Register

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2017 15:19

Irondan wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
sniper wrote:Vaughters will back Cookson for the same reason Sky and many other teams will: protection and cover up.
Of course, who Vaughters wants as prez, who Sky want as prez, that's actually pretty irrelevant: they don't get to vote. And if today's l'Équipe is right about British Cycling rowing in behind Lappartient, then Sky can't even control the votes local to them...

Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...

Neither did McQuaid.

But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?

UCI presidents look at UCI as a stepping stone to IOC riches.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 15:25

Benotti69 wrote:UCI presidents look at UCI as a stepping stone to IOC riches.
Last I heard McQuaid was busking on Grafton Street.
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 15:27

Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
It seems to me that some people at BC realize they better start distancing themselves from Cookson if they want to keep their jobs.
sniper
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 15:29

fmk_RoI wrote:

Last I heard McQuaid was going round the Phoenix Park collecting rental bikes.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 15:30

fmk_RoI wrote:Last I heard McQuaid was busking on Grafton Street.
Huh. Last I heard his kid was doing alright for himself.
Irondan wrote:Cookson doesn't even have the support of his own federation?

That's saying a lot if you ask me...
What I've read is that they like Dave and don't want to fund Brian's campaign, but not that they'll disavow him altogether.

Anyway if HWMNBN and Gellert Grindelwald are taking shots at him he can't be all that bad.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Re:

21 Jun 2017 15:40

sniper wrote:Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
Facts, they do keep getting in the way of a good story, the silly little things...
Culture Media Sport
CommonsCMS

The new Committee has not been established yet following the election & we don’t yet know when it will be set up. We will post details ASAP.

11:55 am - 21 Jun 2017
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 15:42

carton wrote:What I've read is that they like Dave and don't want to fund Brian's campaign, but not that they'll disavow him altogether.
Where'd you hear that? Cause it's UK Sport - not British Cycling - has publicly said they wouldn't fund Cookson's campaign, though they would be supporting him.
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 15:46

Benotti69 wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

Last I heard McQuaid was going round the Phoenix Park collecting rental bikes.
I'll see you and raise you: last I heard McQuaid was interviewing for a job as a lock hard man in the Phoenix Park to stop the cars parking in the bike lane.
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 15:55

fmk_RoI wrote:
sniper wrote:Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
Facts, they do keep getting in the way of a good story, the silly little things...
Culture Media Sport
CommonsCMS

The new Committee has not been established yet following the election & we don’t yet know when it will be set up. We will post details ASAP.

Thanks for the fact checking. Team work.
sniper
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 15:57

The intriguing thing about McQuaid and Cookson is that, whilst they can drink each others blood, they also have a couple of neatly overlapping interests and shared contacts related to procycling in general and Team Sky in particular. Uncle Brian is buddies with Wiggo's father in law and danced at Wiggo's wedding. But it was Phat McQuaid who was getting wasted at Wiggo's hour-record after party.
Last edited by sniper on 21 Jun 2017 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
sniper
Veteran

21 Jun 2017 15:57

sniper wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
Culture Media Sport
CommonsCMS

Thanks for the fact checking. Team work.
Just think how simpler life would be for everyone if you yourself actually checked whether the things you say were true before you said them. But you don't really care about facts, do you?
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 16:13

Benotti69 wrote:But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated.
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 Jun 2017 22:36

deleted - see updated post
Last edited by Robert5091 on 22 Jun 2017 10:32, edited 2 times in total.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

21 Jun 2017 22:50

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

- Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
- Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
- Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)

How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes.

So if we assume UEC gives it's 15 votes to it's President David Lappartient, then it's all up to the other Confederations.
Last edited by Robert5091 on 22 Jun 2017 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

22 Jun 2017 03:13

sniper wrote:The intriguing thing about McQuaid and Cookson is that, whilst they can drink each others blood, they also have a couple of neatly overlapping interests and shared contacts related to procycling in general and Team Sky in particular. Uncle Brian is buddies with Wiggo's father in law and danced at Wiggo's wedding. But it was Phat McQuaid who was getting wasted at Wiggo's hour-record after party.

It's a small sport full of odd personalities.

To this day, I don't know how much the President interacts with the management committee, but, Cookson was on the management committee for years under Mcquaid.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

Re:

22 Jun 2017 09:15

Robert5091 wrote:"Constitution changed. Incumbent automatically nominated."
Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms. "The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."
Try reading the question that was asked before trying to be Wiki. And, please, quoting back at me words I wrote? That's lacking in imagination.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

22 Jun 2017 09:17

Robert5091 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

- Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
- Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
- Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
- Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)

How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes.

So if we assume UEC gives it's 15 votes to it's President David Lappartient, then it's all up to the other Confederations.
If only there was some grammatical or technical way to distinguish quoted text...
User avatar fmk_RoI

22 Jun 2017 10:29

fmk_RoI wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:But if Cookson has not got the support of BC, who is proposing him?
Candidates shall be nominated by their national federation (based on nationality or residence). The incumbent President seeking a re-election shall not require any nomination.
(link)

Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/making-of-a-president-how-does-the-uci-presidential-election-work/
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."

(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )
User avatar Robert5091

22 Jun 2017 10:41

Robert5091 wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
(link)

Unless the incumbent has used up all the terms.
"The president is limited to a maximum of three terms but with an option on a fourth term should Congress so choose."

(I was posting in a hurry and trying not to fill up the thread with a load of quotes. Hope it's easier to read now. :) )
I'll get you a step ladder, what was said has clearly gone way over your head...
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

22 Jun 2017 11:16

This now deleted tweet is a little funny, Cookie doesn't appear to like criticism, either on this forum or on Twitter.

Rumor has it, the UCI are DM'ing people telling them to "cease or else".

User avatar thehog
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic