Register

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

12 Dec 2017 01:28

Parker wrote:
Craigee wrote:Scraping the bottom of the barrel when your main supporter just got thrashed in an election as leader of your sport after being the leader for one term. British cycling getting worse by the day.

Not really. Cookson is a career civil servant. Lappartient is a career politician.

Who wins an election shouldn't be in doubt. Who does the best job certainly is.

You're advocating that Cookson did a good job? Or just that you think Lappartient will be worse?
heart_attack_man

12 Dec 2017 02:07

heart_attack_man wrote:
Parker wrote:
Craigee wrote:Scraping the bottom of the barrel when your main supporter just got thrashed in an election as leader of your sport after being the leader for one term. British cycling getting worse by the day.

Not really. Cookson is a career civil servant. Lappartient is a career politician.

You're advocating that Cookson did a good job? Or just that you think Lappartient will be worse?

I think cycling was in a better state in 2017 than it was in 2013 - particularly on the women's side. Whether any of that was down to Cookson, I don't know. He was generally quiet president - an administrator in keeping with his day job as a town planner.

Lappartient rings some alarm bells for me. He's a career politician who has eyes on the French Senate. So far his presidency has been a round of interviews with journalists saying things that play well with a French audience. Let's give him a year and see if has done anything in, to my mind, the three key issues in pro cycling - the economic model, rider safety and women's cycling. (Of course the clinic will only judge him on doping)
Parker

12 Dec 2017 03:09

Parker wrote:
heart_attack_man wrote:
Parker wrote:

I think cycling was in a better state in 2017 than it was in 2013 - particularly on the women's side. Whether any of that was down to Cookson, I don't know. He was generally quiet president - an administrator in keeping with his day job as a town planner.

Lappartient rings some alarm bells for me. He's a career politician who has eyes on the French Senate. So far his presidency has been a round of interviews with journalists saying things that play well with a French audience. Let's give him a year and see if has done anything in, to my mind, the three key issues in pro cycling - the economic model, rider safety and women's cycling. (Of course the clinic will only judge him on doping)

A landscape gardener who fell asleep at the wheel on several occasions. So much so his own countrymen were doping under his nose.

You could bring back McQuaid and he’d do a better job than selfie Cookson.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

12 Dec 2017 03:45

Parker wrote:
heart_attack_man wrote:
Parker wrote:

Fair enough - I personally don't think cycling is in a better state in 2017 than '13, but YMMV. I don't believe it's in a better state than 2001 for that matter. It was certainly better to watch then, even if it was turbo-charged.
heart_attack_man

12 Dec 2017 13:57

Parker wrote:
heart_attack_man wrote:
Parker wrote:

The clinic is not a single entity. Stop trolling.

Doping not a key issue?

Motors not a key issues?

I would have put those 2 up top. But then i see the sport for what it truly is.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

14 Dec 2017 23:06

The Carrot wrote:
Freddythefrog wrote:Sutton left to run the show at BC.

Taylor left Cloughie to do it on his own because Taylor thought he could. This is a case of Sir Dave leaving Sutton to do it on his own because Shane thought he could. "So you think you can get by without me Shane do you. Well let's just give that a go."

Best thing that could have happened. Sky will be stable. British Cycling with Sutton in charge. As the eloquent poster put it a few years ago when Floyd wrote us his letter - I am going to pull up a chair and a case of beer. This is going to be one to watch.

Freddythefrog must have got through a lot of beer this week. :D

Well that was April 14. I have had a couple of beers in the last two days. Going to tip my hat to Cath Wiggins tonight.

(Edit - added for those who could not find it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017/12/14/sir-bradley-wiggins-wife-cath-calls-chris-froome-slithering/). The instability has migrated.
Last edited by Freddythefrog on 15 Dec 2017 16:19, edited 2 times in total.
Freddythefrog

15 Dec 2017 09:28

To me the difference between Wiggins and Froome is like the difference between Berlusconi and Bush. When Bush was on TV I switched channels, because I couldn't stand his face. When Berlusconi was on TV I kept watching because I wanted to know what scandal he was involved in this time. I knew he was a crook, but it had entertainment value. With Wiggins it's the same. Seeing how he transformed his body from gaunt cyclist to robust rower made me laugh. That guy is quite fanatic and eccentric.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

Re:

17 Dec 2017 17:43

Pantani_lives wrote:To me the difference between Wiggins and Froome is like the difference between Berlusconi and Bush. When Bush was on TV I switched channels, because I couldn't stand his face. When Berlusconi was on TV I kept watching because I wanted to know what scandal he was involved in this time. I knew he was a crook, but it had entertainment value. With Wiggins it's the same. Seeing how he transformed his body from gaunt cyclist to robust rower made me laugh. That guy is quite fanatic and eccentric.

