Register

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

27 Aug 2018 04:46

weak? thomas is more of an ordinary tour champion. it's not like all previous editions always included someone smashing others uphill. yes, thomas didn't knock out anyone in the mountains, but he's never been even remotely close to showing weakness. that was impressive
dacooley

05 Sep 2018 18:47

so GT not going to the Worlds (neither CF) citing fatigue...fishy, no? specially considering GT didnt race two GTs....or maybe both of them are just out of shape...
gmedina

Re:

05 Sep 2018 20:13

gmedina wrote:so GT not going to the Worlds (neither CF) citing fatigue...fishy, no? specially considering GT didnt race two GTs....or maybe both of them are just out of shape...

Why is it fishy? He's been celebrating, doing sponsor stuff, criteriums and probably very little training. This is normal for a first time Tour winners. Here's what the others did:

2007: Contador's only race was the Tour of Missouri for his US sponsors - he came 19th
2008: Sastre is the exception. He rode seriously getting a Vuelta podium
2010: Schleck didn't know he'd won yet, but still got sent home from the Vuelta for drinking
2011: Evans's only race was the Tour of Colorado for his US team
2012: Wiggins won the Olympics, but then treated the Tour of Britain as a pub crawl
2013: Froome did a bit of racing in North America to little effect, but contributed to Sky's world's TTT bronze
2014: Nibali did a couple of Italian one day races and came 40th at the Worlds, then did a race in Kazakhstan
Parker

Re:

05 Sep 2018 20:26

gmedina wrote:so GT not going to the Worlds (neither CF) citing fatigue...fishy, no? specially considering GT didnt race two GTs....or maybe both of them are just out of shape...

perhaps they didn't want to get hit with another end of season "positive"
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

06 Sep 2018 06:21

Yeah, the most fishy thing I've ever seen. Definitely doping. FFS :confused:
brownbobby

Re: Re:

06 Sep 2018 06:55

Parker wrote:

Why is it fishy? He's been celebrating, doing sponsor stuff, criteriums and probably very little training. This is normal for a first time Tour winners. Here's what the others did:

2007: Contador's only race was the Tour of Missouri for his US sponsors - he came 19th
2010: Schleck didn't know he'd won yet, but still got sent home from the Vuelta for drinking
2012: Wiggins won the Olympics, but then treated the Tour of Britain as a pub crawl
2013: Froome did a bit of racing in North America to little effect, but contributed to Sky's world's TTT bronze
2014: Nibali did a couple of Italian one day races and came 40th at the Worlds, then did a race in Kazakhstan

It's the best chance and perhaps only chance for climbers to win the WC in ages Parker...
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

06 Sep 2018 12:00

LaFlorecita wrote:
Parker wrote:

It's the best chance and perhaps only chance for climbers to win the WC in ages Parker...

maybe, just maybe they need a rest
rick james

06 Sep 2018 12:51

rick james wrote:maybe, just maybe they need a rest

They had weeks to rest after the Tour and could have skipped Tour of Britain and Poland (?) in Thomas' case
Yes Froome did the double, Thomas didn't.
I don't see why they'd want to miss out on such a chance
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

06 Sep 2018 13:39

brownbobby wrote:

Yeah, the most fishy thing I've ever seen. Definitely doping. FFS :confused:

Yep - do GTs and the Worlds : doping. Do GTs but not worlds (as fatigued) : fishy and therefore must be doping.

Where's old Benotti when we need him ...
TheSpud

06 Sep 2018 16:03

You also have to consider that somebody being a pro cyclist doesn't necessarily mean they are a fan of the sport. I've often heard about football players for example who don't give a **** about the sport and never watch it if they don't have to.

Thomas strikes me as the kind of guy who maybe doesn't care about the rainbow jersey, but only doing his job at Sky.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

06 Sep 2018 18:01

LaFlorecita wrote:
rick james wrote:maybe, just maybe they need a rest

They had weeks to rest after the Tour and could have skipped Tour of Britain and Poland (?) in Thomas' case
Yes Froome did the double, Thomas didn't.
I don't see why they'd want to miss out on such a chance

He has a one day racing pedigree (ok, mainly cobbled classics, but in Rio he was still better than Froome), so you'd assume that he'd give it a try, same with the ITT.
On the other hand, in recent memory I can't name a single rider who has still done something relevant durning the Autumn after winning his first Tour.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

06 Sep 2018 20:03

If it was me and I’d just won my first tour, you wouldn’t find me doing any autumn races..I’d be smashed on hookers and cocaine and would probably have my own thread in the clinic my life style would be that crazy
rick james

06 Sep 2018 20:14

...so now G/da dawg skipping the worlds 'cos sagan is riding /they consider they have zero chance of winning

is evidence of doping...............

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

06 Sep 2018 21:41

ebandit wrote:...so now G/da dawg skipping the worlds 'cos sagan is riding /they consider they have zero chance of winning

is evidence of doping...............

Mark L

What the hell are you talking about?
rick james

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

07 Sep 2018 11:59

Looking at the size of Thomas at the moment, Ian Stannard would fair just as well in Innsbruck I think lol. He's clearly been enjoying some Welsh Ales.
samhocking

07 Sep 2018 14:51

You can't blame a rider for going off the grid after achieving their lifelong dream
User avatar PremierAndrew

10 Sep 2018 23:13

There’s nothing weird about him skipping the worlds. He has been living like a particularly ascetic monk for a long time. Since he won the Tour, he has dropped that lifestyle for a more enjoyable one. Consequently the Worlds are not a once in a lifetime opportunity, just a chance to be embarrassed as people talk him up for a race he’s not fit for.

You have to remember that Merckx and Roche and other riders who had some similar year of season long dominance were insane. Thomas is a bit more like the rest of us.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

10 Sep 2018 23:32

Zinoviev Letter wrote:who had some similar year of season long dominance

Smoke much? Lots of GT bots on the forum. My theory is that the fix is in for Yates (the one who claims he's not dominating the Vuelta) to win and neither GT or Froomsickle want any part of that.
Huapango

11 Sep 2018 12:59

Huapango wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:who had some similar year of season long dominance

Smoke much? Lots of GT bots on the forum. My theory is that the fix is in for Yates (the one who claims he's not dominating the Vuelta) to win and neither GT or Froomsickle want any part of that.

I see that literacy is not one of your strong points, you clown.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

11 Sep 2018 13:28

Personally, I'm more excited for the squad Matt B has selected than anything Ellingworth put together since Cavendish really. Thomas deserves to kick back and enjoy his win. Froome doesn't have anything to prove and maybe he put his new baby above training for another 2 months to stay on top for one days racing never won in same year by a Giro winner since Hinault anyway.
Sure it's 5000m climbing, but it's not 2500 then another 2500 so it isn't suited to threshold riding and probably not controllable to be that either by GB to bring the race to Frooomes stengths. I'd say Yates is as good as Froome & Thomas given their calendar anyway.
samhocking

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic