Register

Badzilla, the disease of champions

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

27 Apr 2014 00:57

Tournesol wrote:It wasn't de Jongh,it was Julich,that other well known paragon of clean cycling.:rolleyes:

Thanks. I got the first letter of their name right :o
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 02:46

the sceptic wrote:What are your thoughts on the badzilla? Made up? legit? somewhere in between?

Too many varying accounts to make any sense of it. I would guess he probably had it at some point, and it later got co-opted as a cover story. The problem is that there have been so many accounts it seems clear people are lying about it. I can only think of one reason why there would be so many different accounts of how, when, what effect, and who found it.

Clearly I don't believe the "he got cured and now he's great" narrative. The timelines don't even match up between the various versions of the timeline. Just a ton of BS surrounding it.

More lies, which are move evidence of something being covered up.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 11:07

I hope it's not back :( May even be some advanced human-to-human transmissible form!
Ferminal
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 16:58

I think it will go away in time for the Tour de France!
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 08:44

I thought this was interesting:

A letter to the editor of the Zambia Post:

The reported increase in bilharzia cases in Lusaka's N'gombe township must attract the attention of all the responsible authorities.
This disease is commonly noticed when somebody passes blood in urine.

http://www.postzambia.com/post-read_article.php?articleId=48334

How Froome managed to be infected for years and not pass blood through his urine is pretty damn miraculous imo.
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 10:33

Dear Wiggo wrote:I thought this was interesting:

How Froome managed to be infected for years and not pass blood through his urine is pretty damn miraculous imo.

He was, but they did not see it, as they are all wearing rose-tinted glasses to help overcome their collective dyslexia.....:eek:
User avatar GreasyMonkey

30 Apr 2014 10:55

Dear Wiggo wrote:I thought this was interesting:

There are two types of bilharzia, or schistosomiasis as it's also called: intestinal (Schistosoma haematobium) and urinary (Schistosoma mansoni).

Froome probably had intestinal schisto? It has probably been covered elsewhere around here.
User avatar DJ Sprtsch

30 Apr 2014 14:46

DJ Sprtsch wrote:There are two types of bilharzia, or schistosomiasis as it's also called: intestinal (Schistosoma haematobium) and urinary (Schistosoma mansoni).

Froome probably had intestinal schisto? It has probably been covered elsewhere around here.

The worms are switched around
intestinal = (Schistosoma mansoni)
urinary = (Schistosoma haematobium)

They have never said which one he had, and given the eggs apparently have distinct shapes, I am guessing it could have been determined.

Either way, the symptoms he experienced are incredibly mild given the range of symptoms available.
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 15:06

Dear Wiggo wrote:The worms are switched around
intestinal = (Schistosoma mansoni)
urinary = (Schistosoma haematobium)

They have never said which one he had, and given the eggs apparently have distinct shapes, I am guessing it could have been determined.

Either way, the symptoms he experienced are incredibly mild given the range of symptoms available.

That there are 2 distinct strains, I would imagine Froome/sky would know which one he had/has but that they have not said makes it more of a smokescreen. It will be interesting if Walsh gives it enough attention to mention ( or even bother to investigate) which strain he had/has.
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 15:09

Benotti69 wrote:That there are 2 distinct strains, I would imagine Froome/sky would know which one he had/has but that they have not said makes it more of a smokescreen. It will be interesting if Walsh gives it enough attention to mention ( or even bother to investigate) which strain he had/has.

Maybe he mentions it in his book? ;)

There are 5 distinctive types, apparently, but only 2 in South Africa :D
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 20:11

Benotti69 wrote:That there are 2 distinct strains, I would imagine Froome/sky would know which one he had/has but that they have not said makes it more of a smokescreen. It will be interesting if Walsh gives it enough attention to mention ( or even bother to investigate) which strain he had/has.

There are far more obvious and less technical inconsistencies that he hasn't peered into. I won't hold my breath.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 21:07

red_flanders wrote:There are far more obvious and less technical inconsistencies that he hasn't peered into. I won't hold my breath.

Agreed I would never hold my breath for a doper.:D
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 21:10

Ha ha ha just seen this thread.

Badzilla

Brilliant :D
User avatar stutue

30 Apr 2014 21:17

I think you mean, 9 months and a million time since then.

Anyway the article doesn't say anything in particular about froome. Just uses his success as a title to get more views on an article about the history of bilharzia and some general info.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 21:27

The Hitch wrote:I think you mean, 9 months and a million time since then.

Anyway the article doesn't say anything in particular about froome. Just uses his success as a title to get more views on an article about the history of bilharzia and some general info.

It also says, "Chris Froome’s bilharzia infection is much less unlikely than some have suggested". No-one has suggested it was unlikely he had it, simply that an curing a fairly common disease shouldn't be enough to turn you into a Grand Tour contender. Particularly when it turns out you haven't actually cured it.
Nathan12

30 Apr 2014 22:11

Nathan12 wrote:It also says, "Chris Froome’s bilharzia infection is much less unlikely than some have suggested". No-one has suggested it was unlikely he had it, simply that an curing a fairly common disease shouldn't be enough to turn you into a Grand Tour contender. Particularly when it turns out you haven't actually cured it.

Or you can't remember when you contracted it or when it was cured or who found it or...
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 22:41

red_flanders wrote:Or you can't remember when you contracted it or when it was cured or who found it or...

or how long you had it or whether you were cured after the first treatment or how you got reinfected if that did in fact happen or why your symptoms were so mild as to be unnoticeable for the most part when the accepted symptoms seem to include cancer and / or blood in your urine (bladder worms) or bloated stomach, etc (intenstinal worms), and at the very least an itch or skin disturbance when the worms first enter the skin.

It pays to keep in mind that Froome is not an uneducated man living in an uneducated South African village with inadequate sewage systems and/or no running water, who defecates or urinates in his own water supply, propagating the life cycle of this parasite.
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

01 May 2014 00:14

Dear Wiggo wrote:or how long you had it or whether you were cured after the first treatment or how you got reinfected if that did in fact happen or why your symptoms were so mild as to be unnoticeable for the most part when the accepted symptoms seem to include cancer and / or blood in your urine (bladder worms) or bloated stomach, etc (intenstinal worms), and at the very least an itch or skin disturbance when the worms first enter the skin.

It pays to keep in mind that Froome is not an uneducated man living in an uneducated South African village with inadequate sewage systems and/or no running water, who defecates or urinates in his own water supply, propagating the life cycle of this parasite.

Indeed. Wonder when someone in the press will start asking these questions.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

01 May 2014 00:41

stutue wrote:Ha ha ha just seen this thread.

Badzilla

Brilliant :D

Yeah BroDeal sometimes has great one-liners. This one is one of them...
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic