Register

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Jul 2015 21:47

Thomas was no autobus fodder, but he's a guy who should have no business beyond the lower end of the top 20 or 25, tops.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

14 Jul 2015 21:50

Better title for the thread: "Geraint Thomas, the UK Postal Hincapie"
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Jul 2015 21:50

hrotha wrote:Thomas was no autobus fodder, but he's a guy who should have no business beyond the lower end of the top 20 or 25, tops.

2007 TdF 140th
2008 Gir 118th
2010 TdF 67th
2011 TdF 31st
2012 Gir 80th
2013 TdF 140th
2014 TdF 22nd.

Dont see it. His GTs are hardly a progression..........
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

14 Jul 2015 21:53

I'm British, fairly hopeless at climbing though. Wonder how long it would take me to win the TdF after joining Sky
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

14 Jul 2015 21:55

PremierAndrew wrote:I'm British, fairly hopeless at climbing though. Wonder how long it would take me to win the TdF after joining Sky

You might be stuck with the 1 week stage races now that LRP is leaving... :D
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 Jul 2015 21:55

I think his 31st in 2011 is a good hint of his ability when giving it a serious go, at a time when I think he wasn't part of the Teide Troop.

This is all pretty irrelevant, though. We're debating whether he suddenly got x3 or x5 times better this year.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

14 Jul 2015 22:02

PremierAndrew wrote:I'm British, fairly hopeless at climbing though. Wonder how long it would take me to win the TdF after joining Sky

If you are like Froome, ooh 4 weeks or so...........
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

14 Jul 2015 22:04

hrotha wrote:I think his 31st in 2011 is a good hint of his ability when giving it a serious go, at a time when I think he wasn't part of the Teide Troop.

This is all pretty irrelevant, though. We're debating whether he suddenly got x3 or x5 times better this year.

Yeah, only podium contenders are serious about the GTs......... :rolleyes:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

14 Jul 2015 22:05

Netserk wrote:Better title for the thread: "Geraint Thomas, the UK Postal Hincapie"

Or, "Geraint Thomas, The Big British Dope"
User avatar fantomas

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2015 22:18

Benotti69 wrote:
hrotha wrote:I think his 31st in 2011 is a good hint of his ability when giving it a serious go, at a time when I think he wasn't part of the Teide Troop.

LOL. Benotti being Benotti. I'm sure Porte is really worried about his GC place. No way BMC is going to pay him even 6 figures now that he's way back at 79th. Me thinks he screwed up his career.

Anyway it looks like Thomas found the not-so-secret loophole Astana had uncorked in the Giro. Riding at the front against the wind on hot days keeps you cool. It's the ultimate marginal gain, I tell ya.
User avatar carton

14 Jul 2015 22:27

carton wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

LOL. Benotti being Benotti. I'm sure Porte is really worried about his GC place. No way BMC is going to pay him even 6 figures now that he's way back at 79th. Me thinks he screwed up his career.

Anyway it looks like Thomas found the not-so-secret loophole Astana had uncorked in the Giro. Riding at the front against the wind on hot days keeps you cool. It's the ultimate marginal gain, I tell ya.

Don't be so sure of that. GC guys are few and far between, he's commanding a 7 figure salary. Guaranteed.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 Jul 2015 22:27

carton wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

Yeah, lets compare apples and oranges.......

The idea that a young pro was not being serious about his GTs is for the birds. Thomas happy to finish 140th, 118th and 67th before thinking, ooh this professional cycling, I better get serious about this malarky before someone drops me from the team!!!

Now the claim is Thomas had GT class but it only showed at age 26/27......hmmmm not buying it.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

14 Jul 2015 22:36

Enough of the back and forth guys.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

14 Jul 2015 22:54

Poursuivant wrote:
Bernie's eyesore wrote:
the sceptic wrote:clearly a future tour winner in the making here. He comes from a track background after all.

Podium this tour? I look forward to him dropping Quintana next.

Any chance you could start some more new Sky threads? This is only the fifth in the last couple of days.

I'm looking forward to the Gallopin thread, he unexpectedly finished with the same group too.

Go ahead and start a gallopin thread, then. See how many comes out to his defense. Do you believe thomas is clean?
User avatar zapata

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:04

The bigger question is how long it would take before Sky gave you your own motor home?
ChewbaccaDefense

14 Jul 2015 23:10

Benotti69 wrote:

Thomas is the kind of rider who might not try his best on mountain stages so that he can rest up to be a domestique on the other stages where he could help a leader. So he could have the same physical capacity and finish 31st or 140th. There is a big difference between taking the race seriously, all the riders do this and taking their place on GC seriously. Some riders who finish inside the top 20 might not be taking their GC position seriously, they are just doing a job for their team which ends them up there and some who finish behind them might be trying their best to finish top 20. This has no impact on whether they are doping or not.

However you would expect rider capable of doing a ride like todays at age 30 to have shown a bit more previously at some stage in his career than what Thomas has in his career, that is what is so suspicious about his ride.
TheGreenMonkey

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:12

djpbaltimore wrote:I said this in the SKY thread already, but I think that Thomas' best case scenario in GT GCs is probably a Christian Vande Velde-esque career. Future tour winner is probably hyperbole. Though I will be interested to see if he can handle multiple climbs in a true mountain stage.

His performance today alone arguably surpassed any performance CVV ever did
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

14 Jul 2015 23:13

Poursuivant wrote:
Bernie's eyesore wrote:
the sceptic wrote:clearly a future tour winner in the making here. He comes from a track background after all.

Podium this tour? I look forward to him dropping Quintana next.

Any chance you could start some more new Sky threads? This is only the fifth in the last couple of days.

I'm looking forward to the Gallopin thread, he unexpectedly finished with the same group too.

You don't know how to create threads on here? Its pretty simple.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

14 Jul 2015 23:15

carton wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

Porte knows The Secret of Marginal Gains. That in itself is worth at least 7 figures.
User avatar fantomas

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:21

Punkan wrote:Think we might get ahead of ourselves here. G hasn't proven that he can hang with best on a real mountain stage with several hard climbs. To me it isn't totally unexpected that G could do something like this on one climb. He is a fairly skinny rider with a great engine. Compare his performance with Gallopin, another rider that weighs around 70 kilos: G beat Gallopin with 21 seconds today. If G is 5th on a stage like stage 12, I start raising some eyebrows.

I agree.

While we are at it I feel we also got a little ahead of ourselves with Horner. We should wait for Horner to age a little more and then win all 3 gts. That will be far more telling. If he wins all 3 gts at age 47, then I'll start raising some eyebrows.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic