Register

Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

26 May 2018 10:13

LoL, Holm is not impressed.

"When things go against him he disappears for months, then as soon they win he's standing there again."

(Paraphased.)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 Jul 2018 04:59

Awfully quiet from "The Great Man" of cycling ... busy cleaning the bus for the TdF?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

02 Jul 2018 18:27

Robert5091 wrote:Awfully quiet from "The Great Man" of cycling ... busy cleaning the bus for the TdF?

You missed the statement?

Brailsford wrote:“We have always had total confidence in Chris and his integrity. We knew that he had followed the right medical guidance in managing his asthma at the Vuelta and were sure that he would be exonerated in the end, which he has been. This is why we decided that it was right for Chris to continue racing, in line with UCI rules, while the process was ongoing. We are pleased that it has now been resolved.

“Chris’s elevated Salbutamol urine reading from Stage 18 of the Vuelta was treated as a ‘presumed’ Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) by the UCI and WADA, which triggered a requirement for us to provide further information. After a comprehensive review of that information, relevant data and scientific research, the UCI and WADA have concluded that there was, in fact, no AAF and that no rule has been broken.

“We said at the outset that there are complex medical and physiological issues which affect the metabolism and excretion of Salbutamol. The same individual can exhibit significant variations in test results taken over multiple days while using exactly the same amount of Salbutamol. This means that the level of Salbutamol in a single urine sample, alone, is not a reliable indicator of the amount inhaled. A review of all Chris’s 21 test results from the Vuelta revealed that the Stage 18 result was within his expected range of variation and therefore consistent with him having taken a permitted dose of Salbutamol.

“Chris has proved he is a great champion – not only on the bike but also by how he has conducted himself during this period. It has not been easy, but his professionalism, integrity and good grace under pressure have been exemplary and a credit to the sport.

“The greatest bike race in the world starts in five days. We can’t wait to get racing again and help Chris win it for a record-equalling fifth time.”

I think it sounds very Brailsford-like.
hazaran

Re: Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

02 Jul 2018 20:05

I’ll hand it to Brailsford he has managed to skip around the Henao passport issues, get Froome the same timr on Ventoux as Mollmer but raiding the judges caravan, weezled his way through the Wiggins issue by lying to parliament and now getting Froome off a positive test! and who knows what else we haven’t heard about!

Not bad work! :eek:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

02 Jul 2018 20:11

Cycling genius :)
User avatar armchairclimber

02 Jul 2018 20:15

First DS to clear a clearly postiive test. Marginal gains
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 15:59

User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:14

https://twitter.com/Johnny_Crash/status/1014581031020744706

Great tweet.

Brailsford wants everyone to believe that they're masters of every detail, yet they let their team leader get so dehydrated he scored a record breaking AAF.

So dehydrated he won the stage to boot.

It is a circus.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

04 Jul 2018 22:21

Benotti69 wrote:https://twitter.com/Johnny_Crash/status/1014581031020744706

Great tweet.

Brailsford wants everyone to believe that they're masters of every detail, yet they let their team leader get so dehydrated he scored a record breaking AAF.

It is a circus.

And Sky fanboys eat that $hit up like it's candy.
User avatar veganrob

Re: Re:

04 Jul 2018 22:37

veganrob wrote:

Great tweet.

It is a circus.

I did like this one from Liz Millar... hasn’t her brother told her how this cycling **** works? :cool:

I'd also like to see the person who leaked confidential information brought to book & make recompense & public apology to Froomey for the heartache brought to him, family, Team & Fans. The abuse given by the know-alls has been despicable. Go get that 5th Yellow Jersey Froomey
User avatar thehog
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 23:14

thehog wrote:
veganrob wrote:

Great tweet.

It is a circus.

I did like this one from Liz Millar... hasn’t her brother told her how this cycling **** works? :cool:

I'd also like to see the person who leaked confidential information brought to book & make recompense & public apology to Froomey for the heartache brought to him, family, Team & Fans. The abuse given by the know-alls has been despicable. Go get that 5th Yellow Jersey Froomey

Oh Fran Millar knows how it works. She told a sports mag she knew her brother was doping back in the day.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

05 Jul 2018 04:21

More word sallad, bs and obfuscation from "The Great Man" himself -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-looks-to-weather-storm-as-tour-de-france-looms/

... praising Froome and emphasising that he had always had his rider's back throughout the process.

Questionable going by long silence on the matter.

'presumed AAF'
- here we go, it never happened. UCI & WADA got it all wrong because of Froome's and the circumstance's uniqueness.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

05 Jul 2018 05:20

Robert5091 wrote:More word sallad, bs and obfuscation from "The Great Man" himself -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-looks-to-weather-storm-as-tour-de-france-looms/

... praising Froome and emphasising that he had always had his rider's back throughout the process.

'presumed AAF'
- here we go, it never happened. UCI & WADA got it all wrong because of Froome's and the circumstance's uniqueness.

Well, if you read the comments below the stories, thank goodness for Sky and DB, as they have done cycling a "great service". There is a tremendous amount of BS flying right now.

DB = Dooooosh Bag
User avatar Ripper

05 Jul 2018 06:34

He appears to have regained his mojo after taking somewhat of a prolonged sabbatical following fancy bears and Froome's AAF. You sort of have to admire the great man's resilience in that respect.

He reapperaed after stage 19 of the Giro to take credit for the refuelling plan after leaving most of the media duties to Portal prior to that.

He now appears to be back at the forefront of things again as the tour approaches. His corporate management speak is actually amusing at times as he is the master of talking a lot yet saying absolutely nothing.
ontheroad

Re:

05 Jul 2018 06:38

Robert5091 wrote:More word sallad, bs and obfuscation from "The Great Man" himself -

'presumed AAF'

The 'presumed' AAF is WADA speak (Rabin uses the term in WADA press release) for AAFs that require further explanation to be make it an offical AAF so an ADRV can then proceed to being investigated or be considered no AAF at all as is Froomes.
What has confused many is they wrongly assumed the leaked AAF was after the presumed stage and was already a WADA confirmed AAF. It wasn't that was only decided on 28th June by WADA. As we now know the presumed AAF didn't even get to the confirmed AAF stage or an ADDV be brought against Froome whatsoever.
samhocking

05 Jul 2018 07:21

samhocking wrote:

'presumed AAF'

The 'presumed' AAF is WADA speak (Rabin uses the term in WADA press release) for AAFs that require further explanation to be make it an offical AAF so an ADRV can then proceed to being investigated or be considered no AAF at all as is Froomes.
What has confused many is they wrongly assumed the leaked AAF was after the presumed stage and was already a WADA confirmed AAF. It wasn't that was only decided on 28th June by WADA. As we now know the presumed AAF didn't even get to the confirmed AAF stage or an ADDV be brought against Froome whatsoever.

face the facts sam...froome broke the rules...they lawyered up and then they changed the rules....that's what happened
gillan1969

05 Jul 2018 08:43

'Presumed' AAFs are not new to Froome, that is how it works because that is how WADA describe the AAF until otherwise. That is even the wording of the rule:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000ng/ml or formoterol in excess of 40ng/ml is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF)

It only becomes a bona fide AAF when WADA do not presume it to be therapeutic use, the ADRV process then begins with the governing body.
samhocking

Re:

05 Jul 2018 08:53

samhocking wrote:'Presumed' AAFs are not new to Froome, that is how it works because that is how WADA describe the AAF until otherwise. That is even the wording of the rule:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000ng/ml or formoterol in excess of 40ng/ml is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF)

It only becomes a bona fide AAF when WADA do not presume it to be therapeutic use, the ADRV process then begins.

sam I think you are SDB...it's that ability to say black is white...with a straight face :)

I've bolded your own cited quote just in case you're not getting it...and especially underlined the important word
gillan1969

Re: Dave Brailsford - cycling genius

05 Jul 2018 09:30

We are back to 'full force' Sky now. All pretence at contrition or a more humble attitude are gone. They have emerged triumphant, unrepentant and more forthright and condescending than ever, probably almost certain now that nothing can stop them. Marginal gains returned with the BBC article (seriously how many times could Hayles say "no other team does this"?), SBD is back front and centre with his never-ending management speak, Froome is the saintly victim who did us all a service by exposing defective testing, and the full fanfare media show is back.

All that's left now is the stroll around France to collect Froome's 5th maillot jaune and 4th consecutive GT win and confirm his immortality as one of the greatest.
Mamil

05 Jul 2018 09:31

You really don't understand that rule or how anti-doping works at the AAF stage do you. The 'presumption' of the urine level being above threshold is considered to be an AAF. If WADA 'knew' it wasn't theraputic they wouldn't be presuming anything would they. It would be worded that it 'is' considered an AAF. Please, WADA explain it like this for a reason and it's to protect innocent athletes from potential false positives.

Vaughters explained it all in great detail yesterday and he wasn't exonerating or supporting Froome and Sky whatsoever in that interview, the opposite in fact, but he recognises the importance of that 'presumed' meaning as being fundamental to the anti-doping AAF process. I really suggest anyone listen to his interview because he is the only person i've heard that has actually explained and articulated in full, how the AAF to ADRV process works 'in reality' and why it works like that in reality. Begins at 22:43 in the audio below:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6920704-a-pre-tour-de-france-ramble-part-two
samhocking

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic