Register

Official Valverde thread.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

02 May 2018 20:58

Landa probably wants to learn from Valverde's doping skills. Him and Froome are proof mediocre talents can win big with dope.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re:

10 May 2018 08:16

El Pistolero wrote:Landa probably wants to learn from Valverde's doping skills. Him and Froome are proof mediocre talents can win big with dope.

Landa was a mediocre talent? Nah froome was. Landa wasn't.
Frankschleck

10 May 2018 17:43

I'm guessing he meant Valverde.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

Re:

11 May 2018 09:38

Gung Ho Gun wrote:I'm guessing he meant Valverde.

Yeah, and that makes the statement better.......
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 May 2018 18:08

Not sure how Valverde was ever a mediocre talent when he won over 50 consecutive races as a cadet (where he earned the nickname El Imbatido). As both a cadet and junior everyone who watched him race and most who raced as teammates or against him all knew he was going to be a star as a pro.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Official Valverde thread.

13 May 2018 00:31

Fun to watch for a confirmed doper.
User avatar TubularBills

13 May 2018 22:21

How many careers were saved by the Operation Puerto pantomime ?
movingtarget
Veteran

20 May 2018 00:48

TubularBills wrote:Fun to watch for a confirmed doper.

Curious. How has Valverde been fun to watch? In the races I watched him, he sits in the wheels then uses his superior sprint (for a guy who can climb) to take the win. But this strength has also made him (understandably) timid, he knows he can win a sprint against virtually any other GC rider / climber so he is reluctant to make daring attacks. Why bust your guts to make a gap mid race when you can sit in then win any sprint?

For example, I think this timidity cost him and Spain a potential victory in the 2009 Worlds. He sat and watched as the eventual podium rode away on the last climb. Spain had three riders in the leading bunch. Evans was very strong but had Valverde rather than Purito been in that final attack I think the result might have been different.

I think some people confuse Valverde's winning record as entertainment. I must have missed races where he took the initiative such as, for example, Alberto Contador?
Cookster15

20 May 2018 03:00

Cookster15 wrote:
TubularBills wrote:Fun to watch for a confirmed doper.

Curious. How has Valverde been fun to watch? In the races I watched him, he sits in the wheels then uses his superior sprint (for a guy who can climb) to take the win. But this strength has also made him (understandably) timid, he knows he can win a sprint against virtually any other GC rider / climber so he is reluctant to make daring attacks. Why bust your guts to make a gap mid race when you can sit in then win any sprint?

For example, I think this timidity cost him and Spain a potential victory in the 2009 Worlds. He sat and watched as the eventual podium rode away on the last climb. Spain had three riders in the leading bunch. Evans was very strong but had Valverde rather than Purito been in that final attack I think the result might have been different.

I think some people confuse Valverde's winning record as entertainment. I must have missed races where he took the initiative such as, for example, Alberto Contador?

Oh his reliance on his sprint and his decision making at times have most definitely cost him several wins. However, you also can't really fault him for relying on that sprint of his. Yes it does make him a more conservative rider because he knows he can out sprint anyone who is as good or better climber than he is. (This goes back to the: He can out sprint anyone who out climb him and can out climb anyone who can out sprint him).
Now there are times he has attacked from a bit of a distance although rarely in the biggest of races. 2017 Murcia (although he's said he'd expected at least someone to go with him, but no one could follow his attack), 2016 Andaluca on the final climb. I'm sure Tejay hasn't forgotten that one. A stage in Catalonia 2017 (don't remember which one, maybe stage 3) where he attacked a few KM from the end to drop Froome and Contador. So yes he does on occasion. Actually the first stage of Andaluca that he won in 2017 he and Contador initiated the attacking which ended up resulting in him waiting for Contador and I Izzagirre at the bottom of the descent and another group of 4 riders bridging to them before the finish which yes he won in a sprint. However, most of us who are his fans also enjoy watching him sprint for wins and are more than happy to see him win that way. We also know he's given away his fair share of wins because of the way he usually races and maybe an over reliance on his sprint.
User avatar Koronin

17 Jun 2018 19:46

And finally:
Nowadays, he is probably the most famous representative of the darknest era od cycling, bloody bags era.
That's enough to wish him to win nothing, retire as soon as possible.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:02

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:And finally:
Nowadays, he is probably the most famous representative of the darknest era od cycling, bloody bags era.

This is the darkest era, and the most famous representative is the "dark knight" himself :p
User avatar Blanco

Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:31

Blinders on still.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:48

When commenting Froome, it will be better to post it in Froome's topic ... .
User avatar lartiste

Re:

17 Jun 2018 20:50

You want the crazy part about this whole thing? He's actually admitted that his doping ban has greatly extended his racing career. He said this back in 2016 that if he hadn't have had the year and a half forced time off where he was able to mentally turn off he'd have been retired before then and is currently racing on borrowed time. As for when will he actually retire, only he knows and I don't think he really knows yet. He's said maybe 2020 or maybe not. He's also said that as long as he's having so much fun and is still capable of winning why should he think about retiring. He'll retire when he's ready, which who knows when that will be. Last year when he got hurt he kept saying over and over, I'm not ready, I don't want to go.

Now, I will thank you for having the respect for him and his family that you do want to be happy and healthy in retirement so he can enjoy his family.
User avatar Koronin

18 Jun 2018 04:55

Valverde: That's a confirmation I did things right for the past month

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-thats-a-confirmation-i-did-things-right-for-the-past-month/

Yup.
Confirmation that all the BBs stored for the Tour are good.
Full of RBCs for you Piti. :lol:
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

18 Jun 2018 07:22

Still he's not any worse than mr huff and puff making everyone a fool 3 GT's in a row
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

18 Jun 2018 07:28

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Still he's not any worse than mr huff and puff making everyone a fool 3 GT's in a row

he's not worse, he's just weaker. ;)
dacooley

Re:

18 Jun 2018 08:10

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Still he's not any worse than mr huff and puff making everyone a fool 3 GT's in a row

So?
My post has nothing to do with Froome. :confused:
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here

Re: Re:

18 Jun 2018 08:13

dacooley wrote:

he's not worse, he's just weaker. ;)

Can't compete with a legend. That's fine. There can be only 1 in a few generations

Re: Re:

18 Jun 2018 15:44

lartiste wrote:

When commenting Froome, it will be better to post it in Froome's topic ... .

I approve of this post. Thumbs up!
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic