Register

Dr Steve Peters - Is he really just a confidence trickster?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

19 Mar 2013 13:52

B_Ugli wrote:If you were a highly successful business would you reveal to your competitors the secret of your success?

Not if I was a cheating Mother F...er
User avatar horsinabout

19 Mar 2013 14:10

mastersracer wrote:first hand, and in preparation stages of a longitudinal study on emotional regulation (cognitive reappraisal) and cognitive behavioral interventions in elite athletes.

In training cyclists and doing studies consider three things....

1.The Mind ............get anxious on start line of an important race (important value based, social pressure etc), rise in adrenaline/cortison levels - self talk "I need the sh*ter"

2. The Body..........Responds by moves toward the sh*ter, complete task, back to the start line. The Mind - self-talk - "what a load off". More self talk - "right then, lets kick some major ars*"

3. The Spirit..........more complex, this is the third dimention. Can't be studied. It is when you have more balls than the scientist/psychologist/physiologist in combo.
User avatar horsinabout

19 Mar 2013 14:12

horsinabout wrote:Not if I was a cheating Mother F...er

Now is that an evidence based statement? I think you probably need to back that up with some peer reviewed papers and scientific research!!:D:rolleyes:
B_Ugli

19 Mar 2013 21:18

Marginal Gains Confidence Trick

http://youtu.be/a8ikZzbYLJ0
User avatar horsinabout

21 Mar 2013 03:24

Don't be late Pedro wrote:Rooney is now more chimp then human.

I have noticed that in my professional and sporting life, I am motivated much more by fear of failure than desire for success.I don't think it's a good attribute and May be monkey related.
I wouln't mind a few sessions with the good Dr to sort me out.
simo1733

21 Mar 2013 09:31

simo1733 wrote:I have noticed that in my professional and sporting life, I am motivated much more by fear of failure than desire for success.I don't think it's a good attribute and May be monkey related.
I wouln't mind a few sessions with the good Dr to sort me out.

Vics said this is a baiting thread.

Pedro accused me of being a troll!

And I think the dodgy Dr Peters just caught another big one!:rolleyes:
User avatar horsinabout

22 Mar 2013 01:55

User avatar Parrot23

22 Mar 2013 02:10

^not dignified post
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

22 Mar 2013 02:31

User avatar Parrot23

22 Mar 2013 06:33

simo1733 wrote:I don,t suppose Suarez needed his services.

Doubt it, hes steel willed and iron skinned, all the **** thats been thrown at him and he just gives it back as a big FU with his exceptional performances.

Outstanding player.
Cavendash

23 Mar 2013 11:40

Cavendash wrote:Doubt it, hes steel willed and iron skinned, all the **** thats been thrown at him and he just gives it back as a big FU with his exceptional performances.

Outstanding player.

I like his don't give a f#*% attitude.He reminds me of Vinokourov.
simo1733

28 Dec 2014 02:05

Despite the BC cyclist's success, I think the answer to this thread is a resounding, "Yes".

"Beard" would have been a good word for it too.

I'm not sure if Peters was even in the Liverpool dug-out at Turf Moor yesterday because football has, largely, decided he's not worth following now that his aura has, well, receded. The idea that he might have been capable of psychologically manipulating a team into winning their club's first title in 24 years was hopelessly seductive.

Delivering British cyclists, Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton, to the top of the Olympic podium was one thing, but restoring Liverpool to the summit of English football would have taken Peters's reputation into another galaxy.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/peters-goes-from-guru-to-footballs-mr-invisible-30864411.html
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 02:18

A sports physiologist can only do so much; blatantly Liverpool were greater than the sum of their parts last season and their confidence was off the scale. I'm not convinced the manager was the source of that either. But then you sell your one world class player and no amount of psychology can make up for it
User avatar BradCantona

28 Dec 2014 03:48

I was going to close this thread, but the article is recent and gives an accounting of this clown as a "mind guru" charlatan.
User avatar Berzin

28 Dec 2014 04:43

Dear Wiggo wrote:Despite the BC cyclist's success, I think the answer to this thread is a resounding, "Yes".

"Beard" would have been a good word for it too.

Australian Aths coach is now going to one of the Melbourne Soccer clubs, think the red one, is it "Heart" who had Aloisi as coach, doubt he would still be coach, they usually last about 18months per is fudbol in Australia.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 04:47

BradCantona wrote:A sports physiologist can only do so much; blatantly Liverpool were greater than the sum of their parts last season and their confidence was off the scale. I'm not convinced the manager was the source of that either. But then you sell your one world class player and no amount of psychology can make up for it

the former Liverpool sports scientist made his way back to Australia about 24 months back, and you should see his new team, Port Adelaide, and how they are "performing".

Bringing back some nice hints from Merseyside. Or Mersyside.

do they grow cows there? it sounds like a cow growing city? Or is it just a port? Mersyside, good for bovine. That should be the city's slogan. They have a few dairy and beef towns in Australia that could be sister-cities.

Brad, you would be Eric's brother by the same father would you not? I like the familial genes for flying leg kicks. Reminded me of Ron Artest at Indiana PAcers running into the bleachers to go the knuckle with fans. I preferred Ron Artest to Meta World Peace. I think his ambition was above his station. He should have started with MEta Fan Peace. Sometimes, being humble, is an underrated trait. Atleat i think so.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 05:04

Who is it with PAFC? It was pretty blatant right from the start of 2013.

Heart is now Melbourne City - part of the Man City/NYC group, Van't Schip is their manager again.
Ferminal
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 05:10

Ferminal wrote:Who is it with PAFC? It was pretty blatant right from the start of 2013.

Heart is now Melbourne City - part of the Man City/NYC group, Van't Schip is their manager again.

Darren Burgess. but dont forget that PA is the home of the cycling AIS and Neil Craig and Charlie Walsh.

And I had mail that Manolo Saiz got his igf from Gropep in Adelaide that was stung during Operation Puerto. Gropep went out of business about 4 years ago. Gropep (growth peptides acronymish)

Is there a cycling race in Adelaide? oh?

who is the promoter of the race? he on the board of UCI. or was?

oh?

here is Burgess anyway...
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/07/12/port-adelaide-fitness-coach-praises-hinkleys-influence/

oh, and Allan Davis should have won green jerseys, the sport spat him out, when he was one of the talents to come out of del Monte. More talented than the current breed out of Australian cycling currently. Save p'raps Gossie, MAtthews and Gerro.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 05:40

Davis was at Del Monte?

Agreed he could have been better but ultimately he seemed unwilling to run his program himself.
Ferminal
Veteran

28 Dec 2014 09:52

What someone doing well in a nation that barely knows the game, a basic rudimentary understanding of tactics like when to pass and move, how to play the offside trap and knowing a trick like the Cruyff turn and the A-Leaguie is yours, bit like a Sunday morning pub league
del1962
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic