Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

15 Aug 2017 12:23

sniper wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
Bwlch y Groes wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
Bwlch y Groes wrote:Don't know about doping but the finish of that women's 400m was suspect. Shaunae Miller-Uibo just stopped. Didn't look injured. Didn't look particularly gutted having lost an easy win

Jesus...is this a joke?

Why would it be? As the BBC pundits pointed out, if it was a serious injury she'd have been on the floor in agony. She got some mild treatment after I posted that but nothing so obvious that would basically stop her from running. It didn't look like an obvious stumble. It's really odd - I've never seen anything like that before. Weird results all over the shop in this World Championships

She was just out of power, that's it. Because of that she made wrong step. Have you never seen it before? Nothing odd about that. I would even say nice, exemplar case. Basically stopped her from running? Have we even seen same race? She ran to the finish line. Not so fast as before, but ran.

To be fair, it looked dodgy not just to bwichygroes, but also to a bunch of others.
On twitter somebody just noticed that in her interview last night, she said it was "just a trip".
It didn't look like a trip to me. It looked more like a badly faked cramp or something.
Razzy-worthy.

What bunch of others? I don't think two makes bunch :razz:

I wonder whether there's any point to talk to someone who agrees it "basically stop her from running", because this is total, total BS which makes it look as you two guys haven't even seen the race.

To me it looked like an obvious trip, as I've siad before. Matches with what athleres says.
Kokoso

15 Aug 2017 12:50

Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Doping In Athletics

15 Aug 2017 16:58

At this stage Farah has so many red flags surrounding him he could form his own Communist Party

Haha, very nice
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

15 Aug 2017 19:17

The Hitch wrote:
At this stage Farah has so many red flags surrounding him he could form his own Communist Party

Haha, very nice

Yeah, I liked that writers style. The entire article is filled with little goodies like that... :D

The damage wrought by the norovirus has added to the impression that these are the World Championships from Hell.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Aug 2017 19:27

Not sure if this article I read in the local paper today would be behind a paywall, I only get to read a certain number of articles before they start charging me. So I just copied and pasted the whole thing... the level of the authors' naiveté is just astonishing! (Not sure whether to laugh or cry, think I'd prefer to laugh.)

-----

By Eddie Pells and Pat Graham

The Associated Press

Aug. 15, 2017

LONDON — For years, athletes from the United States have quietly wondered how they might have fared if they had been competing on a level playing field. This year, they may have found out.

Final figures from the medals standings at the world championships that wrapped up Sunday offered evidence that track and field’s attempt to crack down on a global doping crisis could be making a direct impact on the results themselves.

Exhibit A: The United States won 30 medals, while athletes from four countries that have been under the doping microscope — Kenya (11), Russia (6), Ethiopia (5) and Jamaica (4) — combined for 26.

Two years ago, the results looked like this: United States 17, Kenya 16, Jamaica 12, Ethiopia 8, Russia 4.

Four years ago, with Russia competing on home turf and in the midst of what investigators have determined was a state-sponsored doping conspiracy, they looked like this: United States 26, Russia 14, Kenya 12, Jamaica and Ethiopia 10 each.

“Maybe the only good byproduct of the past corruption and scandal is that it forces sport to make sure it never happens again,” said Travis Tygart, the CEO of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. “Ultimately, that’s good for clean athletes.”

Among the changes that have taken place over the last two years:

The suspension of the Russian track federation. Only 19 Russians competed at this year’s worlds, 100 fewer than were present in Moscow in 2013. The 19 competed as neutral athletes because the IAAF determined they’ve been under proper anti-doping controls.

Five countries, including distance-running powerhouses Kenya and Ethiopia, have been placed on a doping watch list — meaning they are being closely watched because of evidence that has surfaced about less-than-robust anti-doping procedures in those countries. Jamaica has also been under increased scrutiny, which has led to the stripping of a 2008 Olympic relay medal because of doping by one of Usain Bolt’s teammates.

The IAAF has established an independent testing authority that takes responsibilities for conducting the anti-doping program out of its hands. A handful of former IAAF leaders are under investigation for their roles in doping cover-ups and related corruption.

“We have to be open about it,” IAAF president Sebastian Coe said. “There’s been a disproportionate amount of damage to the sport produced by a relatively small number of nations, and we just have to get on top of that.”

As a sign of the IAAF’s willingness to tackle the issue head-on, the meet began with the reallocation of medals from 11 races dating to 2007.

“It’s not a Russia thing, but it is a thing that sometimes you get out there and you wonder, ‘Do I have a fair shot at this? If I’m doing the right thing, is everyone else doing the right thing?’” said American sprinter Natasha Hastings, who received a reallocated relay gold from 2013.

It’s a refrain shared up and down the roster in the United States, where athletes are widely considered to be subject to one of the world’s toughest anti-doping programs.

“It’s not uncommon for athletes in our training group to get tested every month,” said U.S.-based track coach Loren Seagrave, who trains athletes from several countries. “On some occasions, you get tested on one day, and they show up again the next day. I think they’re as vigilant as they can be.”

Of course, it’s a delicate proposition to attribute all these numbers to doping, or to assume all the problems are fixed. From Marion Jones to Tim Montgomery to Tyson Gay, Americans have a history of doping positives, reflected most starkly during this meet by the fans’ reaction to Justin Gatlin. The 100-meter champion was roundly booed at every turn because of his doping history — he’s served two bans.

“I thought in 2012, I was in a cleaner race, and it turns out that Olympic final was probably one of the dirtiest in history,” said American middle-distance runner Shannon Rowbury, who finished out of the medals in a race in which no fewer than five of the 1,500-meter finalists have been investigated for doping violations.

Exhibit B (perhaps): Eleven of this year’s 14 winning sprint times, including relays and hurdles, were slower than in 2013, which was the last world championships held the year after the Olympics.

But a portion of that — as well as Jamaica’s paltry showing, with only four medals — could be attributed to Bolt’s rough week; he won bronze in the 100 meters and pulled up lame in the 4x100 with a hurt left hamstring.

The champion took umbrage to the linking of slow times and doping, calling it “disrespectful.”

“There’s something called injury and sometimes, everything doesn’t go as smoothly as you want,” Bolt said. “We came out and put on a good show for everyone.”

Nobody enjoyed the show more than the Americans, whose 30 medals were only two short of what they picked up last year at the Olympics in in Rio de Janeiro, when some of the reforms were starting to take hold and Russia only sent one track and field athlete.

“There was a lot of shuffling, some medalists were completely unexpected,” said American long jumper Tianna Bartoletta, who won a bronze medal. “Whatever the explanation, it’s promising. I’m encouraged by what I saw here this week.”
User avatar Tricycle Rider

15 Aug 2017 22:32

Germany had another relatively poor athletics championship. The Russians with less than 20 athletes won more than the Germans (71 athletes).
BullsFan22

16 Aug 2017 16:27

BullsFan22 wrote:Germany had another relatively poor athletics championship. The Russians with less than 20 athletes won more than the Germans (71 athletes).

Perhaps Germany need the British (Australian) model of lottery and government funding?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

17 Aug 2017 01:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcUlHhO8U8Y

They sure start early these days!
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

17 Aug 2017 10:23

BullsFan22 wrote:Germany had another relatively poor athletics championship. The Russians with less than 20 athletes won more than the Germans (71 athletes).

The Anglo-Saxon wet dream is that only athletes from the UK and some British Commonwealth countries win medals. If others do win, that proves that track and field still has a doping problem.

Why anyone would pay good money to watch this crap is beyond me? At least cycling is free. I suspect that the German people have moved on in respect of track and field i.e. a growing consciousness that it is ridiculous.
buckle

17 Aug 2017 12:29

buckle wrote:

The Anglo-Saxon wet dream is that only athletes from the UK and some British Commonwealth countries win medals. If others do win, that proves that track and field still has a doping problem.

Why anyone would pay good money to watch this crap is beyond me? At least cycling is free. I suspect that the German people have moved on in respect of track and field i.e. a growing consciousness that it is ridiculous.

Cycling is more ridiculous because of motorized doping. Watching the big championships in track & field is more entertaining for me than the majority of cycling races.

I especially love the Decathlon / Heptathlon, High Jump, Long Jump, sprint numbers and the relay races. Always good for some drama, especially the relay races.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

20 Aug 2017 13:39

User avatar thehog
Veteran

20 Aug 2017 16:09

thehog wrote:Mo's lies on training, worth a read;

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8385777

Lol :lol:
bigcog

21 Aug 2017 00:04

bigcog wrote:

I suspect Mo's marathon reboot will be like Lance's comeback 2.0..... :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

21 Aug 2017 08:23

:lol:

That is indeed a worthy read. Pretty bloody damning, in fact!
User avatar London Hibs

21 Aug 2017 11:57

thehog wrote:
bigcog wrote:

I suspect Mo's marathon reboot will be like Lance's comeback 2.0..... :cool:

I hope so and it ends in the same way.
hondated

Re: Re:

21 Aug 2017 12:25

yaco wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
yaco wrote:From memory Kreuziger...beat the BSP

No, he didn't. Don't make things up.

You post in this part of the forum yet you have no knowledge of one of the most significant doping cases in the last
ten years - UCI and WADA dropped their BSP case against Kreuziger in May 2015 - And it was reported widely on Cycling News.

I've always had my doubts about the accuracy of the Biological Passport Program.

Well, of course I have knowledge about Kreuziger's case. My answer was related to you sayind "Kreuziger beat the BSP". But he did not beat the BSP. I have to say I have a problem not to percieve your post as trolling, you'd even deserve some harsh words.
Kokoso

21 Aug 2017 12:47

Wow, picking up posts from three months ago to defend some Czechs. You've outdone yourself kokoso
Brullnux

Re:

21 Aug 2017 13:33

Brullnux wrote:Wow, picking up posts from three months ago to defend some Czechs. You've outdone yourself kokoso

Well, I don't read it here all the time and I'm forgetting where I've reacted so I search it and answer at once. T think that basically characterizes my attitude to this forum. I am not here every day. Maybe someone who's here all the time can't understand this attitude, I don't know.

I wonder why do you have problem with it, anyway. Pretty stupid comment from you, Brullnux. There is nothing bad or strange on reacting to thing three month old and it happens here and in the real life all the time.

Edit: I wonder why are you making mean comment on topic that doesn't even interests you. You've really outdone yourself. Or is it personal? Do you have something against me?
And what Czechs? Since when one person is multiple persons?

You've reacted agressively ad personam on topic you don't care about, nothing else. That's embarassing, really.
Kokoso

21 Aug 2017 14:39

I don't like nationalism, if that's a good enough explanation for you. It's tiresome.
Brullnux

Re:

21 Aug 2017 18:27

Brullnux wrote:I don't like nationalism, if that's a good enough explanation for you. It's tiresome.

That's your problem, kinda, isn't it?
kingjr

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic