Log in:  

Register

The most alien jumps ever

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

The most alien jumps ever

26 May 2015 08:00

What, in your opinion, is the most alien jump you've ever seen?
(HD) footage required.

These three keep spinning round in my head:

1. Cancellara 2010 PR, 2:10 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xjsPqHg3o

2. Cancellara 2010 RvV, 1:40 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i8DSbgsqC8

3. Froome 2013 Ventoux, 1:40 into the next like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWyd8pPbr0

Not coincidentally, all three are seated, a rider putting a massive gap in short space of time onto his opponents. All three, imo, look unnatural in terms of accelleration compared to visible physical effort.
My guess is that 90% of the posters here have seen more races than I have, so I would love to see some other foorage of alien jumps. Selection criteria may of course differ from mine.

On a side, also welcome are links/references to specific type of commentary, e.g. where commentators explicitly state they can't believe what they're seeing.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

26 May 2015 08:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpSHQ5bRrhU

First to come into mind. Haven't seen any better footage sorry, but pretty sure you can still get the point :P
mihhint
Junior Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 20 May 2014 14:28

26 May 2015 08:23

burning
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,463
Joined: 29 Feb 2012 21:33

26 May 2015 08:34

If we're including sprinters then this one takes some beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQedKbxiuBA
User avatar Bernie's eyesore
Member
 
Posts: 1,434
Joined: 14 Sep 2011 10:03

26 May 2015 08:53

Froome's 2013 season and Cancellera's 2010 have be motorized efforts. You can't just ride that, not even with doping.

Lance was at least climbing out of the saddle for the most of the time.
LeindersGains
Junior Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 19 May 2015 17:16

26 May 2015 10:15

Some very good ones, keep'm coming.

Still, it appears difficult to find more of those seated uphill jumps that we've seen from Cancellara (recall the steepest part of the Mur, where Fab jumped, is 19,8%) and Froome on Ventoux.
I seem to recall in the aftermath of Ventoux, Walsh and other Sky people claiming that seated uphill accellerations are the real deal, the future. Not really?
Last edited by sniper on 26 May 2015 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

26 May 2015 10:19

Gilbert at FW 2011 is a great one too
User avatar Miburo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

26 May 2015 10:43

cancellara and froome i don't think they make even the top 100 lol
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,778
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

26 May 2015 10:44

JTL haut var and Gabrovski tour of turkey from recent times.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,664
Joined: 21 Jul 2012 20:17

Re:

26 May 2015 11:01

jens_attacks wrote:cancellara and froome i don't think they make even the top 100 lol

that would depend on your definition of 'alien jump'.

Take that steep Haut Var 2012 climb where Tiernan Locke goes full retard, which I think was the Mur de Fayence, and compare it to the Muur of Geraardsbergen where Fab rocketed away from Boonen.

Fayence (Haut var):
http://www.strava.com/segments/mur-de-fayence-arriv%C3%A9e-tour-du-haut-var-946500

Muur van Geraardsbergen (RvV):
http://www.strava.com/segments/mur-de-fayence-arriv%C3%A9e-tour-du-haut-var-946500

As you see they are very comparable climbs in terms of length and steepness.

Now watch Haut-var 2012 (Fayence), say, from 20:50 onwards in the following vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-U1jvmfLA
As you'd expect, everybody without exception, including doped to the gills JTL, goes out of the saddle.
Compare that to Fab's 2010 seated Muur acceleration.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

26 May 2015 11:35

i'm already aware of you paranoia with the motor bikes.
again, i've seen hundreds of more beasty attacks than fabian on the muur.
if you want to find a guy who rode with a motor, find one who tried his luck once and then disappeared and did nothing close to that

riders like lance,pantani,cancellara,froome did that more than once and their engines are in their heart and blood.
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,778
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

Re:

26 May 2015 11:38

jens_attacks wrote:riders like lance,pantani,cancellara,froome did that more than once and their engines are in their heart and blood...


...and syringes and gelatin encapsulated red pills and testosterone patches and half-frozen transfusions.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

Re:

26 May 2015 11:50

jens_attacks wrote:again, i've seen hundreds of more beasty attacks than fabian on the muur.
me too.
and that's the point, there was nothing beasty in any sense of the word about his attack on the Mur. His body language did nothing, zilk, nada, nichts, to suggest this was a 20% steep climb where he was going to drop an in-form Boonen putting 250 meters on him in less than a minute.

So you're not engaging with my argument about seated vs. out of the saddle climbing. You don't have to of course, but I'm genuinely interested: How come 99% (my estimate) of climbers (as seen clearly e.g. in the haut-var footage) will go out of the saddle on a 20% steep climb, but not Fabian?
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

26 May 2015 12:18

Beast mode? Maybe it was his final form? Maybe his power was over 9000?


:D
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

26 May 2015 12:29

I genuinely cannot think of one reason why, on a climb as steep as those Murs (be it Fayence at Haut Var be it Geraardsbergen) you would stay in the saddle when the climbs go steeper than, say, 10%.
Physiologically/physically it doesn't make any sense at all.
Doping doesn't seem to change that.
All the retarded jumps posted thus far show doped-to-the-gills guys going out of the saddle.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

Re:

26 May 2015 13:54

sniper wrote:I genuinely cannot think of one reason why, on a climb as steep as those Murs (be it Fayence at Haut Var be it Geraardsbergen) you would stay in the saddle when the climbs go steeper than, say, 10%.
Physiologically/physically it doesn't make any sense at all.
Doping doesn't seem to change that.
All the retarded jumps posted thus far show doped-to-the-gills guys going out of the saddle.


Did you start a new thread to rekindle the argument about motor fiction?

Or, to talk about seated versus standing attacks.

To your question about 10% gradients, have you ridden any?

Serious question. Because your assertions about physical impossibility seem a bit overstated.

Personally (remember, though, I am a nobody), I don't have to get out of the saddle until 13%, but if I am really careful, I can still stay in the saddle up to about 20% if I want to - and do pitches like this at lest once a week and frequently in races. I am usually out of the saddle before anyone else.

Part of it depends on being smooth to keep the front wheel on the road and not pull a wheelie. If you get out of the saddle, you may put out more watts but some of that power is required to keep you standing because you are now supporting your body weight. Watching others, some smaller guys do have real problems standing.

But, that is just me and the other fools that I hang around with.

However, if a nobody like me can do it.... then, surely, it isn't out of the question for at least the occasional pro.

Dave.
D-Queued
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,181
Joined: 26 May 2010 23:41

26 May 2015 14:30

On cobbles? :-/

Plus it's different riding up 13% seated vs dropping the second best rider in the race up 13% cobbles and then disappearing.

I don't doubt your example and have similar experience - not every week though that's just madness ;)
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

Re: Re:

26 May 2015 15:49

D-Queued wrote:
sniper wrote:I genuinely cannot think of one reason why, on a climb as steep as those Murs (be it Fayence at Haut Var be it Geraardsbergen) you would stay in the saddle when the climbs go steeper than, say, 10%.
Physiologically/physically it doesn't make any sense at all.
Doping doesn't seem to change that.
All the retarded jumps posted thus far show doped-to-the-gills guys going out of the saddle.


Did you start a new thread to rekindle the argument about motor fiction?

Or, to talk about seated versus standing attacks.

To your question about 10% gradients, have you ridden any?

Serious question. Because your assertions about physical impossibility seem a bit overstated.

Personally (remember, though, I am a nobody), I don't have to get out of the saddle until 13%, but if I am really careful, I can still stay in the saddle up to about 20% if I want to - and do pitches like this at lest once a week and frequently in races. I am usually out of the saddle before anyone else.

Part of it depends on being smooth to keep the front wheel on the road and not pull a wheelie. If you get out of the saddle, you may put out more watts but some of that power is required to keep you standing because you are now supporting your body weight. Watching others, some smaller guys do have real problems standing.

But, that is just me and the other fools that I hang around with.

However, if a nobody like me can do it.... then, surely, it isn't out of the question for at least the occasional pro.

Dave.
that's interesting. thanks for the insight.

but lets set these two parameters:
i'd suggest we limit our analysis to (a) short steep climbs and (b) accellerations.
Accelerating on a short steep and decisive climb, rarely do you see anybody do that seated.

I posted the haut-var climb where everybody gets out of the saddle, as you'd expect on the steepest parts (up to 20%) of a short and decisive climb.
Look up any RvV which has the Geraardsmuur in it, and you'll see, say, 99% of the riders getting out of the saddle on that steep (19.8%) part. Boonen got out of the saddle. Of course he did. He'd either break his back are come to a stand if he didn't.

And yes, the thread comes forth from the motor thread and your (failed) attempt to show jumps similar to Cancellara 2010.
This thread provides further confirmation.
Without exception the most ridiculous doped-up jumps (= steep uphill accelerations) were performed out of the saddle.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

Re: The most alien jumps ever

26 May 2015 16:44

sniper wrote:What, in your opinion, is the most alien jump you've ever seen?
(HD) footage required.

These three keep spinning round in my head:

1. Cancellara 2010 PR, 2:10 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xjsPqHg3o

2. Cancellara 2010 RvV, 1:40 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i8DSbgsqC8


3. Froome 2013 Ventoux, 1:40 into the next like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWyd8pPbr0


Boonen cramped up. That's what makes it seem alien. Cancellara basically just upped the pace a tiny bit, like he's done a thousand times in other races.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,466
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

Re: The most alien jumps ever

26 May 2015 16:54

Cance > TheRest wrote:
sniper wrote:What, in your opinion, is the most alien jump you've ever seen?
(HD) footage required.

These three keep spinning round in my head:

1. Cancellara 2010 PR, 2:10 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xjsPqHg3o

2. Cancellara 2010 RvV, 1:40 into the next link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i8DSbgsqC8


3. Froome 2013 Ventoux, 1:40 into the next like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWyd8pPbr0


Boonen cramped up. That's what makes it seem alien. Cancellara basically just upped the pace a tiny bit, like he's done a thousand times in other races.


maybe.
but you normally don't up the pace like that on a 20% steep climb.
or if you do, you'd normally get out of the saddle I think.
But ok, maybe i'm making too much out of it.
Back to analyzing those bike switches :D
http://www.wat.tv/video/cancellara-a-pas-tout-dit-2v7qj_2eyx7_.html
Take that.
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,578
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

Next

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: King Boonen, PeterB and 18 guests

Back to top