Register

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

23 Apr 2018 14:44

Scott SoCal wrote:Iirc, he was a pretty savvy investor when he was racing. He’s probably better now than then. Depending on his portfolio - for a guy his age - he’s likely done reasonably well.
How many of the Tailwind people worked in stocks and shares? Which one was it is supposed to have made a fortune for Verbruggen in return for the backdated prescription? Funny how those who need LA to be down to peanuts forget all about this...
User avatar fmk_RoI

23 Apr 2018 14:45

I think it’s been pretty clear to anyone paying attention with their emotions in check that the lost millions were potential income based on his untouched image. All the rest is wishful thinking from other people’s overwrought fantasy worlds.
aphronesis
Veteran

23 Apr 2018 14:48

fmk_RoI wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:Iirc, he was a pretty savvy investor when he was racing. He’s probably better now than then. Depending on his portfolio - for a guy his age - he’s likely done reasonably well.
How many of the Tailwind people worked in stocks and shares? Which one was it is supposed to have made a fortune for Verbruggen in return for the backdated prescription? Funny how those who need LA to be down to peanuts forget all about this...

no need.

Someone blogged and it is not someone with no life experience either.

But pedantics needs apart.... :rolleyes:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

23 Apr 2018 14:54

Slight aside

Apparently the USPS settlement is with Armstrong only. The other defendants in the case are Johan Bruyneel and Tailwind sports.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

23 Apr 2018 16:15

Benotti69 wrote:Slight aside

Apparently the USPS settlement is with Armstrong only. The other defendants in the case are Johan Bruyneel and Tailwind sports.

Tailwind sorta settled already. The remains are out of jurisdiction. It’s over.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

23 Apr 2018 16:58

Benotti69 wrote:'End of an Error'

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/end-of-an-error-2/#comments

Seth Davidsons take on the settlement. I would say he is pretty damn close to the bone.

Flat earth society better look away now :eek:

'Although various analysts have called Armstrong’s settlement a “win,” to his credit that’s a truckload of bullsh1t he doesn’t try to foist off on the rest of us.'
Wiggo's Package

23 Apr 2018 21:04

I had hoped that the news of the settlement would have meant that we wouldn't hear anymore news about him.
Instead there's now a story on the CN front page about how Armstrong will have to go watch the Giro as a regular guy...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

23 Apr 2018 21:33

RedheadDane wrote:I had hoped that the news of the settlement would have meant that we wouldn't hear anymore news about him.
Instead there's now a story on the CN front page about how Armstrong will have to go watch the Giro as a regular guy...

He will be clickbait for a long long time.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

24 Apr 2018 00:21

Benotti69 wrote:'End of an Error'

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/end-of-an-error-2/#comments

Seth Davidsons take on the settlement. I would say he is pretty damn close to the bone.

Over.

Let that little yella wristband be a lesson to ya, B. :lol:
User avatar Alpe73

25 Apr 2018 02:46

If USADA is the governing body that banned Lance for life, are they also the body that could remove his ban?

Interesting article in Colorado Springs newspaper about Lance and Tygart (the head of the USADA). Sounds like they have buried the hatchet and are now buddies. Favorite quote in the article
"Tygart wants Armstrong to join him on the noble crusade to cleanse sport of doping."
Sounds like Tygart is offering Lance a chance at "redemption."

http://gazette.com/david-ramsey-travis-tygart-head-of-u.s.-anti-doping-in-colorado-springs-offers-lance-armstrong-chance-at-redemption/article/1624849
"When everyone cheats, then it becomes hugely distorted. It becomes a different contest, a contest of who's got the best doctor, who's got the most money, who's got the biggest risk tolerance." - Dan Coyle
PPAR-delta

Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

25 Apr 2018 06:55

I think Armstrong already has tried a "noble crusade to cleanse sport of doping" back in a 2007 seminar on how to prevent doping in pro sports. LOL. This is a classic!...one of Armstrong's finest moments in his infamous career. LOL.

https://youtu.be/AG4odJP-Zuw

Seriously now, I just wish Armstrong would go away. I'm tired of this LA crap and CN doing stories on him for clickbait. He's still a Chump and maintains that he was clean as a whistle in his 09 podium finish. Yeah...right, the guy still can't come clean about his entire doping career and thinks he's going to groom a new audience of followers because of the "new Armstrong persona." LA should just crawl in a hole somewhere, stay out of the public light and be very thankful that he didn't end up like Marion Jones, who went bankrupt & served Federal prison time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7182969.stm
Nomad

Re:

25 Apr 2018 08:44

PPAR-delta wrote:Interesting article in Colorado Springs newspaper about Lance and Tygart (the head of the USADA). Sounds like they have buried the hatchet and are now buddies. Favorite quote in the article
"Tygart wants Armstrong to join him on the noble crusade to cleanse sport of doping."

http://gazette.com/david-ramsey-travis-tygart-head-of-u.s.-anti-doping-in-colorado-springs-offers-lance-armstrong-chance-at-redemption/article/1624849
Boy and I glad I registered just to read that vapid piece of nonsense. "Tygart is a righteous nemesis", "Tygart wants Armstrong to join him on the noble crusade to cleanse sport of doping", "Armstrong, the ultimate doper, could transform into Armstrong, the ultimate warrior against doping", "Tygart can offer redeeming terms. Tygart can rescue Armstrong from pariah-hood". Donnez-moi le sick bag.

The only quote of note from Tygart seems to be: "It’s never too late.”

So is Tygart inviting LA in from the cold? Or is the journalist asking Tygart whether LA can come in from the cold?

What did we actually learn? That LA's Peace and Reconciliation Tour included a 2015 meeting in Denver with Tygart and now the two text or talk "once in a while." And they've hooked up somewhere else - somewhere "in the mountains" - since. Welcome to season 94 of The Bachelor.
User avatar fmk_RoI

25 Apr 2018 11:18

fmk_RoI wrote:
PPAR-delta wrote:Interesting article in Colorado Springs newspaper about Lance and Tygart (the head of the USADA). Sounds like they have buried the hatchet and are now buddies. Favorite quote in the article

Boy and I glad I registered just to read that vapid piece of nonsense. "Tygart is a righteous nemesis", "Tygart wants Armstrong to join him on the noble crusade to cleanse sport of doping", "Armstrong, the ultimate doper, could transform into Armstrong, the ultimate warrior against doping", "Tygart can offer redeeming terms. Tygart can rescue Armstrong from pariah-hood". Donnez-moi le sick bag.

The only quote of note from Tygart seems to be: "It’s never too late.”

So is Tygart inviting LA in from the cold? Or is the journalist asking Tygart whether LA can come in from the cold?

What did we actually learn? That LA's Peace and Reconciliation Tour included a 2015 meeting in Denver with Tygart and now the two text or talk "once in a while." And they've hooked up somewhere else - somewhere "in the mountains" - since. Welcome to season 94 of The Bachelor.

I've never understood why Armstrong didn't appeal the decision to CAS to get a lighter sentence. I think he would have won and possibly also kept the two Tours which were outside the statutes of limitations.
Parker

25 Apr 2018 11:53

Parker wrote:I've never understood why Armstrong didn't appeal the decision to CAS to get a lighter sentence. I think he would have won and possibly also kept the two Tours which were outside the statutes of limitations.
Arrogance?

Or he was still stuck at the denial stage of grief.

But I'd go with arrogance.
User avatar fmk_RoI

25 Apr 2018 12:44

fmk_RoI wrote:
Parker wrote:I've never understood why Armstrong didn't appeal the decision to CAS to get a lighter sentence. I think he would have won and possibly also kept the two Tours which were outside the statutes of limitations.
Arrogance?

Or he was still stuck at the denial stage of grief.

But I'd go with arrogance.

Yep. Those seven MJ’s are still hanging up in his trophy room somewhere.

Donnez-moi le sick bag. :lol: Probably going to have to steal that one if you don’t mind.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

26 Apr 2018 17:44

User avatar 70kmph

Re:

26 Apr 2018 19:22

LA as the new Mystic Meg. Which'll come next, the newspaper column or a premium-rate phone line?
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

27 Apr 2018 09:56

One of those times when his opinion is as good as a Fred's.
User avatar fasthill

27 Apr 2018 10:01

fasthill wrote:

Given the way he 'read' his own situation with USADA, possibly even less so than the average Fred.

But there's a lot of it about...
User avatar fmk_RoI

28 Apr 2018 00:34

fasthill wrote:

One of those times when his opinion fits very well with everything we know about the case.

For those of you who follow Major League Baseball, the situation of Albert Pujols has a sliver of similarity to LA’s federal case. No, Pujols hasn’t tested positive. The question is, his age. He’s officially 38, but many people think he’s older, perhaps by two years. He came to the U.S. from the Dominican in his teens, and lying about his age might have been critical to being allowed to go to high school here.

But the reason people think he might be older than he claims is because his decline in performance—which all baseball players undergo—has come unusually early. Players usually peak in their late 20s, are still pretty good in their early 30s (given they can avoid injury), then serious decline sets in. Pujols’ decline was quite noticeable before age 30, and has been quite severe ever since.

Now for the parallel with LA. When Pujols was 31, he signed a huge contract with another team. Thanks to his decline, that contract is considered one of the worst in baseball. It’s typical of teams to offer superstars huge contracts at around this age, on the assumption that they will get a few really good years, which will make up for the poor performance later. But if Pujols was actually 33, not 31, he was unlikely to perform very well even in the early years of the contract, and that basically has been the case. So the question arises, could the team sue to have the contract invalidated, based on false information?

The parallel with LA also includes the same problem the feds had in arguing that they lost money because of LA’s doping. The manager and GM of Pujols’ team have on the record supported him, saying he’s very valuable, and that the advanced stats that are the basis for viewing him as one of the worst players in the game don’t take into account some of his contributions. So if the team did try to sue on the basis of fraud, they would have a problem rationalizing their own statements.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-angels-could-get-out-of-paying-albert-pujols/
Merckx index

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic