Register

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

27 Jul 2017 18:04

sniper wrote:when Beech_mtn says "some", fmk is "expecting replies in the treble digits". Makes sense.
Given your native tongue is hyperbolics sniper I don't expect you to be able to understand some things.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Re:

28 Jul 2017 16:32

sniper wrote:
thehog wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:The Old Guard are not amused ... and still fuming about losing. Gibbs was at UCI between 2007-2009 so I assume something happened then.

Gibs was a basic empoyeee on 2007, he then went and joined a British Cycling for the Cookson reign. Cookson brought him back to basically run the show whilst he travelled the world taking selfies.

Gibs was not elected but runs the UCI for Sky and Brian.

Honest question: what is it why everyone believes Gibbs is pulling the strings? I've heard this repeated by different sources often enough, but I can't figure out where/when/how this consensus has its origins.

From June 2015 -
https://www.supersport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/news/150619/TdF_could_withdraw_from_UCI_calendar
The management committee has also been pushing for UCI president Brian Cookson to get rid of director general Martin Gibbs, who has been heavily criticised within the organisation, sources told Reuters.

More than 30 UCI collaborators have been sacked or have left since Cookson took over from Pat McQuaid in 2013.

Seems like Gibbs has been rubbing people the wrong way for a while.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

28 Jul 2017 16:35

cheers Rob, good find.
sniper
Veteran

28 Jul 2017 16:46

The purge of the Ethics Committee seems not to have gone down well - from July 2014

https://www.supersport.com/cycling/international/news/140715/UCI_boss_Cookson_under_fire_again
Shortly after Cookson was elected UCI president in Florence during a spectacular congress - - the Ethics Commission, the guardian of the ethical principles of the UCI's Code of Ethics, was subject to a major overhaul.

Dutchman Peter Zevenbergen, who brought up claims against Russian Igor Makarov, one of the biggest supporters of Cookson in his election campaign, was asked to leave his job, he claims.

"It is quite simple: the new management committee did not accept my criticism," Zevenbergen told Reuters on Tuesday.

Article 14 of the Code of Ethics of the UCI state that the members of the Ethics Commission "shall be irremovable", unless they die or resign.

"I think those who were in the congress meeting last year would have been disappointed with the performance of the Ethics Committee as it was represented, Cookson told reporters on Tuesday.

"I think that it was quite clear that we had to change. We have got a new ethics commission now, all the members of the commission have been renewed. People we have are of the highest quality."

Zevenbergen said that he received a visit from Martin Gibbs, the UCI director general, in late December, 2013, as the Ethics Commission was investigating claims that Russian federation president Makarov had promised one million euros ($1.36 million)to the Union Europenne de Cyclisme (UEC) in exchange for a Cookson vote.

"Martin Gibbs came to Amsterdam to discuss this with me on the 27th of December. I would not say he asked me to resign, there was some pressure, he said he did not want to continue with me.

"He said if I stayed, it (the Ethics Commission president job) would be an empty function.

"As a consequence Peter Barth from Germany resigned from the commission."

Sources told Reuters that Barth, who left his job in April, felt the independence of the Ethics Commission could not be guaranteed anymore.
User avatar Robert5091

28 Jul 2017 16:47

Is McQuaid actually trying to drum up support for Cookson? Why else is he saying these things to the press? I don't get it.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

28 Jul 2017 16:56

Interesting Rob. I do remember that one.
Major red flag for Cookson and Gibbs.
Par for the course for these guys.
sniper
Veteran

28 Jul 2017 17:49

Cookson says Moscon will face no disciplinary actions over racist slur. TeamSky 6 week 'no ban' was enough!!!!

What a effing joke!

Jeez, when you thought the UCI could not scrape the bottom of the barrel any further after McQuaid, a long comes Cookson.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

28 Jul 2017 20:50

A "climate of fear" at UCI, a "culture of fear" at British Cycling - consistant if nothing else! :)

So why did Makarov (who supported the candidacy of Brian Cookson) not want to talk to UCI's CIRC investigation? :confused:
User avatar Robert5091

28 Jul 2017 22:55

Lol, apart from campaigning/cheerleading -Cookson been basically hiding under a rock for over a year. Then chooses to stick his head out on an issue like this? Great leadership!
User avatar mrhender

Re: Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

02 Aug 2017 19:44

BullsFan22 wrote:http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1053485/cookson-claims-has-substantial-support-in-uci-president-re-election-bid

Arms are being twisted, favours called in and promises made.
User avatar Robert5091

