Register

Cannondale getting dropped in the new era of cycling

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 Sep 2017 15:59

JV's expecting CD EF to have a sucky 2018 season and is setting expectations accordingly:
“Winning races and getting the sponsor logo in the media is really nice, but sponsorship today is all about engagement,” Vaughters said. “So if your fans are that engaged, that shows the level of what we can bring to a brand.”
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

11 Sep 2017 17:02

Benotti69 wrote:
The cash raised through crowdfunding will be used for two purposes. First, the team will drastically increase its spending on science and technology. “Everything from aerodynamics to nutrition. Just executing well on what is known to work,”

How much money does one need to decide against wearing those poc mushroom hats or riding the oldest bike design in the pro peloton? Wheel sponsor Mavic is a perfect summary of the team's approach: all show and no go. (I happen to think Mavic is the least technologically innovative wheel company out there, but I'm glad their junk has good resale value.)
proffate

Re:

11 Sep 2017 20:49

fmk_RoI wrote:JV's expecting CD EF to have a sucky 2018 season and is setting expectations accordingly:
“Winning races and getting the sponsor logo in the media is really nice, but sponsorship today is all about engagement,” Vaughters said. “So if your fans are that engaged, that shows the level of what we can bring to a brand.”

Yep.

Boy does he do smug so well. Never mind the snake oil.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 18:32

proffate wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
The cash raised through crowdfunding will be used for two purposes. First, the team will drastically increase its spending on science and technology. “Everything from aerodynamics to nutrition. Just executing well on what is known to work,”

How much money does one need to decide against wearing those poc mushroom hats or riding the oldest bike design in the pro peloton? Wheel sponsor Mavic is a perfect summary of the team's approach: all show and no go. (I happen to think Mavic is the least technologically innovative wheel company out there, but I'm glad their junk has good resale value.)

I still have yet to see anyone look good in a POC helmet (road, the MTB ones aren't horrible), even the pros. Normally the pros make things look better, but the Octal and aero Octal are horrible. So ugly.

The amazing thing to me is that I've seen quite a lot of people in them, from full on roadies to commuters! Blows my mind, due to the looks AND the price tag. No thanks.

Even ultra-cool Sep VM looks bad in them :o
nayr497

13 Sep 2017 10:47

Well here's a first - me quoting Phil Gaimon approvingly:
I wasn't the only one who suffered from JV's silent treatment over the years. In fact, from what I could tell, he'd never actually fired anyone - he'd just ignore you until you got the message. I'm sure it's not easy to "break up" with riders every year, because it's not just losing a paycheck - it's heartbreak and failure. JV was a kingmaker: he pointed the finger and said "you," and your life was changed forever. When he signed someone, he'd Tweet about it, sharing the joy, accepting praise from fans and media, so it hurt when it was over, he made us go through it alone - no "I'm sorry we can't take you back," "thanks for your work," or even "good luck." A former team member sent me a picture of T-shirts he'd had made which said "Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," which he'd given to all the guys JV had burned over the years. I didn't get one, though. He'd run out.
Imagevia
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

13 Sep 2017 13:45

fmk_RoI wrote:Well here's a first - me quoting Phil Gaimon approvingly:
I wasn't the only one who suffered from JV's silent treatment over the years. In fact, from what I could tell, he'd never actually fired anyone - he'd just ignore you until you got the message. I'm sure it's not easy to "break up" with riders every year, because it's not just losing a paycheck - it's heartbreak and failure. JV was a kingmaker: he pointed the finger and said "you," and your life was changed forever. When he signed someone, he'd Tweet about it, sharing the joy, accepting praise from fans and media, so it hurt when it was over, he made us go through it alone - no "I'm sorry we can't take you back," "thanks for your work," or even "good luck." A former team member sent me a picture of T-shirts he'd had made which said "Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," which he'd given to all the guys JV had burned over the years. I didn't get one, though. He'd run out.
Imagevia

I wonder does JV have emotional baggage from his childhood, because that is strange behaviour.

Ouch!

"Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," :lol:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic