Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Re: Doping In Athletics

26 Feb 2017 07:20

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/39093398
The American coach of Olympic champion Mo Farah may have broken anti-doping rules to boost the performance of some of his athletes, says a leaked report.

Alberto Salazar has been under investigation since a BBC Panorama programme made allegations about drugs use at his US training base.

A leaked US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) report, dated March 2016, has been obtained by the Sunday Times.
The leaked report also alleges Salazar, head coach of the world famous endurance Nike Oregon Project (NOP), routinely gave Farah and other athletes legal prescription drugs with potentially harmful side-effects without a justifiable medical reason.

The investigation into Salazar, who is also a consultant to UK Athletics (UKA), has been under way since at least June 2015.

The Usada interim report was passed to the Sunday Times by the suspected Russian hacking group Fancy Bears.

The BBC has so far been unable to verify its authenticity with Usada, or establish whether any of its reported conclusions are out of date.
Kirby, the reason the mute button was invented! :)
LRP - you'll believe a man can fly!
User avatar Robert5091

26 Feb 2017 18:25

Poor, poor, poor sweet innocent Mo, the unwitting victim of nasty, evil coaches :lol: :lol: :lol:
arcus

26 Feb 2017 18:58

I'm clean! Honest!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/39095377
"The investigation into Salazar, who is also a consultant to UK Athletics (UKA), has been under way since at least June 2015."
What are they waiting for? :mad:
User avatar Robert5091

26 Feb 2017 20:13

Mo's wife is on twitter calling everyone a racist who accuses Mo of doping. Class.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

26 Feb 2017 20:16

User avatar HelmutRoole

26 Feb 2017 20:54

This is ridiculous. It's not like the athletes Salazar coached have ever accused him of anything improper!
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

27 Feb 2017 17:28

What's the fuss - It's well known that athletes will take any supplement to improve performance - Usually these will be products that are WADA compliant - And there's no guarantee these wacky products will help performance.
yaco

Re:

27 Feb 2017 18:04

yaco wrote:What's the fuss - It's well known that athletes will take any supplement to improve performance - Usually these will be products that are WADA compliant - And there's no guarantee these wacky products will help performance.

So it's ok for some to dope, but not others?
BullsFan22

Re: Re:

28 Feb 2017 15:26

BullsFan22 wrote:
yaco wrote:What's the fuss - It's well known that athletes will take any supplement to improve performance - Usually these will be products that are WADA compliant - And there's no guarantee these wacky products will help performance.

So it's ok for some to dope, but not others?

Don't listen to the spin from the IAAF/WADA that 29 to 45% of track and fields athletes dope - It's closer to 90% but this would be unpalatable for the public - Yes athletes will take any type of supplements to improve performance - many snake oil sellers in the market place.
yaco

Re:

28 Feb 2017 18:43

still trying to muddy the waters Yaco. :rolleyes:

Mo Farah, me and L-carnitine by Oliver Duggan

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/28/mo-farah-me-l-carnatine-drugs-sport
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

28 Feb 2017 18:55

Benotti69 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/28/mo-farah-me-l-carnatine-drugs-sport

How I am muddying the waters - Have always posted that around 90% of track and field athletes dope - And this comes from acquaintances who are close to the scene - Whether you like it or not L-carnitine is not on the WADA prohibited list - As I've previously posted athletes will take any type of supplement ( whether it works or not ) to gain an advantage - This is the nature of professional sport.
yaco

28 Feb 2017 19:03

yaco wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:

How I am muddying the waters - Have always posted that around 90% of track and field athletes dope - And this comes from acquaintances who are close to the scene - Whether you like it or not L-carnitine is not on the WADA prohibited list - As I've previously posted athletes will take any type of supplement ( whether it works or not ) to gain an advantage - This is the nature of professional sport.

"What's the fuss...."

".....there's no guarantee these wacky products will help performance"

:)
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

28 Feb 2017 19:08

Best part ...

Salazar reportedly emailed disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong with excitement after testing out L-carnitine. “Lance call me asap! We have tested it and it’s amazing,” Salazar wrote.
woodburn

Re:

28 Feb 2017 23:17

Your pro-Brit, anti-American viewpoint is so glaringly obvious. One page back and you're ripping into USADA, basically saying they are colluding with cheating athletes, yet here you are defending another Brit (like Froome and Wiggins, I've noticed) from essentially the same thing.

I may not agree with some posters who think every little "strange" thing these athletes do is somehow doping (mech or chem) related, but at least they are consistent in wanting ALL cheats exposed. The most annoying thing is when people like you pick and choose who to defend. Frankly, you lose credibility IMO when you seem to be so biased for some and not others.
mike75

01 Mar 2017 14:59

mike75 wrote:

Your pro-Brit, anti-American viewpoint is so glaringly obvious. One page back and you're ripping into USADA, basically saying they are colluding with cheating athletes, yet here you are defending another Brit (like Froome and Wiggins, I've noticed) from essentially the same thing.

I may not agree with some posters who think every little "strange" thing these athletes do is somehow doping (mech or chem) related, but at least they are consistent in wanting ALL cheats exposed. The most annoying thing is when people like you pick and choose who to defend. Frankly, you lose credibility IMO when you seem to be so biased for some and not others.

Really - You should read my posts when i rip into Australia's ASADA - I've ripped into the compilation of jurists for CAS - The unsuitability of WADA's prohibited list, how they advertise prohibited substances - I've already posted about the Salazar accusations regarding the L Supplement in which I clearly stated it's not a WADA prohibited substance , so there is nothing to see - I've already posted the Sky ' Jiffy bag ' will go nowhere unless the whistle-blower can provide hard documentary evidence.

The strangest thing is the post you quoted is defending Salazar an American coach - Think its you who have the blinkers on.
yaco

13 Mar 2017 10:55

http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170313/277986194.html

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne has disqualified for life ex-Deputy Director of the Russian research Institute of physical culture and sports (VNIIFK), Sergey Portugalov, involved in a doping scandal, the Russian Athletic Federation announced on its website on Monday.

The CAS ruling has become effective.

Earlier, doctor Portugalov was found guilty of violating several articles of anti-doping rules of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) including possession of a prohibited substance, trafficking or attempted trafficking of a prohibited substance, administration of a prohibited substance.
User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to The Clinic