Register

Dr Mario Zorzoli

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

17 Mar 2018 08:35

He backdated TUE for Armstrong, signed off all faked intra-articular Corticosteroids injuries for all team doctors, so hardly a Leinders connection. I would say all teams were hiding Corticosteroid use under intra-articular TUE applications to Zorzoli as Zorzoli could not refuse an application if it was based on injury. To refuse it, he would be denying that athlete medical treatment, which is against medical rules, so being coorrupt is not the whole picture. I would argue it wasn't up to Zorzoli to investigate every riders injury personally anyway, it's simply not practical. It was up to the riders and teams to be truthful in not injecting intra-muscularly and not faking injury in the first place!

The Corticosteroid situation didn't become easier with Zorzoli either, it just switched to being controlled by UCI doctors instead of the Federations and Olympic Committees doctors when UCI joined WADA. Anyone would get a TUE intra-articular injury treatment before WADA too. Even today, any athlete will be granted a TUE for corticosteroids for intra-articular because there's negligible performance enhancement from that route of administration. We see it all the time in Tennis which is WADA where elbows are injected with steroids at the start of a game perfectly legally under TUE even live on TV sometimes lol!
samhocking

Re:

19 Mar 2018 00:47

samhocking wrote:He backdated TUE for Armstrong, signed off all faked intra-articular Corticosteroids injuries for all team doctors, so hardly a Leinders connection. I would say all teams were hiding Corticosteroid use under intra-articular TUE applications to Zorzoli as Zorzoli could not refuse an application if it was based on injury. To refuse it, he would be denying that athlete medical treatment, which is against medical rules, so being coorrupt is not the whole picture. I would argue it wasn't up to Zorzoli to investigate every riders injury personally anyway, it's simply not practical. It was up to the riders and teams to be truthful in not injecting intra-muscularly and not faking injury in the first place!

The Corticosteroid situation didn't become easier with Zorzoli either, it just switched to being controlled by UCI doctors instead of the Federations and Olympic Committees doctors when UCI joined WADA. Anyone would get a TUE intra-articular injury treatment before WADA too. Even today, any athlete will be granted a TUE for corticosteroids for intra-articular because there's negligible performance enhancement from that route of administration. We see it all the time in Tennis which is WADA where elbows are injected with steroids at the start of a game perfectly legally under TUE even live on TV sometimes lol!

Wait what? Armstrong barely tested postive, he had trace amounts in his system, next to nothing. He only needed the backdated TUE due to the media pressure from 1998. It was no Wiggins 40mg job smack bang before the Tour. You really do have a way at changing the past to fit your Sky is blue view of the world.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

19 Mar 2018 08:13

samhocking wrote:He backdated TUE for Armstrong, signed off all faked intra-articular Corticosteroids injuries for all team doctors, so hardly a Leinders connection. I would say all teams were hiding Corticosteroid use under intra-articular TUE applications to Zorzoli as Zorzoli could not refuse an application if it was based on injury. To refuse it, he would be denying that athlete medical treatment, which is against medical rules, so being coorrupt is not the whole picture. I would argue it wasn't up to Zorzoli to investigate every riders injury personally anyway, it's simply not practical. It was up to the riders and teams to be truthful in not injecting intra-muscularly and not faking injury in the first place!

quite Sam, quite..............

it was for Pooley, eh...the bus wasn't there...eh...fancy a juicier story?....oh, ok then, let's looks at the records...oh...guess what, the laptop was stolen...the back up files? oh the doc didn't know how to back up files....speak to the doc?...sorry, he's off with stress...

you mean that sort of truthful? ;)
gillan1969

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2018 11:17

thehog wrote:

Wait what? Armstrong barely tested postive, he had trace amounts in his system, next to nothing. He only needed the backdated TUE due to the media pressure from 1998. It was no Wiggins 40mg job smack bang before the Tour. You really do have a way at changing the past to fit your Sky is blue view of the world.

The point is, all teams were hiding under intra-articular corticosteroids for injury because back in Leinders day you didn't even need a TUE, simply a covering letter by your team doctor to UCI race doctor to treat your injury intra-articularly with corticosteroids, so when you AAFd it was explained. If for example Armstrongs 4 positives for Corticosteroids in 1998 your team doctor didn't do that, you could still get away with what was essentially a back-dated cover letter. The point is Wiggins did none of the that so i'm not changing history, simply pointing out Wiggins TUE is not like anything Leinders was involved in, Armstrong was involved in or Zorzoli was involved in.

Wiggins TUE is simply one of either believing Simon Hargreaves 2011 report to UCI or it isn't. Without that report I believe it is real and exists and why Fancy Bears chose not to leak it along with the other 8 documents referred to in his TUEs.
samhocking

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2018 17:49

samhocking wrote:
thehog wrote:

The point is, all teams were hiding under intra-articular corticosteroids for injury because back in Leinders day you didn't even need a TUE, simply a covering letter by your team doctor to UCI race doctor to treat your injury intra-articularly with corticosteroids, so when you AAFd it was explained. If for example Armstrongs 4 positives for Corticosteroids in 1998 your team doctor didn't do that, you could still get away with what was essentially a back-dated cover letter. The point is Wiggins did none of the that so i'm not changing history, simply pointing out Wiggins TUE is not like anything Leinders was involved in, Armstrong was involved in or Zorzoli was involved in.

Wiggins TUE is simply one of either believing Simon Hargreaves 2011 report to UCI or it isn't. Without that report I believe it is real and exists and why Fancy Bears chose not to leak it along with the other 8 documents referred to in his TUEs.

Ain't that a beautiful thing, to believe what you want to believe :D
User avatar Blanco

Previous

Return to The Clinic