Register

Brits don't dope?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

01 Feb 2018 19:34

yaco wrote:
Parker wrote:
yaco wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
yaco wrote:NADO's dont need more money - Their doping figures are inflated by weekend warriors.

Huh?

Go through a NADO's list of positive tests and therefore suspensions - There are many amateur type 'athletes' in the pool - I don't see the value of busting a 52 year old athlete competing on weekends for a small stipend - There are far too many - Surely the mandate of the WADA code is to target PROFESSIONAL athletes - I want to see NADO's give more value for their money before handing out increased dollars.

I would expect that almost all the no-mark amateurs that get caught are due to tip-offs rather routine testing. They can't really ignore a credible tip-off.

Most are presence violations - Of course some could be because of tip offs - Then again there would be tip offs and target testing of professionals.

Gonna be loads of tip offs in Britain because English has no word for omerta. :lol:
Mayo from Mayo

Re: Re:

01 Feb 2018 19:54

yaco wrote:
Parker wrote:
yaco wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
yaco wrote:NADO's dont need more money - Their doping figures are inflated by weekend warriors.

Huh?

Go through a NADO's list of positive tests and therefore suspensions - There are many amateur type 'athletes' in the pool - I don't see the value of busting a 52 year old athlete competing on weekends for a small stipend - There are far too many - Surely the mandate of the WADA code is to target PROFESSIONAL athletes - I want to see NADO's give more value for their money before handing out increased dollars.

I would expect that almost all the no-mark amateurs that get caught are due to tip-offs rather routine testing. They can't really ignore a credible tip-off.

Most are presence violations - Of course some could be because of tip offs - Then again there would be tip offs and target testing of professionals.

Amateurs get caught because they are using unsophisticated methods, like buying Chinese EPO off the internet and following a regime that they also found on the internet.

Do you think that is what multi-millionaire Chris Froome would do, or do you think he might employ high-level doctors with the knowledge to avoid testing positive or tripping the BP
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

02 Feb 2018 16:20

My post is referring to whether NADO's and WADA deserve further budget consideration after reviewing there doping convictions. Catching 'weekend warriors' should hardly their domain - The question is whether they give 'value for money'. I doubt this very much.
yaco

02 Feb 2018 18:21

Understood. The point I am making is that sophisticated doping means by definition that it is hard to detect. Therefore costly to both administer and costly to detect.

If you want a kickass NADO it has to be funded appropriately.

I have a few pro-team contacts, and when I ask them whether they feel NADOs are under-funded their answer is invariably 'yes'.
User avatar macbindle

06 Feb 2018 12:44

Getting it back on track:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42957650

Usual excuses rolled out.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

06 Feb 2018 12:59

King Boonen wrote:Getting it back on track:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42957650

Usual excuses rolled out.

Of course the excuse does sound all too familiar and predictable, but i have to say of almost all anabolic steroids Trenbolone is one of the very last i would expect to hear about being used by a weight limited boxer..
brownbobby

07 Feb 2018 15:17

Nigel Levine suspended for clenbuterol positive. Poll on where he went on holiday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/42972647
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

08 Feb 2018 13:57

The reason for hunting after and catching amateur athletes is because it makes the authorities look like they are doing their job well when we all know they don't like catching the big fish for multiple reasons. Bad publicity for the sport in question for starters. All the legalities, costs that come with a big fish for seconds.
Craigee

Re: Brits don't dope?

19 Feb 2018 10:58

Colin Murray at home podcast recently with Radcliffe.
User avatar MartinGT

19 Feb 2018 11:06

MartinGT wrote:Colin Murray at home podcast recently with Radcliffe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05y5147
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

19 Feb 2018 11:16

TourOfSardinia wrote:
MartinGT wrote:Colin Murray at home podcast recently with Radcliffe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05y5147

Aye thats the one.
User avatar MartinGT

Re:

28 Feb 2018 19:08

I doubt it's going to allow us to definitively update the title of this thread to
Brits do dope
:(
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

01 Mar 2018 13:38

I think / hope this report might contain some surprises Tour...word on the grapevine is it will recommend the implementation of " sporting fraud " law ...which would be a big step in the right direction ...but we will see.
Darryl Webster

Re:

01 Mar 2018 14:59

Darryl Webster wrote:I think / hope this report might contain some surprises Tour...word on the grapevine is it will recommend the implementation of " sporting fraud " law ...which would be a big step in the right direction ...but we will see.

For sure Damian Collins has seen through the BS of the Brits Don't Dope establishment

Even so I'm not sure how robust the report is going to be. The DCMS committee grilled a lot of unconvincing witnesses but little if any hard evidence of actual doping presented to them (Dave Bedford and Dan Stevens the exceptions?). AFAIK they can only report and draw conclusions from evidence presented to them

But intriguing to note that parliamentary privilege applies to select committee reports (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_privilege#Select_committees). So the report doesn't need to pull punches for fear of libel actions from said Brits Don't Dope establishment

IIRC the committee started by investigating the Sunday Times' scoop about Paula's dodgy blood values, Seb Coe was dragged in and embarrassed himself. Should Paula and Seb be nervous? Possibly

Then they moved on to the Team Sky/BC medical room debacle and in particular Wiggo's jiffybag. Sould Braislfraud and Sutton be nervous? Hopefully someone other than Freeman will be thrown under the DCMS bus. For sure Brailsfraud must hate that he can't get his lawyers to Maxwellise his name from the report like he did with the BC culture of fear report last year
Wiggo's Package

01 Mar 2018 15:15

Not sure about the Brit Dope 'establishment'. So much of it looked like a mixture of incompetence and lack of resources rather than overt collusion with dopers. For sure, it looks like elements of sporting bodies don't want to catch dopers or perhaps can't, and so prefer it all to be quietly swept under the carpet.

Collins has done a decent job, not least for both giving Brailsford an uncomfortable time and secondly for giving Shane Sutton enough rope to hang himself (didn't need much, did he? The thick c**t)
User avatar macbindle

01 Mar 2018 17:18

I'm not confident in how substantive it will be, but in this sport any progress is... well, progress.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

02 Mar 2018 10:03

macbindle wrote:Not sure about the Brit Dope 'establishment'. So much of it looked like a mixture of incompetence and lack of resources rather than overt collusion with dopers. For sure, it looks like elements of sporting bodies don't want to catch dopers or perhaps can't, and so prefer it all to be quietly swept under the carpet.

Collins has done a decent job, not least for both giving Brailsford an uncomfortable time and secondly for giving Shane Sutton enough rope to hang himself (didn't need much, did he? The thick c**t)

Have you forgotten already about UKAD CEO Sapstead's leaked "No bad news before Rio" email...?
Wiggo's Package

02 Mar 2018 11:29

Haven't forgotten about it, but remember that members of the very same organisation were taking Sapstead to task over her email before the story broke. Remember also that that Lord Moynihan, ex-pres of BOA immediately called for her resignation. Therefore, it can hardly be labelled a 'doping establishment' if there was a large negative reaction from within the sporting admin world to Sapsteads attempt to bury bad news.

Certainly Reedie was right there doing nothing as usual, I grant you, and I can't remember what Coe had to say but he probably slid into a radio station somewhere to defend her then slid out leaving a trail of slime.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

02 Mar 2018 12:02

macbindle wrote:Haven't forgotten about it, but remember that members of the very same organisation were taking Sapstead to task over her email before the story broke. Remember also that that Lord Moynihan, ex-pres of BOA immediately called for her resignation. Therefore, it can hardly be labelled a 'doping establishment' if there was a large negative reaction from within the sporting admin world to Sapsteads attempt to bury bad news.

Certainly Reedie was right there doing nothing as usual, I grant you, and I can't remember what Coe had to say but he probably slid into a radio station somewhere to defend her then slid out leaving a trail of slime.

A decent effort at naming the BDD establishment

Reedie at WADA, tick. Coe at the IAAF, tick. Don't forget Cookson at the UCI (RIP). Sapstead at UKAD, tick. Plus Grainger new at UK Sport, deflecting heat onto the Russians.

GB medals are all that matter to these people. No interest in the how. Move along now nothing to see here. Rinse and repeat
Wiggo's Package

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic