Register

Quintana??

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

31 May 2017 20:43

nairo..........the most attacking GT rider since hinault..........i heard that before

i think it was nairo's mother...............except this ain't no popularity contest

'tis the clinic and i don't think mothers are the ones to acknowledge just where that attacking

power came from

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

31 May 2017 20:46

ebandit wrote:nairo..........the most attacking GT rider since hinault..........i heard that before

i think it was nairo's mother...............except this ain't no popularity contest

'tis the clinic and i don't think mothers are the ones to acknowledge just where that attacking

power came from

Mark L
In all seriousness: do really think Nairo's mother knows who Hinault is/was?
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

31 May 2017 22:10

Speaking personally: when Quintana came on the scene as one of the only riders to be able to put Froome in trouble in a tdf, I was super enthused.

He stepped immediately into the most romantic of all cycling imputations: the ethereal goat who can dance up a mythical climb and destroy otherwise remarkable riders. Independent of skin colour, language and place of origin, those goats are always the most revered - partly due to their rarity.

But since then, he's stepped out of that myth - and become instead a very consistent GC rider who can make time on hard mountain stages, but never blow the race to bits. Kudos for that, his palmares speaks for itself. But appearing less interesting, less mythical, less popular all follow from becoming a consistent GC type.
User avatar The Hegelian

Re: Quintana??

31 May 2017 23:47

FWIW, I posted the final GC of the '09 Giro Della Valle d'Aosta in the Thibaut Pinot thread. All I wanted was a picture, then with some digging to find out about the field, things got interesting to me. Pinot won the overall, beat Aru and Quintana by almost one hour in six stages. I admit that I'm biased towards Pinot, but the turn of the tables is quite dramatic. What happened? Did Tibopino get overtaken by mutants? Look at the final GC, some usual suspects in there.

Quintana joined Banesto, different team name, same methods...Quintana??? should be Quintana :mad: .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

01 Jun 2017 10:04

Don't make comparisons like that. In 2010, Q won tour l'avenir, Dumoulin was 1 hour back

a year later, Chaves won, Dumoulin was 15th about 10/15 minutes back, and now Quintana was 40 minutes back.

You can't see things so black and white. Season goals and such
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

01 Jun 2017 15:57

Tonton wrote:FWIW, I posted the final GC of the '09 Giro Della Valle d'Aosta in the Thibaut Pinot thread. All I wanted was a picture, then with some digging to find out about the field, things got interesting to me. Pinot won the overall, beat Aru and Quintana by almost one hour in six stages. I admit that I'm biased towards Pinot, but the turn of the tables is quite dramatic. What happened? Did Tibopino get overtaken by mutants? Look at the final GC, some usual suspects in there.

Quintana joined Banesto, different team name, same methods...Quintana??? should be Quintana :mad: .

Interesting, so you think Pinot started on a full program earlier than some of his other rivals? I guess that could explain why his progress stalled a bit.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

02 Jun 2017 19:13

Tonton wrote:FWIW, I posted the final GC of the '09 Giro Della Valle d'Aosta in the Thibaut Pinot thread. All I wanted was a picture, then with some digging to find out about the field, things got interesting to me. Pinot won the overall, beat Aru and Quintana by almost one hour in six stages. I admit that I'm biased towards Pinot, but the turn of the tables is quite dramatic. What happened? Did Tibopino get overtaken by mutants? Look at the final GC, some usual suspects in there.

Quintana was already very good before he joined Movistar.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

02 Jun 2017 19:40

Hey, I went to their website and looked up for archives 2009 and the first thing I see is this photo:

I am sure they did it on purpose.

He-he. the GC on that year had Cayetano Sarmiento on 4th place and Betancur on 18th. Surely Betancur is a huge talent. I noticed that something weird happened to Quintana on Stage 2 because he almost came driving the bus. After that he got better. :)
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

03 Jun 2017 06:38

Escarabajo wrote:Hey, I went to their website and looked up for archives 2009 and the first thing I see is this photo:

I am sure they did it on purpose.

He-he. the GC on that year had Cayetano Sarmiento on 4th place and Betancur on 18th. Surely Betancur is a huge talent. I noticed that something weird happened to Quintana on Stage 2 because he almost came driving the bus. After that he got better. :)

Not sure what the point is in including Sarmiento who is two and a half years older than Betancur.

And no, Quintana was not very good pre-Movistar. Apart from going mutant in the 2010 Avenir he was very average in Nations Cup races or most amateur races with mountains like Aosta and Circuito Montanes
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

03 Jun 2017 09:43

Saying Quintana wasn't very good apart from 2010 Avenir, is a bit like saying Armstrong wasn't very good apart from his Tour de France wins. Quintana destroyed the field on consecutive mountain stages in the biggest race he could compete in as a 20 year old. An Avenir which had one of the strongest and deepest climbing fields there has ever been (Bardet, Landa, Reichenbach, Kelderman, Talansky, Pantano, Dumoulin, Matthews, Kwiatkowski, Izagirre, Atapuma etc....) Of course results for a 20-21 year old are going to be inconsistent as they make the transition into the senior peloton. But if that doesn't show sky-high potential, I'm not sure what does.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re: Re:

03 Jun 2017 10:16

7th in a climbing UCI cat 1 race against the spanish pro continental teams at 19yo

Mountains jersey winner in a mountainous world tour race

Dominant Avenir winner

"not very good"
User avatar GuyIncognito

03 Jun 2017 11:57

DFA123 wrote:

Interesting, so you think Pinot started on a full program earlier than some of his other rivals? I guess that could explain why his progress stalled a bit.

That could be a way to look at it. It seems unlikely to me though. It would be the first time that French teams or riders do something first :D . Ask JV: in '09 they were probably training like in the '20s, including welding classes and all :D .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

04 Jun 2017 11:19

Tonton wrote:
DFA123 wrote:

That could be a way to look at it. It seems unlikely to me though. It would be the first time that French teams or riders do something first :D . Ask JV: in '09 they were probably training like in the '20s, including welding classes and all :D .

Haha yes, JV probably has images of Pinot out training carrying a spare tyre around his shoulders and stopping every few minutes to turn his wheel round to access his 2nd gear. :D

Of course, I was being slightly disingenous about Pinot being on a full program earlier than the others. It seems the more unlikely scenario given what we know about the history of the teams. The problem is with all the smoke and mirrors environment that doping creates - there's always more than one way to look at any specfic performance - and it's hard to be very confident either way.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

06 Jun 2017 06:21

Quintana was a huge talent already before becoming pro so yeah that was a pretty nonsensical statement by Tonton
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

30 Jul 2017 15:13

Excellent impersonation of a clean cyclist in the Tour de France - well done!
DanielSong39

31 Jul 2017 08:44

Quintana has repeatedly criticized the Colombian cycling federation for lack of doping controls and whatnot. Not that it means a thing regarding to his own practices now, but as he seems not very well liked among the administrators in Colombia they could probably dig something up if something had been going on before.
User avatar el chava

Previous

Return to The Clinic