Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Al Salazar and Dr. Brown

19 May 2017 21:09

Did I miss the post with yet another article about Salazar's alleged doping operations at NIKE?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/sports/nike-oregon-project-alberto-salazar-dathan-ritzenhein.html?_r=2

synthetic thyroid hormone and l-carnitine drips. Never testing positive.

Welling’s medical records showed a nearly 11,000 percent increase in her muscle L-carnitine levels after the infusion.

Regarding the L-carnitine infusion, however, she said she could not remember a single detail.

Good thing USATF isn't sponsored by Nike, or that could look bad for Track and Field.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

Re: Al Salazar and Dr. Brown

20 May 2017 06:50

The next day, Dr. Brown prescribed Levoxyl, a thyroid drug. (Levoxyl is not a banned substance.)

According to the report, Dr. Brown was Salazar’s personal physician and was being paid a monthly retainer to work with the Oregon Project athletes. Ritzenhein said he did not know any of this at the time.

Last summer, the United States Anti-Doping Agency, or Usada, tried and failed in court to compel a deposition from Dr. Brown. His lawyer said at the time that the agency was engaged in a “fishing expedition to see if they can find some kind of a problem.”

Dr. Brown is known in the track world for diagnosing hypothyroidism in distance runners. The condition involves an underactive thyroid that can lead to weight gain and fatigue, but is considered relatively rare among athletes.

Some experts say that thyroid hormone can serve as a stimulant, lead to weight loss and improve alertness among athletes.

The functional component of Levoxyl is hormone levothyroxine and it is marketed somewhere under the brand name Levothroid. It is not well-established how prevalent its (ab)use is or has been in the past as it hasnt' been a banned drug and thus almost never discussed in the doping literature.

But there are some clues about its use allegedly by Marco Pantani and even Tyler Hamilton's calendar for season 2003 has it clearly written and because it was used just right after Dauphiné adds to the theory that it was just one way more to shed the last remaining pounds of the body before the TDF.

http://velorooms.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1783.0;attach=2630;image
User avatar Aragon

20 May 2017 12:58

''lead to weight loss''

Lol, middle aged women consume Levoxyl in US gyms by mass. You wanna get thin, you take Levoxyl, its really simple as that
Gloin22

Re:

21 May 2017 17:30

Yes, when one understands the function of the hormone, it is an immediate no-brainer that weight loss could be the main reason for anyone to take it and apparently many people buy this mechanism.

But as it has been barely discussed in the literature, I am not fully convinced as there could be some detrimental side-effects if an elite athlete always at the edge of overtraining boosts his metabolic rate and thermogenesis via this substance.
User avatar Aragon

22 May 2017 13:42

Not specific to doping per se, but I was surprised at the amount of adverts on billboards/walls featuring Mo on my current trip to Shanghai.

Nike Money really does talk a global language.
User avatar Catwhoorg

24 May 2017 01:55

User avatar TubularBills

Re: Doping In Athletics

24 May 2017 14:27

Notice how NIKE is at the center of most doping related news in the US in the past two decades or so. Armstrong, Carl Lewis and Andre Agassi's positives being swiped away, Salazar and the Oregon Racing Project, MLB, NFL, USATF, USA Cycling, USOC scandal in the 80's to early 2000's...
BullsFan22

24 May 2017 16:54

It's to do with the increased mix between professional sport and multi-national companies - These companies have little concern about doping or the like, as long as it's kept in-house - You can't beat brand recognition aligned with sporting stars.
yaco

24 May 2017 23:54

TubularBills wrote:The USADA Report On Alberto Salazar And The Nike Oregon Project

http://www.flotrack.org/article/56468-this-may-be-the-usada-report-on-alberto-salazar-and-the-nike-oregon-project#.WSTFuBMrLVo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12sfJ8SraVNTW9nU3puUklyRzQ/view

Working through this document, and it's depressing reading....

The corporate adjacency is so concerning :mad:

:lol: page 104...... Salazar was himself apparently refused a TUE for hGH in 1995 based on lack of evidence of a pituitry-gonadal failure" :surprised:

and from salazar in 2011 (page 117)

“Lance, call me asap! We have tested it and it’s amazing. You are the only athlete I’m going to tell the actual numbers to other than Galen Rupp. It’s too incredible. All completely legal and natural! You will finish the Iron Man in about 16 minutes less while taking this.”
arcus

25 May 2017 04:16

BullsFan22 wrote:Notice how NIKE is at the center of most doping related news in the US in the past two decades or so. Armstrong, Carl Lewis and Andre Agassi's positives being swiped away, Salazar and the Oregon Racing Project, MLB, NFL, USATF, USA Cycling, USOC scandal in the 80's to early 2000's...

Exactly. Also add in the Oregon fuelled sub-2hr marathon nonsense as a very recent and very blatant shenanigan.
User avatar meat puppet

30 May 2017 16:09

Cake

04 Jul 2017 07:16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40483005

Many high-profile athletes missed the weekend's British trials, which formed part of the selection process for August's World Championships in London.

The team trials event gave athletes the chance to be crowned British champion in their event, and to secure places at the World Championships.

But Olympic gold medallists Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford were among those absent, as were British record holders Laura Muir and Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

Rutherford, Muir, sprint hurdler Tiffany Porter, sprinter Delano Williams, steeplechaser Rosie Clarke and long-distance runner Jo Pavey were granted permission to miss the trials because of injury concerns.

Sprinter Richard Kilty was given permission to miss the trials because of sickness, while long jumper Shara Proctor was absent after she was concussed in a minor car accident on Saturday.

As potential medal prospects in London, Farah and sprint hurdler Andrew Pozzi were granted special permission to miss the trials on performance grounds, the latter choosing to compete in the Paris Diamond League event on Saturday.

Heptathlete Johnson-Thompson was also cleared to focus on her preparation for London, but as Britain's top-ranked high jumper will still be considered for selection in that event.

Allowing them "preparation" time?
User avatar Avoriaz

06 Jul 2017 05:35

Uh, oh guys. This time the IAAF's major personalities implicated by Fancy Bears.

Mo, "Answer the doorbell" Farah
American NOP uncontrolled human experiment Rupp.

https://fancybear.net/pages/fancy-bears-strike-iaaf.html

Her investigation files demonstrate discriminating and cynical nature of the current anti-doping control system. On the one hand the system patronizes some athletes by means of therapeutic use exemptions, on the other it applies a severe punishment to the expectant mother.

So, at this point, we know the federation knows with good detail who is doing what. I've been saying for years, TECHNICALLY, the bio-passport works. It's the federation not sanctioning dopers.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

06 Jul 2017 09:45

Fancy Bears send very interesting documents regarding the whole Schwazer chase to a local journalist who contacted them.
I don't have time to sumarize everything, but WADA contacted the Cologne lab that tested him positive and has the sample and told them that they shouldn't send the sample to Italy, so that they couldn't make the DNA test, that was ordered by the court of Bolzano.
Source: https://www.salto.bz/de/article/05072017/part-plot-against
I have zero sympathy for the guy and he made a few pretty disgusting statements a few years ago when he got busted for the first time ("I'm not a crook, I'm from South Tyrol, not from Napoli") and I don't think that he was able to perform on that level durning his comeback without any help, but it looks like he got screwed.
User avatar Mayomaniac

06 Jul 2017 10:15

Farah's backed all the way back to "never failed a blood test!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40516859
Ortho2034
Newly Registered Member

06 Jul 2017 10:52

Anything from Seppelt?
BullsFan22

06 Jul 2017 12:46

Very interesting, but not shocking (though it could be "shock & awe" for a lot of the Rupp worshipers...standby).

I'm surprised to see Kenyan athletes listed, as I didn't think Kenya was part of the ABP program due to no WADA-accredited Labs in the region to conduct the blood tests...I guess they are now.
Nomad

06 Jul 2017 20:40

Nomad wrote:Very interesting, but not shocking (though it could be "shock & awe" for a lot of the Rupp worshipers...standby).

I'm surprised to see Kenyan athletes listed, as I didn't think Kenya was part of the ABP program due to no WADA-accredited Labs in the region to conduct the blood tests...I guess they are now.

Oh, yeah, for sure Kenyans are in the ABP program. Kenya is part of a regional anti-doping organization that includes Ethiopia. The last testing stats I saw had annual single-digit blood tests done in the RADO. So, it seems like they are getting blood drawn around an event.

The numbers used to give credibility to some kind of anti-doping effort are mostly urine tests.

The other point I failed to make earlier was this is a great example of how the system was set up to be absolutely certain there are no false positives conveniently hides doping.

In an imaginary world with little corruption at a global level, the system makes it relatively easy to dope as long as you are smart about it.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic