Register

Brits don't dope?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

25 Oct 2017 09:46

Freddythefrog wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2017/10/23/drug-cheats-will-not-face-time-jail-rules-review/

“None of those interviewed were in favour of criminalisation. Sports bodies believe that their investigations would be affected by criminalisation of doping in sport as it would slow down their own processes. The review found that criminalising the act of doping in sport would not add to combating doping in sport with the provisions that already exist sufficient.

“The report found that the strongest deterrent for athletes and their support staff is lengthy bans from their involvement in sport as well as the inevitable loss of earnings as a result of that.”

Yeah - way to go - criminalisation would slow down investigations and adequate deterent exists.

Can Tracey tell us when the UKAD investigation into Linda McCartney will be completed. Only been going for five years to date. Makes the Jiffybag investigation look like it is still at the pre-school stage.

Anti-doping works. La la la, I am not listening la la la. Who did she speak to ? Seb, Paula, Brad, Sutton and Sapstead ?

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation of what they said but there is certainly an interesting discussion to be had around whether criminalising the act of doping is worthwhile. Personally I don't think it is, just like I don't think criminalising drug users is particularly helpful. It's much better to pursue those who traffic, distribute and administer the doping through the current legal/professional framework available. There are no doubt improvements that could be made here, although I'm not at all confident in my knowledge of those laws and their limits nationally and internationally to make suggestions.

Why do you think criminalising the act of doping is a sensible way forward?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

25 Oct 2017 10:12

King Boonen wrote:
Freddythefrog wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2017/10/23/drug-cheats-will-not-face-time-jail-rules-review/

“None of those interviewed were in favour of criminalisation. Sports bodies believe that their investigations would be affected by criminalisation of doping in sport as it would slow down their own processes. The review found that criminalising the act of doping in sport would not add to combating doping in sport with the provisions that already exist sufficient.

“The report found that the strongest deterrent for athletes and their support staff is lengthy bans from their involvement in sport as well as the inevitable loss of earnings as a result of that.”

Yeah - way to go - criminalisation would slow down investigations and adequate deterent exists.

Can Tracey tell us when the UKAD investigation into Linda McCartney will be completed. Only been going for five years to date. Makes the Jiffybag investigation look like it is still at the pre-school stage.

Anti-doping works. La la la, I am not listening la la la. Who did she speak to ? Seb, Paula, Brad, Sutton and Sapstead ?

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation of what they said but there is certainly an interesting discussion to be had around whether criminalising the act of doping is worthwhile. Personally I don't think it is, just like I don't think criminalising drug users is particularly helpful. It's much better to pursue those who traffic, distribute and administer the doping through the current legal/professional framework available. There are no doubt improvements that could be made here, although I'm not at all confident in my knowledge of those laws and their limits nationally and internationally to make suggestions.

Why do you think criminalising the act of doping is a sensible way forward?

I do not wish to answer for Freddy, but, and I am a layman so at the risk of simplifying the issue: I would say "why not?". What are the downsides?
This is professional sports, with a lot of (often public) money at stake, much more than in many other branches and businesses. And so doping/cheating your way to a win is a serious form of financial fraud. Why not criminalize it, so as to encourage investigations that actually lead somewhere. What is/are the downsides?

edit: having said that, I would agree it's a bit harsh for an amateur athlete to end up with a criminal record for taking a substance s/he didn't know was banned. But at least at a professional level I think criminalization is sensible and warranted. It would, however, require very fine-grained legislation. Not sure if possible to have different legislation for professionals than for amateurs?
sniper
Veteran

25 Oct 2017 12:01

I would argue that doping is already criminalized in cases where professionals are involved.

Simply under "obtaining property through deception" or "fraud" for larger amounts.
User avatar Catwhoorg

11 Nov 2017 13:21

In case you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUoJ61sOEM

16.35mins in.

"apart from the child who supplies urine samples to the british cycling team".

Tells you all you need to know about the perception of cycling. Doping, doping, doping, doping.................
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic