Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Jul 2015 23:21

The guy had all incentive to go all out in 2010 in the mountains. He was 2ND in GC that year when the tour entered the mountains. Unfortunately for him Sky had net yet invested that heavily in blenders and pillows
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,314
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

14 Jul 2015 23:25

Quick question for the historians amongst you. Who was the last rider who won both cobbled classics and was also a top 10 candidate in Grand Tours. I've seen Hincapie mentioned a bit. Would it be him and Bugno? Any others since the likes of Kelly, Hinault etc?
Pierrot le Fou
Junior Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: 02 Jul 2015 07:24

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:27

Pierrot le Fou wrote:Quick question for the historians amongst you. Who was the last rider who won both cobbled classics and was also a top 10 candidate in Grand Tours. I've seen Hincapie mentioned a bit. Would it be him and Bugno? Any others since the likes of Kelly, Hinault etc?

Vandenbroucke, perhaps. He was 12th in the 1999 Vuelta, the same year he won the Omloop Het Volk among other things, but he didn't really ride for the GC.

He was 24 at the time.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,727
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:30

PremierAndrew wrote:I'm British, fairly hopeless at climbing though.

So basically, identical to Geraint Thomas (before this year) ;)
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,905
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:35

The Hitch wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:I'm British, fairly hopeless at climbing though.

So basically, identical to Geraint Thomas (before this year) ;)


Tbf, G did have some pedigree, beating LRP after domming for him (nothing special though)

Everyone successful athlete has a breakthrough year, but it is fairly hard to believe someone do so well on both the MTs and the cobbles when the field is so speicalised
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

14 Jul 2015 23:36

Nardello finished fifth twice in de Ronde and took some top 10s in the post festina tours. Even that involved some breakaway luck and never climbed like Thomas did today. Also was nowhere as good in the classics
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,314
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

14 Jul 2015 23:38

Damn shame Paolini got cracked for coke. The man who outrode Geraint at Gent-Wevelgem would have shat on Froome from a great height today.

Because that's how pro cycling works now. Apparently.
User avatar Saint Unix
Member
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 14 Feb 2014 11:00
Location: Norway

Re:

14 Jul 2015 23:43

Billie wrote:Nardello finished fifth twice in de Ronde and took some top 10s in the post festina tours. Even that involved some breakaway luck and never climbed like Thomas did today. Also was nowhere as good in the classics

Yes, Daniele Nardello was my first thought too. He didn't actually win any classics, but he top-10'd Paris-Roubaix and Ronde van Vlaanderen several times, while riding GC - almost randomly at times - too. A true allrounder.
User avatar mortand
Member
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 30 Oct 2009 11:13

14 Jul 2015 23:51

Devolder, don't remember him performing in classics and Grand Tours in the same year though
Eagle
Member
 
Posts: 847
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 21:44

15 Jul 2015 00:23

Evans won Wallone in 2010 and finished 5th in the Giro with the blue jersey. Not cobbled, but still a classic, I guess. He also got a 4th at Liege and held the maillot jaune he went on to win the following year. And, good ol' G himself finished 31st at the Tour and 10th in Flanders 8 seconds back in 2011. Chava came in second at Roubaix that year, he'd worn the jaune twice in the first week the year before, the second time after a fairly hilly stage 7 ending in back to back cat. 2 climbs. The latter would be the comp for me so far.

If he keeps this up, going way back obviously Mercxx in '70 won the Tour, Giro, Roubaix and though he was only third at Flanders he did win the Belgian Champs, which can feature the odd stretch of cobbles/set/pave. That would be a fun accomplishment for G. As you point out, Hinault won Roubaix and the Tour the same year, Kelly Gent and the Vuelta in '88, so that could be a fall back.
User avatar carton
Member
 
Posts: 1,408
Joined: 04 Aug 2014 15:25

15 Jul 2015 00:37

Really depressed now.We have a mix in Peleton. More and more are getting clean. Also in GC contenders. There is really only one possible solution, Give dope all free so everybody competes at same terms. Only way. The clean path is a lost course. We get 80 plus kg flying over the mountains but so be it. It is the only way, As check systems are so easy to circumvent, it is only way.
leon993
Junior Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 17 Jul 2011 09:27

15 Jul 2015 00:39

Image
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

Re:

15 Jul 2015 00:50

Dear Wiggo wrote:Image


Lol, lol.

The Brit hate is strong in this one.

Maybe it has something to do with us maybe winning the ashes back in, what, our fifth sport? Sixth?
User avatar Poursuivant
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,045
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 18:19

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2015 00:55

Poursuivant wrote:Lol, lol.

The Brit hate is strong in this one.

Maybe it has something to do with us maybe winning the ashes back in, what, our fifth sport? Sixth?


Given I have been to school there, have British family I care about there and find cricket interminably dull, you are going to get a:

lolnope. Try again.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2015 00:57

Dear Wiggo wrote:
Poursuivant wrote:Lol, lol.

The Brit hate is strong in this one.

Maybe it has something to do with us maybe winning the ashes back in, what, our fifth sport? Sixth?


Given I have been to school there, have British family I care about there and find cricket interminably dull, you are going to get a:

lolnope. Try again.


How about you start by explaining the truth of what the image says?

Yeah try that one on for size.

Betcha can't, believably!
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: 29 Sep 2012 10:11
Location: Sunny Australia

Re:

15 Jul 2015 01:06

Billie wrote:Nardello finished fifth twice in de Ronde and took some top 10s in the post festina tours. Even that involved some breakaway luck and never climbed like Thomas did today. Also was nowhere as good in the classics


Bettini went close over his career as well with a Vuelta top ten and some cobble top tens.
TheGreenMonkey
Member
 
Posts: 1,070
Joined: 07 Sep 2014 08:28

Re:

15 Jul 2015 02:27

JackRabbitSlims wrote:from a classics rider & contender

to a gt rider and contender

in one year

podium for g. thomas in 2016


G to win MSR, RVV and P-R, then win at the Giro, come 2nd to Froome in the TDF and come first at the Vuelta. This is all before leading out Cavendish to the WC RR title for at least 250 km.
greenedge
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,613
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2015 02:38

Poursuivant wrote:
Dear Wiggo wrote:Image


Lol, lol.

The Brit hate is strong in this one.

Maybe it has something to do with us maybe winning the ashes back in, what, our fifth sport? Sixth?

If that's it, explain the frustration from so many other nationalities, including some of your own....
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,909
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re:

15 Jul 2015 04:42

Billie wrote:The guy had all incentive to go all out in 2010 in the mountains. He was 2ND in GC that year when the tour entered the mountains. Unfortunately for him Sky had net yet invested that heavily in blenders and pillows



yes. that time, they were OD'ing and mainlining nutella at the dinner table, 2555 calories of sub-optimal nutrition.

Image
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

15 Jul 2015 04:52

the initial.

drinking from some of the nutella smoothies of LRP and dawg
User avatar blackcat
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,232
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 19:20

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests

Back to top