As much as I disliked Wiggins as a cyclist, because of his conservative racing style, he comes over as a rather friendly person. Froome on the other hand, while instantly being liked for exposing Wiggins, comes over as an absolute mangy guy, with his fake friendliness, his dull groupie wifey etc. pp

He's seems to be an absolute disgrace as a human being. That certainly can't be said about Wiggins. Probably not even about Armstrong. Because with Lance at least it's slightly comprehensible how he became that sociopathic and cocky.
User avatar staubsauger

18 Dec 2017 19:13

staubsauger wrote:
Pantani_lives wrote:To me the difference between Wiggins and Froome is like the difference between Berlusconi and Bush. When Bush was on TV I switched channels, because I couldn't stand his face. When Berlusconi was on TV I kept watching because I wanted to know what scandal he was involved in this time. I knew he was a crook, but it had entertainment value. With Wiggins it's the same. Seeing how he transformed his body from gaunt cyclist to robust rower made me laugh. That guy is quite fanatic and eccentric.

As much as I disliked Wiggins as a cyclist, because of his conservative racing style, he comes over as a rather friendly person. Froome on the other hand, while instantly being liked for exposing Wiggins, comes over as an absolute mangy guy, with his fake friendliness, his dull groupie wifey etc. pp

He's seems to be an absolute disgrace as a human being. That certainly can't be said about Wiggins. Probably not even about Armstrong. Because with Lance at least it's slightly comprehensible how he became that sociopathic and cocky.

Wiggins called cycling fans who doubted him, Bone Idle Wankers and ****. They were right. So who is the W****r and **** now?

Froome is being led by his wife. Sad but true.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

19 Dec 2017 13:11

His wife makes Naomi Campbell appear rather charming. Actually Naomi is rumored to be kinda bossy but generous, while the former groupie seems to be bossy & nasty only!
User avatar staubsauger

30 Dec 2017 13:47

https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/946790491118501888

Hat off to the the man Brad - Wiggins posting a picture of himself wearing Lance's jersey. Perhaps he does believe his own hype that he has gone through living hell over jiffygate - "what did I do wrong ?" A bit like Lance's comments on the dawg and "I suppose I have contributed to some of the problem" - no Lance, you rest easy, all that cancer-shield stuff you really didn't do becasue you are a scheming snake and knew this was a great way to take advantage of a group of people and use them to hide your nefarious activities out of sight behind them. You are innocent Lance, just a victim of tragic cicumstance, you had to do it.

These people make me sick. Brad knows all about the iconography of the sport and knew exactly what he was doing posting that, but for the long term love in between Lance and Wiggins (and Cav), this is worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/nov/18/lancearmstrong-cycling-tourdefrance-donaldmcrae

It really is an awesome interview that appears totally shocking now nine years later, well worth a read of the whole thing but here are a few snippets.
The Brad love-fest
ON THE MEDIA SUSPICION

DM - Media reaction is going to be heavily laced with doubt - in contrast to someone like Bradley Wiggins who seems very excited about your return to the Tour. [Brad and Mark Cavendish, who won four stages last year, will both be riding hard on the Tour next year]

LA - He's great, a fantastic pursuit rider. Cav [Mark Cavendish] is crazy!

DM - On your last podium in Paris you said you felt sorry for people who doubted cycling and the integrity of yourself and the Tour - and then Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich got busted?

LA - Egg on my face. Egg on my face. But look at the Brits on the track this year - absolutely outstanding. And still the head of French cycling said their performance 'is not possible'. Give me a break. Bradley Wiggins is the best **** pursuiter of all time. I don't think he cheated. No! He's the most talented, he worked the hardest, he had the best position, he had the most knowledge, he won. So if I could talk to your cycling buddies I would say, 'Just **** relax. We're not talking about God. We're not talking about war. We're not talking about you losing every dime you had. We're talking about bike-racing."

The whole interview is just so awesome. Lance is truly one of the greatest pric*s in a sport that has just so many. Another gem on restest of past Tour samples
LA " They retroactively tested all the samples, for the record, three separate labs tested those samples. One of the experts came back and said the samples were too clean, too clean." At the time Lance would have know that the UCI had been informed by the labs that after the 1998/1999 resteset of the samples, Lance had provided 6 which showed positive for epo and the UCI had just gone for the cover up.

There is a great section where Lance states he is doing his comeback not for himself but for cancer sufferers everywhere. Now we know that he did nearly f all for cancer sufferers but was billing the charity extortinate fees for his own appearances and those of his sychophants who appeared with him on "the behalf" of the charity. That Guardian interview really is "where is that sick bucket" type stuff to read all these years later.

