Register

Quintana??

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

06 Feb 2017 10:03

Quintana in good form early on in the season.
Made me think about this one from Movistar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz5uqE4RVjc

"Hide it, so that nobody sees it", one mechanic says to the other who picks up the bike and sneaks away with it.

Good to know that Cookson's got it all under control.
sniper
Veteran

06 Feb 2017 11:28

Yes, everyone who does well must be either doping, motordoping or both. And anyone who regularly beat them must be as well. And anyone who is pretty close in terms of performance level, and those who are close to them, and those who are close to them.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

06 Feb 2017 18:31

Hey Sniper, at least you keep watching cycling!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

06 Feb 2017 18:37

Valv.Piti wrote:Yes, everyone who does well must be either doping, motordoping or both. And anyone who regularly beat them must be as well. And anyone who is pretty close in terms of performance level, and those who are close to them, and those who are close to them.

Last time i looked the testing was a joke, UCI still a joke, teams still run by ex dopers and ex enabling dopers, teams still full of people who have a culture to dope and cheat.

With all that in mind yep, riders are either doping, motordoping or both.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

06 Feb 2017 20:32

None of which warrants topping a thread to re-post an old video that has no relevance to current events.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

06 Feb 2017 21:17

Quintana thread, Quintana vid.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

06 Feb 2017 22:09

It's not a Quintana vid.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

06 Feb 2017 23:13

Escarabajo wrote:Hey Sniper, at least you keep watching cycling!

:D
sniper
Veteran

Re:

06 Feb 2017 23:14

hrotha wrote:None of which warrants topping a thread to re-post an old video that has no relevance to current events.

perhaps certain current events have slipped past you?
sniper
Veteran

07 Feb 2017 02:11

Look, the reality is it's not so much about the doping, it's who people like or dislike. Because they are all doing something. Just like all the Lance haters, as if him cheating took wins away from all the true, clean riders like Jan Ullrich! All the posters who defend Froome must be British, or fanboys, or both, because if he's clean, they have to defend every other rider, because if a pure climber like Quintana is doping, there should be NO WAY Froome could possibly out-climb him. Admittedly, I dislike Froome more than most other current doped up riders, so I hope the doped up Quintana can give him a challenge this year.
mike75

Re:

07 Feb 2017 03:55

mike75 wrote:Look, the reality is it's not so much about the doping, it's who people like or dislike. Because they are all doing something. Just like all the Lance haters, as if him cheating took wins away from all the true, clean riders like Jan Ullrich! All the posters who defend Froome must be British, or fanboys, or both, because if he's clean, they have to defend every other rider, because if a pure climber like Quintana is doping, there should be NO WAY Froome could possibly out-climb him. Admittedly, I dislike Froome more than most other current doped up riders, so I hope the doped up Quintana can give him a challenge this year.

Pretty much, the one exception being motor doping that would probably affect even the most hardened homer.
jahn

Re:

07 Feb 2017 07:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Yes, everyone who does well must be either doping, motordoping or both. And anyone who regularly beat them must be as well. And anyone who is pretty close in terms of performance level, and those who are close to them, and those who are close to them.

I hope this isn't an attempt at sarcasm.
.because the above pretty accurately captures recent cycling history.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

07 Feb 2017 15:21

hrotha wrote:It's not a Quintana vid.

Quintana was in the race and it is his team Movistar in the video, to get pedantic....... ;)
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

16 Mar 2017 12:36

Read this and you'll feel like you stepped into a time machine and went back to the birth of Team Sky
The data push is being led by Luca, a Telefónica unit that helps companies find ways to profit from data they collect in the normal course of business. Telefónica’s chief data officer, Chema Alonso, a big cycling fan, and members of Luca decided to try using data to give the team an edge—and give Movistar a publicity boost by highlighting its doping-free reputation in a sport tarnished by the cheating of Lance Armstrong and dozens of others.

It’s not easy to bring everyone around to the idea that data can make a difference. Eusebio Unzué, the team’s manager for 32 years, says he’s better off following his gut when it comes to advising his riders, a strategy that’s helped him build Movistar into the world’s top-ranked team for the last four years. “In this sport, whoever has the best legs wins the race,” he says. De Alarcón says Unzué’s resistance is similar to what he encounters at companies where veteran managers trust their instincts more than technology, but he predicts even old-timers such as Unzué will eventually conclude that it’s never bad to have more information even if you rely on years of experience. Unzué grudgingly agrees. “Technology is more and more important and improving in certain aspects of preparation,” he says.
Link
User avatar fmk_RoI

16 Mar 2017 21:00

Not sure if it has any relation to the crab Sky was selling. But Ok.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2017 21:42

Escarabajo wrote:Not sure if it has any relation to the crab Sky was selling. But Ok.
Yep. This is something completely different but every bit as funny. It looks like the CDO and head of marketing at Movistar is a big data geek and cycling fan who has decided to build up a fun little side project (I'm guessing as a treat for his team and as an excuse to play around a bit). It's obviously annoying the heck out of Unzue. But, the data is already there, and Eusebio knows where his bread gets buttered, so he'll ignore it as politely as he can (which is to say, glorious amounts of side-eye).
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

16 Mar 2017 22:13

Sounds like the movie - Moneyball
Tim B

Re:

18 Mar 2017 20:33

Tim B wrote:Sounds like the movie - Moneyball

Chema Alonso: Eusebio, you got a minute?
Eusebio: Yeah. Take a seat.
Chema Alonso: You can't start Nairo in the Tour. You'll have to start Bennati.
Eusebio: Yeah, I don't want to go fifteen rounds, Chema. The lineup card is mine, and that's all.
Chema Alonso: That lineup card is definitely yours. I'm just saying you can't start Nairo in the Tour.
Eusebio: Well, I am starting him in the Tour.
Chema Alonso: I don't think so. He rides for HP BTP–Auber93 now.
User avatar BYOP88

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2017 15:42

BYOP88 wrote:
Tim B wrote:Sounds like the movie - Moneyball

Chema Alonso: Eusebio, you got a minute?
Eusebio: Yeah. Take a seat.
Chema Alonso: You can't start Nairo in the Tour. You'll have to start Bennati.
Eusebio: Yeah, I don't want to go fifteen rounds, Chema. The lineup card is mine, and that's all.
Chema Alonso: That lineup card is definitely yours. I'm just saying you can't start Nairo in the Tour.
Eusebio: Well, I am starting him in the Tour.
Chema Alonso: I don't think so. He rides for HP BTP–Auber93 now.
Chapeau.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Previous

Return to The Clinic