02 Aug 2017 20:47

I suspect that UKAD will try and prolong the results of their long running investigation into British cycling until after the presidential election for fear of more negative publicity for Cookson. He has had plenty of negative public criticism but very little in the way of public support to date.
ontheroad

08 Aug 2017 19:21

Problems I identify in professional cycling organs and general ruling laws of teams and races:
1. unconsideration of cyclists and fans aspirations keeping the sport hostage of an undiversified and unrepresenting electoral college.
2. recurring safety faults of race organizers
either on route choices, apparently unprapered vehicle drivers or poor safety equipments. Just this year it had significant impact on WT race results, not even speaking of the obvious consequences
3. unensured aid in cases of severe injuries with time of recovery exceeding the end of the contract.
4. lack of competitiveness. Restricting hirings based on UCI points instead of creating budget limits or salary limits would neither discourege financial investiments nor harm cyclists income.
5. allowing teams to have staff members with multiple doping convictions, increasing suspicion on today cycling.
jfazendeiro

Re:

09 Aug 2017 22:12

ontheroad wrote:I suspect that UKAD will try and prolong the results of their long running investigation into British cycling until after the presidential election for fear of more negative publicity for Cookson. He has had plenty of negative public criticism but very little in the way of public support to date.

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.
User avatar Robert5091

09 Aug 2017 23:44

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.[/quote]

Team sky workouts recorded information could be the other step, never the less I'm in the dark about an AD agency to take compulsive actions.
jfazendeiro

10 Aug 2017 00:34

Robert5091 wrote:
ontheroad wrote:I suspect that UKAD will try and prolong the results of their long running investigation into British cycling until after the presidential election for fear of more negative publicity for Cookson. He has had plenty of negative public criticism but very little in the way of public support to date.

Has anyone publicly come out in support for Cookson? Unless someone talks, I would not hold out much hope for UKAD's investigation.

Yes, Brian Cookson has come out in support of Brian Cookson. Many selfies for promotion.

The UKAD investigation will never complete we know that.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

10 Aug 2017 00:58

Robert5091 wrote:

Entirely not necessary since the public doesn't vote for President of the UCI.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

11 Aug 2017 22:57

Cookson meets with African Cycling Confederation delegates in Cairo to canvass for votes -
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1053889/cookson-visits-african-voting-delegates-in-cairo-in-bid-to-shore-up-support-for-re-election

https://www.briancookson.org/news/2017/8/9/my-commitment-to-africa-remains-resolute-says-cookson-after-presentation-to-african-cycling-confederation

African Cycling Confederation President Dr. Azzam said: “We welcome Brian Cookson and his team and we had a superb meeting with the nine African voting delegates and management team.

“Mr Cookson has had a great impact on cycling in Africa and he has gained our complete respect. His vision for the next four years fits with our ambitions to grow the sport on our continent and we know he has achieved a great deal so far.”

Edit - Cookson meet with USA Cycling President and CEO Derek Bouchard-Hall and other US cycling representatives on the USA Cycling Foundation’s annual trip to the Tour de France.in July -
https://www.briancookson.org/news/2017/7/20/uci-president-brian-cookson-meets-usa-cycling-to-discuss-cycling-development-in-united-states
User avatar Robert5091

14 Aug 2017 22:38

Robert5091 wrote:Cookson meets with African Cycling Confederation delegates in Cairo to canvass for votes -
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1053889/cookson-visits-african-voting-delegates-in-cairo-in-bid-to-shore-up-support-for-re-election

https://www.briancookson.org/news/2017/8/9/my-commitment-to-africa-remains-resolute-says-cookson-after-presentation-to-african-cycling-confederation

African Cycling Confederation President Dr. Azzam said: “We welcome Brian Cookson and his team and we had a superb meeting with the nine African voting delegates and management team.

“Mr Cookson has had a great impact on cycling in Africa and he has gained our complete respect. His vision for the next four years fits with our ambitions to grow the sport on our continent and we know he has achieved a great deal so far.”

Edit - Cookson meet with USA Cycling President and CEO Derek Bouchard-Hall and other US cycling representatives on the USA Cycling Foundation’s annual trip to the Tour de France.in July -
https://www.briancookson.org/news/2017/7/20/uci-president-brian-cookson-meets-usa-cycling-to-discuss-cycling-development-in-united-states

Good ole Brian, doing what he does best. Absolutely nothing whilst swanning around the world on the UCI expense account whoring votes.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

20 Aug 2017 17:25

https://www.briancookson.org/endorsements/
An almost "Trump" like webpage of loyalty pledges. "We are blessed to serve ... etc"
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic