy situation really.
This weeks blog covers Israel Cycling, women's cycling welfare, and I try not get started on World Tour field size. http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/letstalkcycling-muses/ :D
User avatar manafana

Re:

26 Jan 2018 18:50

GraftPunk wrote:Technically I'm an atheist, but sure, I'll play catch with the kids if you're too busy (I'm breaking in a new mitt right now, convenient, no?). It's in our our nature to judge, and when it comes to LA, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he isn't the guy you want to invite to your barbecue. But by all means keep defending, we're sort of used to it here.

You don’t have to be religious to be pious.

I’m not defending what he did back then and never have, but keep projecting. Tell me though did Tygart and Novitzky clean up doping in US sport?

And actually I’m sure I’d far rather have a beer with him than people who are caught up on how he or anyone acted 10-20 years ago. Yes it’s bullying, but if someone says they’ve changed how they relate to the world, why not go with that rather than being hypocritical, prudish and judgmental.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

26 Jan 2018 19:06

Robert5091 wrote:It's the organizers who look bad here, not Lance. He's got bills to pay! :)

Don't forget, DESPERATE! They must've been Liestrong donors ;) :razz:
User avatar 86TDFWinner

Re: Re:

26 Jan 2018 19:09

hazaran wrote:
TourOfSardinia wrote:
Lappartient will not attend Ronde van Vlaanderen in protest of Lance Armstrong invitation

UCI president says Armstrong is 'not the symbol of a clean sport'
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lappartient-will-not-attend-tour-of-flanders-in-protest-of-lance-armstrong-invitation/

Thank god, now make it a permanent thing. Cookson spent 50% of his "presidency" on travel to, presence at and travel from various races where his disheveled, homeless looking appearance sought out the attention of the cameras as he enjoyed his stay on the costs of the race organizers who in all likelihood despised him and the perfunctory busybody of an organization he came to embody (but not represent, that implies some sort of active role).

LOL! He spent the other 50% issuing licenses to teams/riders( *cough* Nibali and his merry band of dolts *cough*) blatantly caught cheating, then backtracking/deflecting on much of it when he was called out on it. Cookson was almost as bad as McQuack :o :surprised:
User avatar 86TDFWinner

26 Jan 2018 19:12

Irondan wrote:

Why wouldn't I want to invite LA to a barbecue? I think he would be a very interesting character to talk to over a beer, but that's just me personally. Yes, he's a pariah and the poster child of the cycling doping culture but he's still a human being.

I find him fascinating. I can listen to him for hours. He's articulate, thoughtful and intelligent. It's very clear that he is reflective.

So, I'm with you. I'd invite him over. I think he has something to offer cycling too.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

26 Jan 2018 19:15

thehog wrote:I thought people stopped being angry at Armstrong long ago? He is a nice deflection for those not wanting to address the current ills of the sport. Flanders is a beer swilling all day drink fest for middle aged men. Perfect location for Armstrong to turn up and talk about her good old days of hardcore doping.

Let's not forget Froomey and his "I didn't dope, I swear on my dogs life, I didn't . Over 546 tests and no positives, not a one" :) attitude. :razz:
User avatar 86TDFWinner

26 Jan 2018 19:17

macbindle wrote:
I think he has something to offer cycling too.

:rolleyes: :sad: Which is what exactly?
User avatar 86TDFWinner

26 Jan 2018 19:27

Commentary.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

26 Jan 2018 19:37

Irondan wrote:

Why? Cuz he'd drink Lance-aritas all night while hitting on your wife. You better want to talk about Lance and what he's interested in, because that's all that will be on offer. And when he knocks over that precious vase, he'll get in your face when you confront him.

Yeah, good times.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

26 Jan 2018 19:40

ScienceIsCool wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Why? Cuz he'd drink Lance-aritas all night while hitting on your wife. You better want to talk about Lance and what he's interested in, because that's all that will be on offer. And when he knocks over that precious vase, he'll get in your face when you confront him.

Yeah, good times.

John Swanson

Sounds like you got Lance figured out. Maybe you shouldn't invite him over...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

26 Jan 2018 20:59

Just saying, his doping is the least of his poor decisions. I'm neither religious or pious, but I do strive to be virtuous. People says he's changed? Then he can prove it. So far there has been zero remorse, just his usual sociopathic behavior and need to be in a spotlight. I'm sure (insert Godwin's law) could tell some stories too.
User avatar GraftPunk

26 Jan 2018 21:59

Remorse for what? How?

A pound of flesh for Betsy? A group hug with Tyler? Self-immolation on your front lawn?

Spotlight? So what? So in your selectively virtuous world only the pure as the driven snow are allowed access to the celebrity, money machine?

So you’re keeping daily tabs everytime there’s some “sociopathic” behavior? And have, what, some psychiatric training?

Sounds like a catechism to me.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

26 Jan 2018 22:19

aphronesis wrote:Remorse for what? How?

A pound of flesh for Betsy? A group hug with Tyler? Self-immolation on your front lawn?

Spotlight? So what? So in your selectively virtuous world on the pure as the driven snow are allowed access to the celebrity, money machine?

So you’re keeping daily tabs everytime there’s some “sociopathic” behavior? And have, what, some psychiatric training?

Sounds like a catechism to me.

Easy little buddy. It's simple enough to google sociopathy and use your best judgement to see if it matches up. I get it, you are a LA fanboy, carry on, no need to take it personally. Unless you are actually LA, in which case please do.

ETA: I do love a good self-immolation BTW.
User avatar GraftPunk

26 Jan 2018 22:23

Actually, I’m not. In fact I did and do despise the dude/bro culture that he was part of.

I know it’s hard for you to understand this, but I’ll try: I’m not defending LA; I’m questioning your conveniently selective moral indignation.

You’re actually the one getting riled “little buddy”. Calling me names and imagining things about me that I’ve never said.

So you basically have no present examples? You’re just repeating a lot of things you memorized years ago rather than changing as the world changes?

Got it. Think of it like politics: the fact that I disagree with inane statements made about Trump doesn’t mean I like or voted for him. See if you can hold those dissonant thoughts simultaneously. It’s work, I know.
aphronesis
Veteran

26 Jan 2018 23:18

How is my moral indignation selective? In LA's time pretty much everyone was on rocket fuel. Using that as a baseline, his poor behavior is what puts him above the rest as far being a shit-heel. Having said that I do apologize for for the little buddy thing, that was incorrect behavior on my part. When it comes to examples of LA's bad choices however, google can help you. There are so many that they are difficult to miss.
User avatar GraftPunk

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic