Register

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Wiggins, Clinic respect?

23 Dec 2018 17:11

Craigee wrote:and showing up and stropping around the Manchester velodrome straight after getting away with testifying.
Person A has a panic attack on Monday. On Tuesday, is Person A required to stay at home, avoiding work colleagues believing that his mental health crisis has caused them an unacceptable level of embarassment and that he should become an agoraphobic recluse? Or do we live in a more normal world where Person A is actually encouraged to return to work and get on with life?

Are you really the type of person who seeks to stigamtise mental health, Craigee?
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

23 Dec 2018 18:51

macbindle wrote:What did you expect? The Spanish Inquisition?....

rick james

24 Dec 2018 04:37

fmk_RoI wrote:And yet there is no pride at stake in the nationally-biased DCMS enquiry by which you set such great store.

Quite a bit of kettle logic going on here.

As usual you assume too much, dear Fergie. I place no stock in the DCMS committee or any other sports-based/focused regulatory review body. I form my own opinions, be they on Sky or anything else. I don't need any official determination to vindicate them. The DCMS inquiry did some decent work, but it's final report was flawed and flaky.

Same with Freeman's book. Of course it was ghost-written. How much he wrote or input himself is irrelevant (though I note he carefully told the Beebs that "I feel well enough now to write it. There's some important messages I want to get across" - gotta say the right thing). The point is that he saw fit to get involved in the production of a book and cash in on his fleeting fame at the time or shortly after he was supposedly suffering from a major depressive illness and was even suicidal. Make of that what you will - in context with the rest of his actions in the last 2 years I know what I think.
Last edited by Mamil on 24 Dec 2018 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mamil

24 Dec 2018 05:21

fmk_RoI wrote:
Craigee wrote:and showing up and stropping around the Manchester velodrome straight after getting away with testifying.
Person A has a panic attack on Monday. On Tuesday, is Person A required to stay at home, avoiding work colleagues believing that his mental health crisis has caused them an unacceptable level of embarassment and that he should become an agoraphobic recluse? Or do we live in a more normal world where Person A is actually encouraged to return to work and get on with life?

Are you really the type of person who seeks to stigamtise mental health, Craigee?

Oh for petes sakes. Stop playing internet games. and stop putting words in peoples mouths. Anyway it's the doctor who is using mental health to hide behind so take that up with him.

I stand by what I said. You can't expect everyone to believe you can't leave your home to testify but then rock on up at the velodrome. Things should've been taken further against him there but he's abusing the health system. Oh yeah just like team sky abuses the TUE system. They have no scruples and bring down the good name of good Brits. You Brits used to be known for doing the fair thing and having some pride.
Craigee

24 Dec 2018 06:00

By whom were we known for that?? Ourselves???

We are known for spawning the largest empire in the modern era, founded on violence and deception, for duplicity, hypocrisy and deceit. For exploitation and subjugation of our colonial captives and a subsequent century of denial.

So Team Sky probably did some naughty things, just like everybody else in recent history? Big deal. My heart bleeds for the poor pure innocents they cheated out of potential victory, people like Nibali from the whiter than white Astana, or Quintana and his almost holy wingman, Valverde.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

24 Dec 2018 08:07

almost holy
:D

St. Bertie is the Iberian Icon. :)
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

30 Dec 2018 13:43

Mamil wrote:The point is that he saw fit to get involved in the production of a book and cash in on his fleeting fame at the time or shortly after he was supposedly suffering from a major depressive illness and was even suicidal. Make of that what you will - in context with the rest of his actions in the last 2 years I know what I think.
What I make of that is that your take on mental illness depends very much on sterotypes that bear little or no relation to reality.

Most people who have worked with someone who has committed suicide will tell you they never saw it coming. You don't have to hide away from the world to want to quit it. The same goes with being back at work the day after a panic attack: this is actually what people with mental health problems do.

Whether Freeman really does have mental health problems or whether he's trying to pull the wool over our eyes I don't know. But I do know that stigmatising mental health issues by relying on such stereotypes helps no one: it doesn't help those with genuine mental health issues, and it does not help prove your point.
User avatar fmk_RoI

01 Jan 2019 01:25

fmk_RoI wrote:What I make of that is that your take on mental illness depends very much on sterotypes that bear little or no relation to reality.

Most people who have worked with someone who has committed suicide will tell you they never saw it coming. You don't have to hide away from the world to want to quit it. The same goes with being back at work the day after a panic attack: this is actually what people with mental health problems do.

Whether Freeman really does have mental health problems or whether he's trying to pull the wool over our eyes I don't know. But I do know that stigmatising mental health issues by relying on such stereotypes helps no one: it doesn't help those with genuine mental health issues, and it does not help prove your point.

More assumptions. I used to be employed in the health sector, working frequently with people with mental health conditions. I'm well aware of the myriad ways in which such conditions can impact upon people and their behaviour. I stereotype nothing.

Maybe Freeman did have the conditions and issues he claims. Of course it's impossible to know whole truth. But if he didn't, or if he was exaggerating them, and I believe based on the available evidence that this is more likely to be the case, then I would consider such behaviour to be absolutely reprehensible, especially coming from a doctor. You talk of me stigmatising mental health issues? The irony. You're looking in the wrong place. To make false use of mental health issues is deeply immoral, and an insult to those who genuinely suffer. Bit like Froome and his ridiculous posing as a champion of asthmatics. IF...
Mamil

01 Jan 2019 06:09

That's all well and good but making that post hasn't moved you any closer to actually knowing whether Freeman was ill. All you've done is repeat yourself.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

01 Jan 2019 07:45

macbindle wrote:That's all well and good but making that post hasn't moved you any closer to actually knowing whether Freeman was ill. All you've done is repeat yourself.

I don't understand this post. I'm not trying to make the case here for Freeman's true mental state, nor attempting to seek it out. I already know what I think, and I've no interest in convincing anyone else of this or that position on the subject. My last couple of posts are simply refutations of some simplistic, erroneous assumptions and accusations.

I do kind of agree on the repeating though - there seems to sometimes be a need to spell things out really slowly. This has strayed off topic and from my original contribution to the discussion and I'll not be pursuing this particular avenue any further.
Mamil

01 Jan 2019 11:29

Mamil wrote:To make false use of mental health issues is deeply immoral, and an insult to those who genuinely suffer.
Which is what I've been telling you. But...
User avatar fmk_RoI

24 Jan 2019 23:36

British Cycling to widen net in probe over Dr Richard Freeman as they invite former riders to contact them with any concerns over allegations against him
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6624935/British-Cycling-widen-net-probe-Dr-Richard-Freeman.html
Tim Booth

25 Jan 2019 16:41

As a former star of 'The Jump' - and one who suffered an injury - Wiggins's people will be following this closely:
It was billed as a chance to watch celebrities tackle “seriously scary winter sports” on prime-time television, but the makers of The Jump are facing a seriously scary legal bill after an Olympic gymnast announced she is suing for £200,000 in damages after being injured on the show.

Beth Tweddle was airlifted to hospital in February 2016 while training on the ski jump at the Channel 4 show’s set in Austria. She said she had never fully recovered from the incident, which had affected her ability to work, and insisted the programme makers have never accepted responsibility.
Deets
User avatar fmk_RoI

06 Feb 2019 12:13

Freeman a no show at his hearing today.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, the GMC should have arranged a book signing beforehand.
budegan

15 Apr 2019 00:17

Tim Booth wrote:British Cycling to widen net in probe over Dr Richard Freeman as they invite former riders to contact them with any concerns over allegations against him
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6624935/British-Cycling-widen-net-probe-Dr-Richard-Freeman.html

All of which came to nothing, got to love British Cycling, master of the cover up :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

15 Apr 2019 07:27

...............or did no riders step up.....................?
User avatar ebandit

Re:

15 Apr 2019 12:19

ebandit wrote:...............or did no riders step up.....................?

Omerta is strong. They've seen what happened to Varnish, why risk it?
User avatar MartinGT

12 May 2019 10:55

Fan Girl Orla Chennaoui in yesterday Giro talking with Wigan and Simon Richardson about holding form all season. Mentioned how Wigan did it for 2012. Lets totally overlook the masses of TUES eh Orla.
User avatar MartinGT

12 May 2019 12:53

Ha ha yes. That was exactly what I was thinking when I heard it.
User avatar macbindle

13 May 2019 06:51

I must say though. His knowledge and commentating etc has been enjoyable.
User avatar MartinGT

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic