Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

06 May 2017 04:54

Kipchoge might just break the 2 hour marathon barrier.
This will be huge!
We'll know in about 54 mins
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

Re:

06 May 2017 05:18

silvergrenade wrote:Kipchoge might just break the 2 hour marathon barrier.
This will be huge!
While I'm thoroughly disenchanted with all the (ongoing) doping going on in track&field you got my attention - I like how at the end of this article they are saying:

“Science has helped realize many things: electricity, cars, planes, mobiles, cameras, satellites,” the 27-year-old Desisa said. “It’s how we created airplanes based on how birds fly ... So science may realize (this project) as well.”

http://www.gazettenet.com/Kipchoge-leads-attempt-to-run-sub-2-hour-marathon-9704140
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 May 2017 05:56

Wow, dude missed the sub 2 by about 25 seconds. (He looks so old, though, for a 32 year old. I'm sure Nike has no qualms about running him down into the ground.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re:

06 May 2017 06:16

Tricycle Rider wrote:Wow, dude missed the sub 2 by about 25 seconds. (He looks so old, though, for a 32 year old. I'm sure Nike has no qualms about running him down into the ground.)

I'm the kind f fan (of cycling and athletics) that separates my appreciation of the race from the appreciation of the sport (by which I mean, I love to youtube races from 200x, and raise a stink over dopers now).

That was incredible.

That was INCREDIBLE!

That would be like a Nike set-up, using it's best "equipped" athletes to go 34' up Alpe. Yeah, the boost is there, but everyone who has ever ridden uphill can find something incredible from watching someone, anyone, get at it in a way that defies all expectations.

I don't think I'm doing a good job explaining myself, but my point is, that when I watch sports, I watch for a competition between the most talented, well-trained, savvy individuals... who I can admire for getting that the right way.

I;m sacrificing one out of four to enjoy the highest level of cycling or athletics? Ehh, if they're going to run under 2 hours, or climb whatever mountain in whatever time, there's still a lot of pleasure to be had.
More Strides than Rides

Re: Re:

06 May 2017 06:55

Tricycle Rider wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:Kipchoge might just break the 2 hour marathon barrier.
This will be huge!
While I'm thoroughly disenchanted with all the (ongoing) doping going on in track&field you got my attention - I like how at the end of this article they are saying:

“Science has helped realize many things: electricity, cars, planes, mobiles, cameras, satellites,” the 27-year-old Desisa said. “It’s how we created airplanes based on how birds fly ... So science may realize (this project) as well.”

http://www.gazettenet.com/Kipchoge-leads-attempt-to-run-sub-2-hour-marathon-9704140

It was an amazing effort.
His pacing was spot on: https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/860741899912699904

We should do something like this in cycling: up Angliru or Alp d'Huez!
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

06 May 2017 08:14

His drafting a pace car was even more spot on. This explains the improvement almost entirely to me.

Now, was the attempt subject to any sort of testing? Honest question. My understanding is that it was not an IAAF event. So a bag or two slammed in before are not out of the question.
User avatar meat puppet

06 May 2017 08:21

Tricycle Rider wrote:Wow, dude missed the sub 2 by about 25 seconds. (He looks so old, though, for a 32 year old. I'm sure Nike has no qualms about running him down into the ground.)

wowza wowza wowza.................2.00.24 ................gotta get some N1ke

..........until ad!das go faster

Mark L

gotta love these corporate guys turning brand names into links.......we need swear filter for this
User avatar ebandit

06 May 2017 16:47

potential new WR in the Javelin if they do wipe old records. The cameraman nearly got taken out.
Singer01

Re: Doping In Athletics

07 May 2017 15:36

BullsFan22 wrote:I think they should only take away Paula's record, just to see her reaction.

I think they should keep Ben Johnson's record, and give back his gold from Seoul. Just about everyone in that final was doping/was later caught and/or suspended, or have been suspected to, and in the case of Carl Lewis, the man that finished second and later was upgraded to first, several positive tests just that summer alone!

:) Too bad six or seven guys have gone faster, but I think Big Ben,
the Falmouth Flyer, may still be the best starter of all time.

I've seen his start up close, standing maybe 10-15 yards away and
a couple of yards in front of the line and was shocked :eek: at just how
good it was and how much better he was than everyone else when he
got it right. Back in those days of course the start rules were different
and the guys on each side of him could try and throw him off.
User avatar oldcrank

Re:

07 May 2017 21:37

meat puppet wrote:His drafting a pace car was even more spot on. This explains the improvement almost entirely to me.

Models seem to agree. The Tesla and the pacers apparently account for about 2 minutes.

I still think we learned that the sub2 marathon will probably happen before the inevitable cyborg transition requires new benchmarks.
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

08 May 2017 02:22

^ interesting. Can you link to a couple aero drag models, sam? I just went by a gut feel when making the point. I mean the pace car with the timing equipment has a CDA closer to a small lorrry than a basic car. And you get a huge drag from those things on the bike regardless of your speed.

A counter point raised in Twitter etc was that the runners were not "close" to the car and the benefit was merely psychological. To me they were close enough as the car made a huge hole in the air.

Agree that a sub 2hr mara is doable with serious aero cheating. In a proper race kipchoge seems to be a 2:02.30 guy or something.
User avatar meat puppet

Re:

08 May 2017 15:46

East African runners openly consider him 40 years old.

Did he do any junior racing back in the day?
Cloxxki

Re:

08 May 2017 16:05

ebandit wrote:

wowza wowza wowza.................2.00.24 ................gotta get some N1ke

..........until ad!das go faster

Mark L

gotta love these corporate guys turning brand names into links.......we need swear filter for this

Adidas will always kick the ball better, so at least there is that :razz:
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re: Re:

08 May 2017 18:36

Cloxxki wrote:

East African runners openly consider him 40 years old.

Did he do any junior racing back in the day?

In 2003, he outkicked Bekele and El Guerrouj to win the World's 5000m in Paris, as an 18 year old. Though if his age is disputed, then he may have been in his mid twenties.
BullsFan22

11 May 2017 02:46

Genzebe Dibaba is aiming to break the world 5k record at Eugene. Almost a year after her coach was charged with administering banned substances....
idunno

15 May 2017 13:21

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/39921658
A television advert featuring disgraced ex-sprinter Ben Johnson has been criticised by Australia's anti-doping authority for "making light of the use of performance-enhancing drugs".

Canadian Johnson was stripped of 100m Olympic gold from Seoul 1988 after testing positive for a banned steroid.

In the advert, he says a betting firm's mobile phone app "tested positive for speed and power again and again".

The company has defended the advert and says it will not be pulled.

There are several doping puns used in the advert, including claims the app is "a hit with performance-enhancement experts all over the world".

(Where's Lance? :lol: )
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
Froome & Roy Moore - blessed St Lucia!
User avatar Robert5091

15 May 2017 15:38

Think ASADA have more pressing issues that this almost non-story - Actually ASADA are due for a root and branch review.
yaco

Re:

15 May 2017 18:37

Robert5091 wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/39921658
A television advert featuring disgraced ex-sprinter Ben Johnson has been criticised by Australia's anti-doping authority for "making light of the use of performance-enhancing drugs".

Canadian Johnson was stripped of 100m Olympic gold from Seoul 1988 after testing positive for a banned steroid.

In the advert, he says a betting firm's mobile phone app "tested positive for speed and power again and again".

The company has defended the advert and says it will not be pulled.

There are several doping puns used in the advert, including claims the app is "a hit with performance-enhancement experts all over the world".

(Where's Lance? :lol: )

I've written quite a few times about Johnson, Carl Lewis and that 100m final in Seoul. I feel bad for him in the fact that he was made a scapegoat and the fact that to this day, Lewis goes around badmouthing Johnson and saying he is a bad loser and a doper and blah, blah, blah, when Lewis himself failed 3 tests that summer of 88' alone. Technically, he shouldn't have been anywhere near Seoul, let alone claiming the gold after Johnson's positive.

Anyway, it's interesting stuff from the Aussies. Wonder what WADA, the IOC and IAAF think of it.
BullsFan22

15 May 2017 18:53

Johnson was a doper, but then again so were the majority of that field.

He has been singled out more than others, especially Lewis and Linford Christie.

Its not a Lance level singling out, but then again he was probably doing no more or less than the others in the field, so it is clear scapegoating.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re: Doping In Athletics

15 May 2017 21:25

Shocking revelation :eek: from the disgraced Jamaican-born Canadian sprinter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjO792hOOus
User avatar oldcrank

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic