Log in:  

Register

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Jul 2018 17:17

I worked for Kitchings thanks not a bike shop. Well I did initially. I was shop and team mechanic and we sold crap loads of Oakley sunglasses and Time Eqiupe Shoes and Pedals off LeMonds 89 Tour win. Happy days!
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

10 Jul 2018 17:38

samhocking wrote:I worked for Kitchings thanks not a bike shop. Well I did initially. I was shop and team mechanic and we sold crap loads of Oakley sunglasses and Time Eqiupe Shoes and Pedals off LeMonds 89 Tour win. Happy days!


That would be Time “Equipe” shoes. Oakley didn’t take off till about 1995 (beginning of the Internet or WWW I should say), when they went IPO. It was the UK and European sales which almost took the company down in 1997.

History should be looked from a global perspective rather than a local bike shop but glad you had fun :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

10 Jul 2018 18:45

Keep up Hog. I was racing bikes and selling his kit in 1989. It was a fantastic time to be involved in bike racing I can remember what any rider wore and rode in that time because fans came into the shop asking to buy what riders were racing what stuff.

Everything you need to know that sold in huge numbers in 1989 and onwards is in this photo. Oakely Razors, Time Equipe Shoes, Time Equipe Pro Magnesium Pedals, Giro helmets and thousands of ADR jerseys too.

Image
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re: Wiggins, Clinic respect?

10 Jul 2018 19:03

Thousands of ADR jerseys even though LeMond went to Z the following year and had already signed September 1989.

Revisionist history.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

10 Jul 2018 19:13

Yeah, because people always buy the jersey that their favourite rider isn't wearing :p :lol:
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re:

10 Jul 2018 19:18

macbindle wrote:Yeah, because people always buy the jersey that their favourite rider isn't wearing :p :lol:


As we all remember, in 1989 LeMond won jack sh1t all year and was half racing for the US Coors team spending little time in Europe. Only by the Tour in July did he magically flourish signing ith Z by the Worlds where he was wearing the US Jersey.

Sams “thousands” claim on ADR jersey is most likely embellished like most of his posts.
Last edited by thehog on 10 Jul 2018 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

10 Jul 2018 19:25

I'm obviously exaggerating, they sold far more than other team jersey by several times though on the mail order side that year. Obviously Colin Sturgess was riding with ADR, so that helped. Probably wasn't far off 1000 sales though. Z sold crazy too and Oakley Mumbo range went loopy too with LeMond at Z.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

10 Jul 2018 19:36

samhocking wrote:I'm obviously exaggerating, they sold far more than other team jersey by several times though on the mail order side that year. Obviously Colin Sturgess was riding with ADR, so that helped. Probably wasn't far off 1000 sales though. Z sold crazy too and Oakley Mumbo range went loopy too with LeMond at Z.

And this is related to Wiggins
How?
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,496
Joined: 16 Feb 2010 14:25
Location: Sardinia

10 Jul 2018 19:40

We're talking about riders transcending their sport and a bicycle industry flourishing from/because of that. i.e. look at cycling in UK pre and post TeamGB/Wiggins Tour de France success. Just looking at all the sky jerseys cycling around London is always is a bit of a surprise when I go up for work and stuff, you realise what a huge effect he had and obviously now Froome too to a lesser extent.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

10 Jul 2018 22:18

Wiggins transcended his sport so much his team doesn't get invites to the big races.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,456
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re:

11 Jul 2018 01:04

samhocking wrote:I'm obviously exaggerating, they sold far more than other team jersey by several times though on the mail order side that year. Obviously Colin Sturgess was riding with ADR, so that helped. Probably wasn't far off 1000 sales though. Z sold crazy too and Oakley Mumbo range went loopy too with LeMond at Z.


Yes, we know you exaggerate, a lot.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

11 Jul 2018 09:14

Exaggerating numbers doesn't change the premise of what I am discussing. We sold far more ADR jerseys than any other pro teams because of LeMonde's win, it was that simple. We sold Time shoes and pedals precisely because of LeMondes win. Before that, there wasn't any disproportionate demand for Time by customers. Just go back to pictures in the comic pre and post LeMond'es 1989 win and you'll see the influence he had on what amateur racers were wearing and their purchase decisions influenced. It was the same for Trek, during Armstrong's wins. Man off the street were not buying Pinarellos because Ullrich came second, man on the street's new bike decision was influenced by what they saw Armstrong riding and sponsored by. Simple as, basic sponsorship marketing in full-effect.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

11 Jul 2018 11:00

samhocking wrote:Exaggerating numbers doesn't change the premise of what I am discussing. We sold far more ADR jerseys than any other pro teams because of LeMonde's win, it was that simple. We sold Time shoes and pedals precisely because of LeMondes win. Before that, there wasn't any disproportionate demand for Time by customers. Just go back to pictures in the comic pre and post LeMond'es 1989 win and you'll see the influence he had on what amateur racers were wearing and their purchase decisions influenced. It was the same for Trek, during Armstrong's wins. Man off the street were not buying Pinarellos because Ullrich came second, man on the street's new bike decision was influenced by what they saw Armstrong riding and sponsored by. Simple as, basic sponsorship marketing in full-effect.


Yes Sam, I’m sure it was all true :p
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

11 Jul 2018 11:19

I was one of them, blew a whole months wages on Time shoes, pedals and a pair of Mumbos.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

11 Jul 2018 11:22

samhocking wrote:I was one of them, blew a whole months wages on Time shoes, pedals and a pair of Mumbos.


No staff discount? :confused:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

11 Jul 2018 19:05

Benotti69 wrote:Wiggins transcended his sport so much his team doesn't get invites to the big races.



it's a development team......................

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,084
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

Re:

11 Jul 2018 19:13

ebandit wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:Wiggins transcended his sport so much his team doesn't get invites to the big races.



it's a development team......................

Mark L


Yet does get invited to races. Every team under WT could be called a development team.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,456
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

12 Jul 2018 09:54

That's not what he's saying. Team Wiggins is a U23 UCI Continental team, they focus on racing primarily in Europe e.g. they don't even ride the Tour Series domestically to develop those riders abroad. Obviously for ASO TdeY the wildcard criteria are not clear. For ToB the wildcard process is based on a relatively a straightforward qualification process only and they don't qualify for that anyway.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,622
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

12 Jul 2018 12:53

samhocking wrote:That's not what he's saying. Team Wiggins is a U23 UCI Continental team, they focus on racing primarily in Europe e.g. they don't even ride the Tour Series domestically to develop those riders abroad. Obviously for ASO TdeY the wildcard criteria are not clear. For ToB the wildcard process is based on a relatively a straightforward qualification process only and they don't qualify for that anyway.


In 2016, Wiggins entered the Tour De Yorkshire with his team and dropped out in the first stage. WIGGINS was not invited to the 2017 or 2018 Tour de Yorkshire.

Team Wiggins is a UCI Continental team.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,456
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

12 Jul 2018 13:14

team wiggins is a UCI continental team with the explicit goal of developing young british riders

instead of seeking opportunity for snide comment which has absolutely nothing to do with doping

surely praise for brad doing something for our sport would be more appropriate

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,084
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brownbobby, Saint Unix and 28 guests

Back to top