Register

GW501516 for performance enhancement.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

01 Jun 2013 15:12

thehog wrote:I agree with all of this. A wiggins podium is a 1000 times more marketable than a Froome win.

A Wiggins TT win is better than a Froome win.

Porte is a far better choice. As think as he is he comes across a lot better than Froome.

Froome is almost apologetic for his success.

McQuaid was saying the other day he expect a 'black' winner of the Tour within '6 years'. Perhaps Froome is that lead in.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/9321099/pat-mcquaid-calls-lance-armstrong-tell-all-uci

wont happen
McQuaid cited the growth of the sport in Asia and Africa, and predicted a "black African will make the podium of a major tour within the next six years."

need infrastructure on micro and macro level. micro level, will never ever compete with running where light athletes and races have a constitutional advantage that european races can never nullify and compete with.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 15:27

blackcat wrote:wont happen

need infrastructure on micro and macro level. micro level, will never ever compete with running where light athletes and races have a constitutional advantage that european races can never nullify and compete with.

Cost of a Cologno compared to barefoot running.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 15:34

plus hot pour asphalt. [macro]

tar and lime go right around the world.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 15:35

thehog wrote:Cost of a Cologno compared to barefoot running.

[micro cost] implied in my post hog. read with ones brain.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 16:49

Beech Mtn wrote:This I agree with. It was almost the perfect setup with Sky going for yellow and green, Mr. Mod combined with the world champion Cav - prelude to the Olympics. Perfect to whet the appetite of new British fans.

What I don't get is Froome being the chosen one for 2013. Yes, they want a Sky win. There's money to be made, new broadcasting contracts, ASO taking over Tour of Britain, starts in the UK, etc. But Froome just doesn't seem very marketable.

Wiggins wasn't classically handsome, but he has that whole mod thing going on, plus the humor, the history with British Cycling and winning on the track. He wasn't anonymous, they could play up the quirkiness, and British fans could feel like "he's one of ours."

Froome doesn't really have much to build his "star myth" upon. His historical lack of results raises eyebrows. He looks terrible on a bike - he's not going to inspire most of the guys who know cycling. He spends entire races with his head glued to that damned powermeter. He's from everywhere and nowhere, so he doesn't have a very strong national loyalty element to build his fanbase on. Off the bike, he's physically odd-looking, so he's not likely to attract the legions of fangirls like Contador, Cancellara, etc. He doesn't even have the boyish thing going for him that Andy Schleck has. Where is Froome's great popularity supposed to come from?

I know a lot of this is superficial, but we are talking about building up a sports star, and the superficial helps a lot with myth-making and building a fan base. I just don't see it with Froome. From ASO's perspective, is there a reason for them to care that Froome wins, or will any anglophone Sky rider do? A Porte is as good as a Froome is as good as a Wiggo? Or are we supposed to tie him to South Africa - is that the big market they're after? I really just don't see huge excitement and inspiration coming from a Froome win.

Froome is big enough already.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

01 Jun 2013 19:08

Pat is making all the right noises about uplifting African athletes, but what was he doing racing in SA in the '70s during the cultural boycott under a false name? The twit got caught by a sharp-eyed journalist and had to sit out the olympics as a result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McQuaid#Cycling_career

Everything we're hearing from him now - African grand tour winners, his fictitious anti-doping crusade - all smacks of utter desperation.

Here in SA there's no chance that our extremely small local racing scene will prepare anybody - white or black - to win a grand tour in the coming years. Chris Froome took us all completely by surprise.
FrankChickens

01 Jun 2013 20:33

So now Thor is lighter than ever. Evans said he lost weight to climb better. BMC may be on the same diet as Sky.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 21:03

Beech Mtn wrote:What I don't get is Froome being the chosen one for 2013. ...

.....I really just don't see huge excitement and inspiration coming from a Froome win.

(You are entirely correct.) Neither did Sir Brad or a lot of others. But Sir Dave nailed Froome's colours to the mast good and early. Good and early.

Yes, it could be anyone in a Sky jersey crossing the line in Yellow in Paris but Sir Brad was going to be a far better story, but it was not going to happen and it was not going to happen before the Giro started and that was regardless if Sir Brad had won the thing.
Last edited by Freddythefrog on 19 Jun 2016 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Freddythefrog

01 Jun 2013 22:44

Freddythefrog wrote:(You are entirely correct.) Neither did Sir Brad or a lot of others. But Sir Dave nailed Froome's colours to the mast good and early. Good and early.

Yes, it could be anyone in a Sky jersey crossing the line in Yellow in Paris but Sir Brad was going to be a far better story, but it was not going to happen and it was not going to happen before the Giro started and that was regardless if Sir Brad had won the thing.

So I make that there are 4 options for such a decision.
i) the figures were out and Brad & Rigoburto were nosediving and Froome was through the roof so there would be no contest.
ii) Team management had a guilty conscience about bullying Froome in 2012 and wanted to make clear, in the most public way, that they would do the right thing by Froome this year, regardless of Rigoburto or Sir Brad winning the Giro and any variations in form Froome went through in the 2 months before the Tour
iii) Froome gave them a nice offer that it was impossible to turn down.
iv) a story was made up to garner more headlines and stem the speculation but behind the scenes Brailsford told them it was anyone's race, the leader had to show form before the Tour.

If somebody has another viable alternative, I would be pleased to read it. This is the clinic and I am on for number 3. Maybe we will find out in 10 year's time.

Froome would have gone full retard on his own at the Tour. They only way to keep him in check so he doesn't look too ridiculous is the give him the leadership and make sure he doesn't make it too obvious.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

01 Jun 2013 23:14

If Froome did have that virus/bug then getting rid of it really would have made a big difference.
User avatar manafana

01 Jun 2013 23:23

manafana wrote:if froome did have that virus/bug then getting ride of it really would have made a big difference.

How do you explain his sucking before he had the bug?
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 00:20

BroDeal wrote:How do you explain his sucking before he had the bug?

He went from Bilharzia victim to superstar...sorry but it was a miraculous recovery.

Remember when another rider's body changed after a life threatening disease?
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 00:53

mewmewmew13 wrote:He went from Bilharzia victim to superstar...sorry but it was a miraculous recovery.

remember when another rider's body changed after a life threatening disease?

The disease made him go sideways up hills.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 01:00

thehog wrote:The disease made him go sideways up hills.

Are you suggesting Wiggins has been struck down by a similar parasite?
[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]
“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
User avatar Tinman

02 Jun 2013 01:07

thehog wrote:The disease made him go sideways up hills.

He did win the nuclear jock race, though..mad props for that.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 02:28

Tinman wrote:The Dauphine may show us a bit more about this new "chicken" effect. Ie. too skinny for some reason doesn't seem to work any more.

Super low body fat percentage + bad weather at many races this year = sickness sweeping across the peloton.
zachateseverything

02 Jun 2013 02:54

zachateseverything wrote:Super low body fat percentage + bad weather at many races this year = sickness sweeping across the peloton.

I think so too. But there may well be a doping angle also.

Without EPO one needed a certain muscle mass to win. With Epo the story shifted to higher cadence at less power per stroke and less muscle mass requirement.

With the new metabolic agents such as GW it is claimed one can retain power whilst being light and lean. Potentally makes for a great EPO microdosing combo.

They are now actively testing and busting riders for GW at the same time when several of the new look lean chickens are dropping by the wayside with reduced power outputs due to "illness".
[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]
“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
User avatar Tinman

02 Jun 2013 03:49

Tinman wrote:I think so too. But there may well be a doping angle also.

Without EPO one needed a certain muscle mass to win. With EPO the story shifted to higher cadence at less power per stroke and less muscle mass requirement.

With the new metabolic agents such as GW it is claimed one can retain power whilst being light and lean. Potentally makes for a great EPO microdosing combo.

They are now actively testing and busting riders for GW. At the same time when several of the new look lean chickens are dropping by the wayside with reduced power outputs due to "illness".

Actually, Ferrari's advice with Armstrong was to have a big off-season and come muscled.

riis, indurain, and armstrong suggest otherwise. all plus 70kg. ullrich in 97 was what, 72kgs or so? he was really lean. epo supercharged those athletes with more muscle mass. before that, you could have your pure grimpeurs like rasmussen and contador. but those guys, perhaps basso, but even basso is abotu 6feet, 71kg, he is not a columbian grimpeur. rass and contador are not setting the climb records of pantani riis and jamie burrow.
there used to be pure grimpeurs before oxygen vectors. now there is not. wiggins when he was +70kg and on a minimum medical program, could climb but IN THE GRUPPETTO OR AUTOBUS!!!
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 04:25

Zam_Olyas wrote:He did win the nuclear jock race, though..mad props for that.

It was a mere stepping stone to Grand Tour stardom.

2010 being a key year in development.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

02 Jun 2013 21:49

hello everybody, nice to meet you
I've just read all this topic, and if you dare to try this stuff (GW1516) - we can do some supply from Europe via AirMail. Aicar is also here.
Anyway, you can pm me.
doctorilla
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic