Register

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

22 Jun 2017 11:30

thehog wrote:Rumor has it, the UCI are DM'ing people telling them to "cease or else".
There was an element of that last time round. And dangling offers of interviews too, as I recall.
User avatar fmk_RoI

22 Jun 2017 12:32

fmk_RoI wrote:
thehog wrote:Rumor has it, the UCI are DM'ing people telling them to "cease or else".
There was an element of that last time round. And dangling offers of interviews too, as I recall.

Shane Stokes took the bait....
User avatar thehog
Veteran

22 Jun 2017 12:45

thehog wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

Shane Stokes took the bait....
Ah, Pravda. Such integrity...
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

23 Jun 2017 18:34

sniper wrote:Collins is back as chair of the CMS committee and has made some clear statements recently.
It seems to me that some people at BC realize they better start distancing themselves from Cookson if they want to keep their jobs.

Why should anyone believe a word out of Cookson's mouth? The entire nonsense with Nibali and his team, and allowing them a license to race, after what was it 8 riders on his own team getting caught for doping, should be enough evidence that Cookson is a fraud, a scam, and completely FOS. His credibility has been shot, I don't know how he's still in power. Then again, I didn't understand how McQuack was still in power for so long, even after all the stuff came out of his involvement with cover ups for Wonderboy.
User avatar 86TDFWinner

26 Jun 2017 11:53

Anyone seen this?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/cookson-defends-biological-passport-reveals-existence-two-ongoing-cases/

Cookson says they've got two biological passport cases in the "tribunal" going on right now. He won't release any names or further information, and seems to be more inclined in defending the lack of ABP sanctions as evidence of a clean sport (yeah, sure...the ABP creating a clean sport?, lol, he needs to read the WADA McLaren report). Interestingly, in checking the cycling BP sanction data base, the last two riders banned were Menchov & JTL in 2014.
Nomad

26 Jun 2017 18:44

Since it is normal for passport cases to require the rider be suspended and since no one appears to be sitting on the naughty step at the moment, should we assume that these two cases involve retired riders?
User avatar fmk_RoI

26 Jun 2017 21:04

Wouldn't Cookson have alluded to that? He seems to imply that it's two current riders under investigation (i.e., "Tribunal?"). Do they always suspend a rider when there's an active ABP case? I'm more familiar with athletics where the athlete usually isn't suspended from competition pursuant to an ongoing passport investigation by WADA. When the IAAF announces the investigation/sanction recommendation then the athlete is immediately suspended pending the CAS hearing that the athlete always requests.
Nomad

27 Jun 2017 09:36

Look for 'sick' and/or 'injured' riders.

But Cookson might as well be sucking these stories out of his right thumb. It's good PR and who's holding him to account anyway.
sniper
Veteran

Re:

27 Jun 2017 13:26

sniper wrote:Look for 'sick' and/or 'injured' riders.

But Cookson might as well be sucking these stories out of his right thumb. It's good PR and who's holding him to account anyway.

Marianne Vos is having a quiet year by her standards!!!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

27 Jun 2017 16:28

Benotti69 wrote:

Yes, after the seasons that she had where she dominated every race she entered compared to the way she rides now is a little suspicious.

Did Cookson call her up and warn her?

Who knows, but we could speculate all day long about her case.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

27 Jun 2017 17:12

Irondan wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

Yes, after the seasons that she had where she dominated every race she entered compared to the way she rides now is a little suspicious.

Did Cookson call her up and warn her?

Who knows, but we could speculate all day long about her case.

Vos is a good shout, in which case we'll never find out because they'll bury it or deal with it through a silent ban.
Wout Poels also springs to mind. But I don't see UCI going after a Sky rider either.
Cookson simply bluffing is another possibility.
sniper
Veteran

27 Jun 2017 17:59

Irondan wrote:Did Cookson call her up and warn her?
"Hello, Marianne, yes, Brian here. ... Brian who? Brian Cookson! ... Yes, the head of the UCI! Look, I'm afraid I've got some awfully bad news for you, we need you to break a bone for us, something that'll lay you up a while. ... Yes, yes, yes, I know, again. But, soz, that's just the way it is."
User avatar fmk_RoI

27 Jun 2017 18:33

fmk_RoI wrote:
Irondan wrote:Did Cookson call her up and warn her?
"Hello, Marianne, yes, Brian here. ... Brian who? Brian Cookson! ... Yes, the head of the UCI! Look, I'm afraid I've got some awfully bad news for you, we need you to break a bone for us, something that'll lay you up a while. ... Yes, yes, yes, I know, again. But, soz, that's just the way it is."

Sounds legit... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

27 Jun 2017 19:58

....was it not 'overtraining' ........that forced marianne to take almost a whole season out?

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

27 Jun 2017 21:30

Was Cardoso one of the suspect riders?
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

27 Jun 2017 22:03

Robert5091 wrote:Was Cardoso one of the suspect riders?

I think that's a possibility. I don't see why if they're investigating his ABP for anomalies that he wouldn't also be target tested?
Nomad

29 Jun 2017 10:51

Seems like the UCI Presidential race is sinking fast it's tone - fighting it out in the media now. How long before we reach Godwin's Law level? :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brian-cookson-i-dont-want-lance-armstrongs-endorsement/
Incumbent UCI President Brian Cookson has told Cyclingnews he is happy that Lance Armstrong has turned against him on social media, considering it a positive endorsement of the work he has done during his first term to fight the problems of doping and to drag the sport from the “dark old days” when Hein Verbruggen and, later, Pat McQuaid were UCI President and Armstrong was at the height of his powers.

Lappartient has criticised Cookson for a lack of backbone, using it against him. In Wednesday’s L’Equipe, in side by side interviews, Lappartient suggested that it was UCI Director General Martin Gibbs who controlled the UCI, rather Cookson, while suggesting he has far more authority and leadership ability.

Cookson hit back by saying that running the UCI and its 30 million Euro budget is not like being the mayor of a ‘small Breton village’. Lappartient mixed a role in local politics and the presidency of the French Cycling Federation before becoming UCI vice-president, the president of the UCI’s Professional Cycling Council and president of the European Cycling Union (UEC).
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

29 Jun 2017 11:13

Cookson has been more active in the media in the last 2 weeks than he has in the previous 2 years. He is clearly desperate to cling to power.

Saying as he is so busy giving media briefings now, the next time he speaks I'd like if he could confirm if he has updated his method of checking for motors at the tour or whether he intends to ignore police advice again this year.
ontheroad

Re:

29 Jun 2017 11:22

Robert5091 wrote:Seems like the UCI Presidential race is sinking fast it's tone - fighting it out in the media now. How long before we reach Godwin's Law level? :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brian-cookson-i-dont-want-lance-armstrongs-endorsement/
Incumbent UCI President Brian Cookson has told Cyclingnews he is happy that Lance Armstrong has turned against him on social media, considering it a positive endorsement of the work he has done during his first term to fight the problems of doping and to drag the sport from the “dark old days” when Hein Verbruggen and, later, Pat McQuaid were UCI President and Armstrong was at the height of his powers.

Lappartient has criticised Cookson for a lack of backbone, using it against him. In Wednesday’s L’Equipe, in side by side interviews, Lappartient suggested that it was UCI Director General Martin Gibbs who controlled the UCI, rather Cookson, while suggesting he has far more authority and leadership ability.

Cookson hit back by saying that running the UCI and its 30 million Euro budget is not like being the mayor of a ‘small Breton village’. Lappartient mixed a role in local politics and the presidency of the French Cycling Federation before becoming UCI vice-president, the president of the UCI’s Professional Cycling Council and president of the European Cycling Union (UEC).

Of course it was Gibbs, he's the brains behind Cookson, late Verbruggen mentioned that also...
User avatar Blanco

Re:

29 Jun 2017 11:30

ontheroad wrote:Cookson has been more active in the media in the last 2 weeks than he has in the previous 2 years. He is clearly desperate to cling to power.

There is a shitload at stake for Cookson and 'friends'. It's not just about the presidency. It's about Cookson's past. His son's future. Covering up Team Sky's and BC's cheating throughout the past two decades.

Saying as he is so busy giving media briefings now, the next time he speaks I'd like if he could confirm if he has updated his method of checking for motors at the tour or whether he intends to ignore police advice again this year.
That's one of many issues.

But people who say it's all Martin Gibbs are wrong.
Sure, Gibbs seems to be pulling a lot of strings. But Cookson has been very actively involved himself in a lot of dodgy business, and there's no need to cut him slack by saying he's just Gibbs' muppet.

For instance, all the dodgy dealings with MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data is Cookson's work.
This includes:
- the appointment of a certain JP Van Zyl, a convicted doper with close connections to Dimension Data, as head of UCI's South African WCC;
- the appointment of son Oliver as a DS at Dimension Data;
- ensuring Dimension Data's world tour license for 2016&17

I wrote about the appointment of Van Zyl here:
viewtopic.php?p=1956321#p1956321

Gasping conflicts of interest with a large teaspoon of nepotism.
Plenty of scope for brown envelopes, cover-ups and cheating.
Not pretty.
sniper
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic