Register

Brits don't dope?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

10 Oct 2017 23:36

Singer01 wrote:Come on, a load of idiots being busted for a bit of toot has nothing to do with the clinic.

So it's safe to assume you felt the same way about Boonen in 2008/9?

Yes, professional cycling existed then.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2017 02:24

42x16ss wrote:
Singer01 wrote:Come on, a load of idiots being busted for a bit of toot has nothing to do with the clinic.

Yes

Fenceline

14 Oct 2017 10:21

We discovered that UKAD had opened up an investigation into practices at BC/Team Sky over a year ago (6th October 2016) to be precise. Do we even know how this is coming along or why it is taking the length of time it is?

What about the select committee hearing, after Doctor Freeman's faked sickie to avoid giving evidence do we know if either he or Wiggins are due to be called to give further evidence. It all has the feel of another 'drag this out long enough and people will forget about it' story.

No credible answer to the contents of the jiffy bag, ludicrous statements around the use of 55 vials of kenacort, made up stories of stolen laptops, a roadtrip for the ages to deliver a €7 package not to mention Pooley's whereabouts and an offer about ratting on another team to dampen the initial story.

Another 2 grand tours of utter dominance later and the only conclusion I can draw is that nobody cares. When it comes to our sporting heroes it is easier to look the other direction.
ontheroad

Re: Brits don't dope?

14 Oct 2017 10:38

ontheroad wrote:We discovered that UKAD had opened up an investigation into practices at BC/Team Sky over a year ago (6th October 2016) to be precise. Do we even know how this is coming along or why it is taking the length of time it is?

What about the select committee hearing, after Doctor Freeman's faked sickie to avoid giving evidence do we know if either he or Wiggins are due to be called to give further evidence. It all has the feel of another 'drag this out long enough and people will forget about it' story.

No credible answer to the contents of the jiffy bag, ludicrous statements around the use of 55 vials of kenacort, made up stories of stolen laptops, a roadtrip for the ages to deliver a €7 package not to mention Pooley's whereabouts and an offer about ratting on another team to dampen the initial story.

Another 2 grand tours of utter dominance later and the only conclusion I can draw is that nobody cares. When it comes to our sporting heroes it is easier to look the other direction.

Without a new or more from the previous whistleblower, it'll not be going anywhere. For some, "silence is golden". The "ludicrous statements" say a lot, but you can not lock people up for saying stupid things.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Oct 2017 15:18

How did it come to be that we speak of the jiffy-bag-leak as a whistleblower?
Also, have people not seen Digger's tweet that guy who leaked the jiffy bag was Sutton?
So let's just call him Sutton. And while Sutton is a lot of things, for **** sake he's not a whistleblower.
sniper
Veteran

Re:

14 Oct 2017 15:26

sniper wrote:Whistleblower?
You mean Sutton?
Are we calling him a whistleblower now?

Someone from within Sky gave anonymous fairly detailed testimony the the DCMS committee about Sky's medical program around 2011-12. It's all on the DCMS website. (There's a link on one of the the other dozen Sky threads)
Parker

14 Oct 2017 15:31

Parker wrote:
You mean Sutton?

Someone from within Sky gave anonymous fairly detailed testimony the the DCMS committee about Sky's medical program around 2011-12. It's all on the DCMS website. (There's a link on one of the the other dozen Sky threads)

You mean the guy who said everything was above board?
:lol:
sniper
Veteran

14 Oct 2017 15:33

sniper wrote:
Parker wrote:
You mean Sutton?

You mean the guy who said everything was above board?
:lol:

The DCMS called him a whistleblower, not me
Parker

14 Oct 2017 15:37

I'm asking what whistleblower Robert is referring to.
Clearly he's not referring to the guy on the DCMS website saying Team Sky are above board. I don't care what the DCMS call him.
Robert I think is referring to the jiffy bag leak, but correct me if wrong.
If so, I'd suggest we just call him by his real name, Shane Sutton.
'Whistleblower' is not an accurate description of someone who strategically feeds crumbles to the press in order to take heat off himself and to get back at some people who he feels didn't support him during the troubled times he suffered having been falsely accused of sexism and bullying by Varnish.
sniper
Veteran

14 Oct 2017 17:32

I was replying to the DCMS/ UKAD investigation statement/question. Since no one has said they were the "whistle blower" I thought it best to leave it at that. As the jiffy bag story came via the Daily Mail it could be one and the same person.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/13/ukad-team-sky-breached-no-needles-allegation?CMP=share_btn_tw

Technically the DCMS committee info was within the rules - but the jiffy bag could be breaking them.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3825849/UK-Anti-Doping-investigate-Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-Team-Sky.html
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Oct 2017 18:24

Robert5091 wrote:I was replying to the DCMS/ UKAD investigation statement/question. Since no one has said they were the "whistle blower" I thought it best to leave it at that. As the jiffy bag story came via the Daily Mail it could be one and the same person.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/13/ukad-team-sky-breached-no-needles-allegation?CMP=share_btn_tw

Technically the DCMS committee info was within the rules - but the jiffy bag could be breaking them.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3825849/UK-Anti-Doping-investigate-Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-Team-Sky.html
cheers, and agree.

Sutton is clearly leaking very strategically, probably thinking the stuff he leaks is good enough to get some heat off himself, and good enough to show a few people they shouldn't mess with him...but without being really incriminating.
All the leaks hitherto fit that mold (armistests, jiffybag, salzwedel/ellingworth, the DCMS letter, Froome's Ventoux file), and I think they're all coming from Sutton. It doesn't make sense that all those leaks would be coming from various different people.
As for the jiffybag, Sutton probably underestimated the impact it would have.
sniper
Veteran

14 Oct 2017 18:37

sniper wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:I was replying to the DCMS/ UKAD investigation statement/question. Since no one has said they were the "whistle blower" I thought it best to leave it at that. As the jiffy bag story came via the Daily Mail it could be one and the same person.

cheers, and agree.

Sutton is clearly leaking very strategically, probably thinking the stuff he leaks is good enough to get some heat off himself, and good enough to show a few people they shouldn't mess with him...but without being really incriminating.
All the leaks hitherto fit that mold (armistests, jiffybag, salzwedel/ellingworth, the DCMS letter, Froome's Ventoux file), and I think they're all coming from Sutton. It doesn't make sense that all those leaks would be coming from various different people.
As for the jiffybag, Sutton probably underestimated the impact it would have.

As did Bradley Wiggins...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

17 Oct 2017 02:39

42x16ss wrote:

i couldn't give a toss about anyone taking cocaine ever, and i've been watching cycling since 89, the sterotype that anyone from the UK began watching cycling since 2012 is as lazy as it is boring.
Singer01

17 Oct 2017 09:30

Singer01 wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

i couldn't give a toss about anyone taking cocaine ever, and i've been watching cycling since 89, the sterotype that anyone from the UK began watching cycling since 2012 is as lazy as it is boring.

I agree.

Cycling viewership in the UK was low in 2012 and its low now. But isn't it Sky themselves who are the main authors of this stereotype by constantly trying to claim credit for how much cycling has increased as a sport in the UK since 2012. Though if that were true, TDF wouldnt be on ITV 4 still
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

19 Oct 2017 22:24

So the Jiffy bag story has taken yet another twist. Doctor Richard Freeman has resigned his position from British cycling due to a protracted sickie.......lasting almost 6 months!!!! Too scared to give evidence is probably more accurate, a lie followed by a lie followed by a lie.
ontheroad

Re:

20 Oct 2017 07:36

ontheroad wrote:So the Jiffy bag story has taken yet another twist. Doctor Richard Freeman has resigned his position from British cycling due to a protracted sickie.......lasting almost 6 months!!!! Too scared to give evidence is probably more accurate, a lie followed by a lie followed by a lie.

yup...poor soul...and all he ever did was lose a laptop

wonder why he's getting so stressed............................??

Despite the years spent practicing on the team with the 'most zero' zero tolerance approach to doping and having a wealth of information to put them in the clear.......oh...wait a minute..........
gillan1969

20 Oct 2017 11:41

wonder why he's getting so stressed............................??

He needs to go and see Chimp in Chief Steve Peters in order to get his "monkey mind" under control and return to peak performance :lol: :lol: :lol:
B_Ugli

20 Oct 2017 12:58

This Wiggins Sky Jiffy bag case is good proof of what they say about sociopaths. Freeman has clearly cracked and is no doubt ill with ulcers from all the worry. All whilst Wiggins and Brailsford carry on cool as cucumbers.

Just like Lance Armstrong. They have no guilt gene.
Craigee

24 Oct 2017 16:33

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2017/10/23/drug-cheats-will-not-face-time-jail-rules-review/

“None of those interviewed were in favour of criminalisation. Sports bodies believe that their investigations would be affected by criminalisation of doping in sport as it would slow down their own processes. The review found that criminalising the act of doping in sport would not add to combating doping in sport with the provisions that already exist sufficient.

“The report found that the strongest deterrent for athletes and their support staff is lengthy bans from their involvement in sport as well as the inevitable loss of earnings as a result of that.”

Yeah - way to go - criminalisation would slow down investigations and adequate deterent exists.

Can Tracey tell us when the UKAD investigation into Linda McCartney will be completed. Only been going for five years to date. Makes the Jiffybag investigation look like it is still at the pre-school stage.

Anti-doping works. La la la, I am not listening la la la. Who did she speak to ? Seb, Paula, Brad, Sutton and Sapstead ?
Freddythefrog

25 Oct 2017 05:11

Linda McCartney case is over 15 years old. I am certain the Statue of Limitations is 10 years, so where does UKAD go with the case. I suppose the French UKAD could investigate the 1922 TDF.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic