Register

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

19 Dec 2014 12:46

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/brailsford-resets-team-skys-strategy-for-2015

Rather than talking about tweaking things it’s more of a belt and braces, blank sheet of paper, let’s start again way of thinking,” he enthusiastically tells Cyclingnews as he navigates through Palma airport on route to Monaco.

“And I’m thinking a lot about what 2020 looks like and what the best team in the world might look like then. It’s quite fun when you think about it like that and how a team might work in five years time in terms of structure and training. It’s about going to talk to a lot of guys from leading sports teams in America and the world and seeing what everyone is doing because there’s some fantastic stuff that’s going on out there that we could bring into our sport.”

so.. marginal gains no longer work? starting fresh with new marginal gains? :rolleyes:

The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice and as one Team Sky rider told Cyclingnews earlier this year, that approach and location was standard within a number of teams this season.

“It’s the same with training. We know that a lot of teams train like we do now so it’s up to go out and find better ways of training. It’s a lot of fun and it’s what it’s all about,” Brailsford says.
MC: I don’t think Chris fully understood that (Vinokourov) had doped.

CF: No, I knew.

MC: Not fully.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 13:09

the sceptic wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/brailsford-resets-team-skys-strategy-for-2015

so.. marginal gains no longer work? starting fresh with new marginal gains? :rolleyes:

Leading sports team in America? What? Baseball, NFL and WWF?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 13:17

ffs.

smh.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 13:55

What is it about Brailsford and Vaughters that they talk this BS!!!
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 14:41

Interesting that sky invented altitude training. I could swear I have heard of people doing that before sky, but what do I know.

It also seems quite odd that if everyone has copied marginal gains, how can sky still win?

doping + marginal gains should be better than just marginal gains?

User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 14:58

the sceptic wrote:It also seems quite odd that if everyone has copied marginal gains, how can sky still win?

To be fair, what did they win in 2014 on the same scale as 2011, 2012 and 13? Omloop, Romandie and Cali, TT WC, and a 2nd at Vuelta?

Comapred to two TDFs and their prep races, 2nd/4th/2nd+3rd at Vuelta, Cav's wins, Olympic Wins?

Marginal gains may be a joke, but the quote is true: they are no longer unique or an advantage.
More Strides than Rides

19 Dec 2014 15:18

More Strides than Rides wrote:To be fair, what did they win in 2014 on the same scale as 2011, 2012 and 13? Omloop, Romandie and Cali, TT WC, and a 2nd at Vuelta?

Comapred to two TDFs and their prep races, 2nd/4th/2nd+3rd at Vuelta, Cav's wins, Olympic Wins?

Marginal gains may be a joke, but the quote is true: they are no longer unique or an advantage.

If the plan is to have Porte and Dawg going FR again then they need to lay the groundwork for the story first.

You know, tell everyone how they ripped up the old plan back in December 2014 and started fresh. New ideas, new concepts, new training methods, training smarter then - BOOM! - Porte goes 7.0w/kg and Dawg attacks up mountains in the saddle at 250rpm.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 15:24

They need to bring back Leinders special high performance program
User avatar 70kmph

19 Dec 2014 15:26

the sceptic wrote:so.. marginal gains no longer work?

Marginal gains always work, by definition, otherwise they aren't gains.
Wallace and Gromit

19 Dec 2014 15:27

For me the most interesting words are: "The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice..."

This implies that training on Teide was enough in 2012 and 2013 but not 2014. However, they are not the words of DB or anyone at Sky, it is not a Sky quote.

DB is saying nothing new here, we trained better and were clean but other teams copied us and caught up. We weren't doped and (impliedly) neither are the other teams. Training explains it all. Same story.

However, I agree it looks like he might be laying the groundwork for all out performances this year. It's a little like the 'clean performances will soon exceed doped performances' but not as ridiculous.

Also a nice sidestep of the Astana issue, more Omerta and doesn't want to make life any more difficult for his good friend Brian.
bewildered

19 Dec 2014 15:33

bewildered wrote:
"The marginal gains formula has been replicated, repeated and improved upon. No longer will a training camp in Tenerife suffice..."

talking about Tenerife, seems like they were thinking about choosing another place to train.
there was a piece on CN a while ago about their new training hub in Nice, and about finding another place to train instead of Teide/Tenerife
pastronef

19 Dec 2014 15:45

the sceptic wrote:Interesting that sky invented altitude training. I could swear I have heard of people doing that before sky, but what do I know.

It also seems quite odd that if everyone has copied marginal gains, how can sky still win?

Tenerife is a magical place. It isn't the altitude, it's the Unicorns.
[SIZE="3"]Not sure I even care anymore...[/SIZE]
User avatar ChewbaccaD
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 15:46

pastronef wrote:talking about Tenerife, seems like they were thinking about choosing another place to train.
there was a piece on CN a while ago about their new training hub in Nice, and about finding another place to train instead of Teide/Tenerife

Short drive from Nice to Monoco. Some good Doctors around there I hear.

To be fair I think they were bought a house and everything in Nice. Tiede they only had a hotel.

Good to keep it "in house".
User avatar thehog
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 15:49

thehog wrote:Short drive from Nice to Monoco. Some good Doctors around there I hear.

To be fair I think they were bought a house and everything in Nice. Tiede they only had a hotel.

Good to keep it "in house".

ride, short ride, or a long one with an espresso in Dolceacqua ;)
pastronef

19 Dec 2014 16:07

He's always good for some management speak. Knows jack about bike racing though.

There's quite likely a correlation between his interference at team meetings and failures in on the road tactics.
bobbins

19 Dec 2014 16:07

thehog wrote:If the plan is to have Porte and Dawg going FR again then they need to lay the groundwork for the story first.

You know, tell everyone how they ripped up the old plan back in December 2014 and started fresh. New ideas, new concepts, new training methods, training smarter then - BOOM! - Porte goes 7.0w/kg and Dawg attacks up mountains in the saddle at 250rpm.

I fear sky will be back to full mutant next year with the help of uncle Cookson.

Soon we will start to hear stories about how Dawg and Richie are doing their best ever numbers in training.

And it's all because sky threw away the formula that made them good in the first place.

User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 16:10

Farcanal wrote:It must be awful for you not being able to count and do basic arithmetic

------- eh?
pastronef

19 Dec 2014 16:27

Dave Brailsford a genius my @rse.

more like bloody Golem from LOTR. Golem pigfukcing Daniel Radcliffe.

"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 16:31

Dear Wiggo wrote:ffs.

smh.

sounds legit

good grief
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

19 Dec 2014 17:01

the sceptic wrote:I fear sky will be back to full mutant next year with the help of uncle Cookson.

Soon we will start to hear stories about how Dawg and Richie are doing their best ever numbers in training.

And it's all because sky threw away the formula that made them good in the first place.

Yes, Brian appears well on board with the new plans.

The UCI coder has programmed:

"IF "TEAM" = "Sky" THEN OMIT from TEST_POSTIVE" into the passport database.

Along with an auto approve on TUEs :rolleyes:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Next

Return to The Clinic