Wiggo - no wonder you have a man-crush on Lance - he is such a role model. That picture was a real FU to digger forum and the like.
Freddythefrog

Re:

30 Dec 2017 17:18

Freddythefrog wrote:https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/946790491118501888

Hat off to the the man Brad - Wiggins posting a picture of himself wearing Lance's jersey. Perhaps he does believe his own hype that he has gone through living hell over jiffygate - "what did I do wrong ?" A bit like Lance's comments on the dawg and "I suppose I have contributed to some of the problem" - no Lance, you rest easy, all that cancer-shield stuff you really didn't do becasue you are a scheming snake and knew this was a great way to take advantage of a group of people and use them to hide your nefarious activities out of sight behind them. You are innocent Lance, just a victim of tragic cicumstance, you had to do it.

These people make me sick. Brad knows all about the iconography of the sport and knew exactly what he was doing posting that, but for the long term love in between Lance and Wiggins (and Cav), this is worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/nov/18/lancearmstrong-cycling-tourdefrance-donaldmcrae

It really is an awesome interview that appears totally shocking now nine years later, well worth a read of the whole thing but here are a few snippets.
The Brad love-fest
ON THE MEDIA SUSPICION

DM - Media reaction is going to be heavily laced with doubt - in contrast to someone like Bradley Wiggins who seems very excited about your return to the Tour. [Brad and Mark Cavendish, who won four stages last year, will both be riding hard on the Tour next year]

DM - On your last podium in Paris you said you felt sorry for people who doubted cycling and the integrity of yourself and the Tour - and then Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich got busted?

LA - Egg on my face. Egg on my face. But look at the Brits on the track this year - absolutely outstanding. And still the head of French cycling said their performance 'is not possible'. Give me a break. Bradley Wiggins is the best **** pursuiter of all time. I don't think he cheated. No! He's the most talented, he worked the hardest, he had the best position, he had the most knowledge, he won. So if I could talk to your cycling buddies I would say, 'Just **** relax. We're not talking about God. We're not talking about war. We're not talking about you losing every dime you had. We're talking about bike-racing."

The whole interview is just so awesome. Lance is truly one of the greatest pric*s in a sport that has just so many. Another gem on restest of past Tour samples
LA " They retroactively tested all the samples, for the record, three separate labs tested those samples. One of the experts came back and said the samples were too clean, too clean." At the time Lance would have know that the UCI had been informed by the labs that after the 1998/1999 resteset of the samples, Lance had provided 6 which showed positive for epo and the UCI had just gone for the cover up.

There is a great section where Lance states he is doing his comeback not for himself but for cancer sufferers everywhere. Now we know that he did nearly f all for cancer sufferers but was billing the charity extortinate fees for his own appearances and those of his sychophants who appeared with him on "the behalf" of the charity. That Guardian interview really is "where is that sick bucket" type stuff to read all these years later.

Wiggo - no wonder you have a man-crush on Lance - he is such a role model. That picture was a real FU to digger forum and the like.

Yes that picture was a huge FU to cycling fans.

Wiggins is definiely unhappy. He would not be posting these things if he was not being eaten up inside by his cheating and this is his way to try and hide that.

Also funny how LA never earmarked Wiggins as a future GT winner. :D
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

30 Dec 2017 19:47

staubsauger wrote:Because with Lance at least it's slightly comprehensible how he became that sociopathic and cocky.
How? That sounds interesting.
Kokoso

30 Dec 2017 20:03

Benotti69 wrote:
Freddythefrog wrote:https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/946790491118501888

The Brad love-fest
ON THE MEDIA SUSPICION

Yes that picture was a huge FU to cycling fans.

Wiggins is definiely unhappy. He would not be posting these things if he was not being eaten up inside by his cheating and this is his way to try and hide that.

Also funny how LA never earmarked Wiggins as a future GT winner. :D

Wiggins publically called L.A. a "lying bastard" in 2013, and appeared on various interviews whining how Lance stole his podium place at the 2009 Tour. Now he is wearing his WC 93 jersey. It seems incongruous, but it isn't. It's just standard doublespeak from pro cyclists.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

22 Feb 2018 08:09

User avatar MartinGT

Re:

22 Feb 2018 08:34

Being detached from negativity
= more positives?
:)
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

22 Feb 2018 08:39

Really? I can't see past the blinding hypocrisy in almost every single word of this interview....
brownbobby

22 Feb 2018 08:47

brownbobby wrote:

Really? I can't see past the blinding hypocrisy in almost every single word of this interview....

Oh there's loads of it tbh, but all in all I enjoyed it :lol:
User avatar MartinGT

22 Feb 2018 08:53

MartinGT wrote:
brownbobby wrote:

Oh there's loads of it tbh, but all in all I enjoyed it :lol:

Yeah, most of what he says i agree with, its just that he's one of the last people i think can come out with some of that stuff without it sounding like sattire :lol:
brownbobby

22 Feb 2018 09:34

"In some ways, we are detached from it because we're not a professional team, I like the U23s because it's free of all that."

Euphemism alert!

"I'm going to have my say on [jiffygate] very soon."

That nice Mr Fotheringham is ghosting another Wiggo autobiography
Wiggo's Package

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic