Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Doping In Athletics

01 Aug 2015 21:28

Most people have their suspicions about the state of athletics, but strikingly, according to some leaked files from the IAAF, the extent of this in endurance events is shocking, with upto a third of medals won at the World Championships and Olympics between 2001-2012 by athletes with 'suspicious tests', yet none of whom have been stripped of their winnings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33749208
User avatar PremierAndrew

01 Aug 2015 21:37

My guess is athletics is as dirty as cycling. IAAF not interested in finding doping. Be an end to World Records being broken and they cant have that!
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

01 Aug 2015 21:51

This is really, really bad news for the IAAF. Their horrible covering up of all the blood tests is corruption on an immense scale. They did this to protect sponsors and money I'd imagine. Disgusting. What are the bets that the UK top endurance athlete is Mo?
Brullnux

Re:

01 Aug 2015 21:59

Brullnux wrote:This is really, really bad news for the IAAF. Their horrible covering up of all the blood tests is corruption on an immense scale. They did this to protect sponsors and money I'd imagine. Disgusting. What are the bets that the UK top endurance athlete is Mo?

It's not Mo, quote from the bbc report:
Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.
Last edited by TourOfSardinia on 01 Aug 2015 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

01 Aug 2015 22:00

Brullnux wrote:This is really, really bad news for the IAAF. Their horrible covering up of all the blood tests is corruption on an immense scale. They did this to protect sponsors and money I'd imagine. Disgusting. What are the bets that the UK top endurance athlete is Mo?

Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results

Make of it what you will
del1962
Veteran

Re:

01 Aug 2015 22:02

#

BBC Article wrote:Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.

Doesn't look like it.

Edit - Too slow on the draw, it seems...
User avatar Bielers

Re: Doping In Athletics

01 Aug 2015 22:03

The only surprising thing is that Farah and Bolt's data is said to not be suspicious.

I'd guess the athlete who Jessica Ennis-Hill lost out to is probably Tatyana Chernova, who was in fact banned for doping following a retest.
William H

Re:

01 Aug 2015 22:26

Benotti69 wrote:My guess is athletics is as dirty as cycling. IAAF not interested in finding doping. Be an end to World Records being broken and they cant have that!

I would say with confidence that it's dirtier.
User avatar gooner

01 Aug 2015 23:27

William H wrote:The only surprising thing is that Farah and Bolt's data is said to not be suspicious.

I'd guess the athlete who Jessica Ennis-Hill lost out to is probably Tatyana Chernova, who was in fact banned for doping following a retest.

Not that surprising. Money buys better doping programs. This means less of a chance to return positives or suspicious tests.
thrawn

02 Aug 2015 00:02

Bolt and Farah are the Armstrong of athletics. Athletics needs a bombshell of both of them getting busted to clean up its act. Cycling may not be entirely clean, but it's better than it has been. Athletics has a long way to go to clean up its act. I've followed athletics longer than cycling, so I have a little more sensitivity to the sport. Hopefully the authorities aren't afraid of going after the 'money, fame and feel good athletes' and actually bust EVERYONE that cheats.
BullsFan22

02 Aug 2015 00:15

PremierAndrew wrote:Most people have their suspicions about the state of athletics, but strikingly, according to some leaked files from the IAAF, the extent of this in endurance events is shocking, with upto a third of medals won at the World Championships and Olympics between 2001-2012 by athletes with 'suspicious tests', yet none of whom have been stripped of their winnings.

Suspicion isn't the right term. That would suggest there is some degree of uncertainty.

With me and many who are interested in doping, there is no uncertainty. Athletics isn't "suspicious". It is simply a fact that its doped to the gills.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

02 Aug 2015 00:21

BullsFan22 wrote:Bolt and Farah are the Armstrong of athletics. Athletics needs a bombshell of both of them getting busted to clean up its act. Cycling may not be entirely clean, but it's better than it has been. Athletics has a long way to go to clean up its act. I've followed athletics longer than cycling, so I have a little more sensitivity to the sport. Hopefully the authorities aren't afraid of going after the 'money, fame and feel good athletes' and actually bust EVERYONE that cheats.

Unfortunately the TDF this year shows us that even a bombshell of them getting busted wouldn't change anything. A couple of years and the media go straight back to saying all the exact same nonesence as they did before Armstrong was busted. Anyone who dares suggest more suspicion is warranted gets attacked with appauling semi racist rhetoric while scientists with actual degrees have to watch their hard earned qualifications questioned by people who have none.

Its not pretty and there is no panacea
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

02 Aug 2015 00:35

Interesting that Ashenden (who some of us wondered where he had been recently - turns out he was doing this) is one of the experts.

Because Ashenden said something similar about cycling a few years ago. There he also saw very suspicious blood values.
Of course no one picked up on that at the time. To important to sell the myth of Sky era cycling being clean clean cleans.

I also remember JV dismissing Ashenden's findings. Can't remember exactly but I think the general gist of it was - I know Ashenden bla bla bla, like him, bla bla bla but he doesn't know cycling.

Wonder if JV would dismiss AShenden's findings on this too.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

02 Aug 2015 00:40

William H wrote:The only surprising thing is that Farah and Bolt's data is said to not be suspicious.

inandofitself, meta suspicious, doubly suspicious. Bolt does not need to dope. He is the only one who does not dope in Jamaica. The rest are on the hot sauce
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2015 00:42

The Hitch wrote:Interesting that Ashenden (who some of us wondered where he had been recently - turns out he was doing this) is one of the experts.

Because Ashenden said something similar about cycling a few years ago. There he also saw very suspicious blood values.
Of course no one picked up on that at the time. To important to sell the myth of Sky era cycling being clean clean cleans.

I also remember JV dismissing Ashenden's findings. Can't remember exactly but I think the general gist of it was - I know Ashenden bla bla bla, like him, bla bla bla but he doesn't know cycling.

Wonder if JV would dismiss AShenden's findings on this too.

Ashenden fundamentally misunderstands machine calibration errors.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2015 00:45

some gordonstoun and muscular christianity and chariots of fire
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2015 02:12

User avatar No_Balls

02 Aug 2015 07:28

The Hitch wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Most people have their suspicions about the state of athletics, but strikingly, according to some leaked files from the IAAF, the extent of this in endurance events is shocking, with upto a third of medals won at the World Championships and Olympics between 2001-2012 by athletes with 'suspicious tests', yet none of whom have been stripped of their winnings.

Suspicion isn't the right term. That would suggest there is some degree of uncertainty.

With me and many who are interested in doping, there is no uncertainty. Athletics isn't "suspicious". It is simply a fact that its doped to the gills.

Care to provide a single shred of cold hard evidence?
User avatar Walkman

02 Aug 2015 08:01

Sunday Times on the radio this morning said that an injunction was sought on Friday to stop publication of this story.
fenns

covered

02 Aug 2015 09:02

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/03/dirtiest-race-in-history-richard-moore-review

a worthwhile read describing many cover ups................

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Next

Return to The Clinic