Register

Official Valverde thread.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

19 Nov 2018 17:24

It's there in the Board index and nowhere else for reasons that escape me.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

19 Nov 2018 19:06

Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't find one. I agree, I think if a Mod could either move this to an existing one or create a new one that would be great as these general Operation Puerto comments really don't belong in this thread.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Official Valverde thread.

25 Apr 2019 11:01

1. Why is this thread on the second page? Hilarious!

2. Has this guy stopped taking the weird and wonderful stuff since he won the jersey because something isn't working. :lol:

3. I've no idea why I'm in the clinic section, there's no beer!
wheresmybrakes

25 Apr 2019 11:33

He's still 5th on the 2019 CQ ranking. Might finally be his body that starts to decline.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

Re:

25 Apr 2019 20:16

Gung Ho Gun wrote:He's still 5th on the 2019 CQ ranking. Might finally be his body that starts to decline.

A natural decline doesn't happen that fast. There's more to it than just that. If you listen to his comments it's more mental. He won the race he always wanted since he was a young child. After that he's said several times, I just want to enjoy whatever time I have left. He's not trying as hard. It's also very likely the rest of the peloton is getting close to the doping levels of the early 2000's when he started and at 39 he's not willing to go there again.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

25 Apr 2019 22:07

Koronin wrote:
Gung Ho Gun wrote:He's still 5th on the 2019 CQ ranking. Might finally be his body that starts to decline.

A natural decline doesn't happen that fast. There's more to it than just that. If you listen to his comments it's more mental. He won the race he always wanted since he was a young child. After that he's said several times, I just want to enjoy whatever time I have left. He's not trying as hard. It's also very likely the rest of the peloton is getting close to the doping levels of the early 2000's when he started and at 39 he's not willing to go there again.

Why is this very likely?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

25 Apr 2019 23:17

King Boonen wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Why is this very likely?

The way they are racing and numbers and climbing times are in that range and it has that feel to it.
User avatar Koronin

26 Apr 2019 10:22

Koronin wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Why is this very likely?

The way they are racing and numbers and climbing times are in that range and it has that feel to it.

What climbing times are you referring to?

I don't pay close attention to all the climbs but the Alpe is always a good yardstick because it is usually raced hard. In last year's Tour Sky only managed a relatively pedestrian (compared to early 2000s) 41 minutes on the Alpe despite pulling from the bottom to nullify attacks.

Sorry but I really have a hard time believing that doping today is close to pre passport era.
Cookster15

26 Apr 2019 15:36

Cookster15 wrote:
Koronin wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Why is this very likely?

What climbing times are you referring to?

I don't pay close attention to all the climbs but the Alpe is always a good yardstick because it is usually raced hard. In last year's Tour Sky only managed a relatively pedestrian (compared to early 2000s) 41 minutes on the Alpe despite pulling from the bottom to nullify attacks.

Sorry but I really have a hard time believing that doping today is close to pre passport era.

This year Catalonia specifically.
User avatar Koronin

25 Jun 2019 05:04

Sooo... What's the deal with the weight loss?
Amazinmets87

Re:

25 Jun 2019 07:52

Amazinmets87 wrote:Sooo... What's the deal with the weight loss?

He wasn't competitive with his regular weight, so he lost some. Simple as that ;) Just ask Froome, Dumoulin, Thomas, etc.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

25 Jun 2019 18:55

Amazinmets87 wrote:Sooo... What's the deal with the weight loss?

Great question. Maybe for one more shot at his beloved Vuelta? Who knows.
User avatar Koronin

25 Jun 2019 19:24

He just lost the fat
F_Cance

Previous

Return to The Clinic