Register

Swimming

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Swimming

09 Aug 2015 04:36

Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic. One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky. She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?
BullsFan22

Re: Swimming

09 Aug 2015 05:03

Whoops. I guess I didn't see there were already some things being written about this in "Doping in other sports." My bad. Mods, you can do with this thread what you wish.
BullsFan22

09 Aug 2015 07:18

BullsFan22 wrote:Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic.
might have something to do with the fact this is a cycling fora brah!
BullsFan22 wrote:One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky.
already been recognised for her superhuman qualities. If she was british, i would baptise her gordonstoun, muscular christianity, rowing redgrave and oxbridge alliteration

BullsFan22 wrote:She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?
#NOTNORMAL
#NOT
#NORMAL
good grief
sounds legit

dont forget that there is a catchment of 300 million in the US. Australia is 23 million. China is a billion. But Australia is seaboard, everyone swims, even wrt to the Sino talent identification and sport school system in China, Australia prolly has a larger catchment. The Australian actual catchment might even rival America, as I said, seaboard population, everyone swims, even if the US is 13 times larger in population. But if you want to look at dopers, look no further than the Australians
“Nothing can ever touch the purity of what we accomplished now. Nothing can ever change it” -Johan Bruyneel
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 09:56

These athletes, the swimmers are in my opinion the closest in sports to the rang of absolute gods. In fact, they look close to transform right in fish no more humans.
I missed the world champs because of too much cycling but i will watch all the finals recorded

Again this is already genetical transformation age here and to be honest, even myself i'm a little worried about their health, especially those under 20 years.
After that age, you can judge for yourself what do. you think it's the best for you
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 12:05

blackcat wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic.
might have something to do with the fact this is a cycling fora brah!
BullsFan22 wrote:One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky.
already been recognised for her superhuman qualities. If she was british, i would baptise her gordonstoun, muscular christianity, rowing redgrave and oxbridge alliteration

BullsFan22 wrote:She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?
#NOTNORMAL
#NOT
#NORMAL
good grief
sounds legit

dont forget that there is a catchment of 300 million in the US. Australia is 23 million. China is a billion. But Australia is seaboard, everyone swims, even wrt to the Sino talent identification and sport school system in China, Australia prolly has a larger catchment. The Australian actual catchment might even rival America, as I said, seaboard population, everyone swims, even if the US is 13 times larger in population. But if you want to look at dopers, look no further than the Australians

I'd like to add Northumberland strongmen. Bots on the board is on the firm belief that the windswept of rain hilly landscape is a perfect breeding ground for GT-winnners and Tour de France-legends. Its like the Albion of pro-cycling.
User avatar No_Balls

09 Aug 2015 13:01

Ledecky is 6'0" tall, just reaches the finish first. Height doping. Case closed.
skippythepinhead

Re:

09 Aug 2015 13:39

jens_attacks wrote:These athletes, the swimmers are in my opinion the closest in sports to the rang of absolute gods. In fact, they look close to transform right in fish no more humans.
I missed the world champs because of too much cycling but i will watch all the finals recorded

Again this is already genetical transformation age here and to be honest, even myself i'm a little worried about their health, especially those under 20 years.
After that age, you can judge for yourself what do. you think it's the best for you

Yes, it's totally crazy, imagine under 20 year old cyclists breaking the climbing records of the 90ies, swimming is just ridiculous.
User avatar Mayomaniac

09 Aug 2015 13:42

Not sure if that's serious but in swimming generally peak is a lot younger than pretty much every other sport. Peak is late teens early 20s though I think recently has become even younger.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 14:06

No offense, but young women dominating in swimming has been the case for ages already. Young women mature more faster.

Its remarkable how little doping cases there has been in swimming compared to athletics and most of all cyling, but that's just a bad argument.

What's next ? Katie Ledecky's receding hairline and low voice is because of anabolic steroid abuse ?
User avatar "Jeff"

09 Aug 2015 15:19

Again,swimming right now makes 1995-1996 cycling look like a kid play.
Hopefully fina looks afteir health a little
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 16:00

Why did Sun Yang not turn up to the 1500m? Might've given PaltrinORO someone to beat :p

Seriously though, why?
Brullnux

Re:

09 Aug 2015 19:07

Brullnux wrote:Why did Sun Yang not turn up to the 1500m? Might've given PaltrinORO someone to beat :p

Seriously though, why?

http://news.yahoo.com/sun-yang-confirms-missed-1500m-final-heart-problem-175104211.html Apparently a heart issue? Who knows
Texeng

09 Aug 2015 20:39

Sad the Worlds are over, great event it was. Disappointed about the Russians. I would have thought them to take it to another level in front of their home crowd but they were just bad :( oh and also sad to hear about Sun Yang, definitely one of my favourites swimmers.

I'm already looking forward to the Olympics.
User avatar Flamin

Re:

09 Aug 2015 20:53

Flamin wrote:

Yeah, Swimming is my favourite event during olympics. If Phelps really turned away form alcohol it won't be pretty. He should go for 30 that'd be awesome
User avatar Billie

09 Aug 2015 20:56

France is to swimming what Spain is to cycling ;) .
"Finally, the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2015 21:23

Billie wrote:
Flamin wrote:

Yeah, Swimming is my favourite event during olympics. If Phelps really turned away form alcohol it won't be pretty. He should go for 30 that'd be awesome

Well, this week Phelps clocked times at the American champs that would have made him world champ in Kazan on 100 and 200m butterfly. He'll be ready.

Phelps vs Le Clos the battle of the century _O_
User avatar Flamin

09 Aug 2015 21:52

Wait, why are American Nats taking place at the same time as the world champs?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

09 Aug 2015 22:09

Ledecky is really really suspicious, but actually I think that most very succesful swimmers dope.
User avatar Gigs_98

Re:

10 Aug 2015 03:21

Flamin wrote:Sad the Worlds are over, great event it was. Disappointed about the Russians. I would have thought them to take it to another level in front of their home crowd but they were just bad :( oh and also sad to hear about Sun Yang, definitely one of my favourites swimmers.

Maybe they actually don't dope, or at least not as much as the other top swimmers or other sports where Russians tend to go over the line...Or they are just not as good...
BullsFan22

Next

Return to The Clinic