Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Jun 2018 10:36

OK, Thomas is legit GC rider then. But many in clinic complain how can a track/classics specialist who can't climb become a GC rider still. It's simply the other side of the same coin in the clinic depending on what timeframe your argument is based.

As for Doumilin, I'd say he's simply doing what Wiggins proved is possible. Big proven engine, drop the weight, hang on in mountains to power threshold, TT to make the difference.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,729
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re:

12 Jun 2018 12:23

samhocking wrote:OK, Thomas is legit GC rider then. But many in clinic complain how can a track/classics specialist who can't climb become a GC rider still. It's simply the other side of the same coin in the clinic depending on what timeframe your argument is based.

As for Doumilin, I'd say he's simply doing what Wiggins proved is possible. Big proven engine, drop the weight, hang on in mountains to power threshold, TT to make the difference.


How can you comfortably call what Wiggins did during his Tour win year, hanging on in mountains? He was arguably the strongest climber (with the exception of his super domestique at the time) in the race.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,241
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re: Re:

12 Jun 2018 12:43

Angliru wrote:
samhocking wrote:OK, Thomas is legit GC rider then. But many in clinic complain how can a track/classics specialist who can't climb become a GC rider still. It's simply the other side of the same coin in the clinic depending on what timeframe your argument is based.

As for Doumilin, I'd say he's simply doing what Wiggins proved is possible. Big proven engine, drop the weight, hang on in mountains to power threshold, TT to make the difference.


How can comfortably call what Wiggins did during his Tour win year, hanging on in mountains? He was arguably the strongest climber (with the exception of his super domestique at the time) in the race.


Because he didn't win a single mountain stage or use any climbs to gain time on GC and instead won both ITTs instead to reach Paris in the least amount of time? Maybe he didn't want to win any mountain stages and wanted to save energy for the ITTs so it just looked like he was hanging on and in fact was the best climber anyway. You could be right?
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,729
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

12 Jun 2018 13:00

so now we have..

Twiggo - he just lost the weight
Froomey - he just lost the weight (that ones verified by a scientist :) )
G - he just lost the weight

to be fair I don't think G has asthma :)
gillan1969
Member
 
Posts: 1,454
Joined: 12 Aug 2009 12:25

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

12 Jun 2018 13:48

gillan1969 wrote:so now we have..

Twiggo - he just lost the weight
Froomey - he just lost the weight (that ones verified by a scientist :) )
G - he just lost the weight

to be fair I don't think G has asthma :)

It's still early. Did Walsh write a bike about him yet?
User avatar veganrob
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,463
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 23:15
Location: The D

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

12 Jun 2018 14:02

veganrob wrote:
gillan1969 wrote:so now we have..

Twiggo - he just lost the weight
Froomey - he just lost the weight (that ones verified by a scientist :) )
G - he just lost the weight

to be fair I don't think G has asthma :)

It's still early. Did Walsh write a bike about him yet?


G has a book, aptly named “The world of cycling according to G”. G already knows everything there is to know about cycling :cool:

Image
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,467
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

12 Jun 2018 15:09

this guy annoys me even more than Froome for some reason. I liked him when he was a classics rider, too.
User avatar zlev11
Member
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 23 Jan 2011 17:49

Re:

12 Jun 2018 15:14

zlev11 wrote:this guy annoys me even more than Froome for some reason. I liked him when he was a classics rider, too.


Sir Dave’s quote on the cover of G’s book is priceless :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,467
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

01 Jul 2018 15:38

Time for G to start his engine!? This year could be his year! :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,467
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

04 Jul 2018 06:05

Seems like WADA have messed up Gee's chance for greatness.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,426
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

04 Jul 2018 12:07

Let's hope G doesn't read his script for this Tour and instead seeks inspiration from eg Stephen Roche
Winterfold
Member
 
Posts: 1,548
Joined: 30 Jul 2009 22:54

Re:

05 Jul 2018 06:14

Robert5091 wrote:Seems like WADA have messed up Gee's chance for greatness.

spoke between the wheels
spanner in the works
...
dial yn y mynyddoedd
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,561
Joined: 16 Feb 2010 14:25
Location: Sardinia

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

07 Jul 2018 21:11

Let Gee Ride!

51 sec ahead of his team mate. Surely Geraint ‘Two Leaders’ Thomas must now be the protected rider!
Jacques (7 ch)
Junior Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2015 09:16

08 Jul 2018 07:06

I kind of liked him when he was a second-tier one day racer. Since his transformation... Not so much.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives
Member
 
Posts: 1,219
Joined: 03 May 2010 13:27

Re:

08 Jul 2018 08:19

Pantani_lives wrote:I kind of liked him when he was a second-tier one day racer. Since his transformation... Not so much.


But everyone knew he could become a GC contender because of his track background.
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,750
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

09 Jul 2018 11:59

Thomas to take yellow today.

Someone needs to keep an eye on Kirby. Death by orgasm.
Puckfiend
Junior Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 23:58

Re:

09 Jul 2018 14:14

Puckfiend wrote:Thomas to take yellow today.

Someone needs to keep an eye on Kirby. Death by orgasm.


Sorry. G is behind TJVG today. :lol:
User avatar JosephK
Junior Member
 
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jul 2016 15:49

09 Jul 2018 16:42

Kirby lives for another day!
Puckfiend
Junior Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 23:58

Re:

09 Jul 2018 18:51

Puckfiend wrote:Kirby lives for another day!


His poor hands must be terribly blistered ........
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,456
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

09 Jul 2018 22:52

One can only imagine what will happen to (for?) Mr. Kirby if the podium ends up Froome, G, and LRP (still a Sky man at heart).
User avatar JosephK
Junior Member
 
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jul 2016 15:49

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: spalco, Tim Booth and 11 guests

Back to top