Register

Team Sky and BC Books.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Oct 2015 18:32

Why shouldn't he write a book he has a great life story i'm sure and achieved lots, it will be an interesting wread, i order it hate the negativity in this thread towards people who have worked hard and know earning the fruits from it.
Ramon Koran

20 Oct 2015 19:42

Well John Wilcockson put out 12 books on Lance on his own with his last eulogy hitting the shelves in late 2012, after the reasoned decision. (I bet he was proud of that !) I wonder has anyone got a figure for just how many "Lance is god on Earth - knowing him changed my life" books were published before the fall from grace ? And then there were his hangers on who added how many ? And against this avalanche of collective idiocy were just how many anti-Lance books during this time ? Three ?

So right now how far along the path are we with the pro "BC/Sky Sir David Brailsford and Shane Sutton are the geniusses of cycling let's bow before them" and "oh Sir Brad how could you" and "Froome was winning races in sandals with a carrier on the back of his bike" ? About half way through the Lance total ?

And how many anti Brailsford BC/Sky books are there right now ?

It will be interesting to see just how big the total of Enid Blytonesque - the famous five go cycle racing - gets before the card house crashes down. On the basis that they have had a model failure before and they are spending serious money keeping most of the possible critics sweet, they should be able to get three times the amount of books out there before it all goes wrong. In fact with Cookson aiding and adding it might well be four or five times the titles, We need a pair of score cards to compare and contrast.
Freddythefrog

Re:

20 Oct 2015 20:05

Freddythefrog wrote:Well John Wilcockson put out 12 books on Lance on his own with his last eulogy hitting the shelves in late 2012, after the reasoned decision. (I bet he was proud of that !)

Would that be Lance Armstrong: The Worlds Greatest Champion, originally released in 2009?
User avatar fmk_RoI

20 Oct 2015 20:35

I will happily stand corrected. But I am mightily puzzled. I am sure that I occasionally followed Wilcockson out of mild amusement and I am sure he used to have his own website promoting his books and there was some drivel there about a book coming out in 2012. I seem to think I went to his site after the reasoned decision to see what he was saying now his last 20 years work was exposed as fiction and all I could find there or recent authorship was something about this book.

However, as I wrote that comment above I did a very quick and quite lazy search and could neither find his website or any reference to that book. Maybe I confusing it, maybe it never came out.

FMK you are well placed to tell us about all the Lance books and current score card for BC/Sky, how do they stack up ?
Freddythefrog

Re:

20 Oct 2015 20:56

Freddythefrog wrote:FMK you are well placed to tell us about all the Lance books and current score card for BC/Sky, how do they stack up ?

There was only one LA, there are many Team GB / Sky cyclists and there is a wider interest in cycling in the UK publishing industry than ever there was in the US (not everything is Tour/Olympics-centric, though obviously those are the topics that sell the most). Some people have a perspective problem. They only see what they want to see.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re:

20 Oct 2015 21:03

Freddythefrog wrote:Well John Wilcockson put out 12 books on Lance on his own with his last eulogy hitting the shelves in late 2012, after the reasoned decision. (I bet he was proud of that !) I wonder has anyone got a figure for just how many "Lance is god on Earth - knowing him changed my life" books were published before the fall from grace ? And then there were his hangers on who added how many ? And against this avalanche of collective idiocy were just how many anti-Lance books during this time ? Three ?

So right now how far along the path are we with the pro "BC/Sky Sir David Brailsford and Shane Sutton are the geniusses of cycling let's bow before them" and "oh Sir Brad how could you" and "Froome was winning races in sandals with a carrier on the back of his bike" ? About half way through the Lance total ?

It will be interesting to see just how big the total of Enid Blytonesque - the famous five go cycle racing - gets before the card house crashes down. On the basis that they have had a model failure before and they are spending serious money keeping most of the possible critics sweet, they should be able to get three times the amount of books out there before it all goes wrong. In fact with Cookson aiding and adding it might well be four or five times the titles, We need a pair of score cards to compare and contrast.

Questions for you Fred. You are a believer in truth and transparency, right? You hold others to high moral standards, right. Why don't you use your own name when you post these insults, innuendoes and accusations, instead of hiding behind an alias?
Mmikethebbike
Newly Registered Member

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2015 22:16

Mmikethebbike wrote:
Freddythefrog wrote:Well John Wilcockson put out 12 books on Lance on his own with his last eulogy hitting the shelves in late 2012, after the reasoned decision. (I bet he was proud of that !) I wonder has anyone got a figure for just how many "Lance is god on Earth - knowing him changed my life" books were published before the fall from grace ? And then there were his hangers on who added how many ? And against this avalanche of collective idiocy were just how many anti-Lance books during this time ? Three ?

Questions for you Fred. You are a believer in truth and transparency, right? You hold others to high moral standards, right. Why don't you use your own name when you post these insults, innuendoes and accusations, instead of hiding behind an alias?

Everyone on these forums are entitled to post anonymously.

And however controversial the views/comments, you cannot ask them to "show themselves".

You are free to discard, counter and engage in discussion, and if you deem comments against forum rules you can report, ignore -or pm a moderator.

Asking posters why they don't "show themselves" is off topic, and not a route we encourage here.

Thank you.
User avatar mrhender

21 Oct 2015 00:35

fmk_RoI wrote:
Freddythefrog wrote:FMK you are well placed to tell us about all the Lance books and current score card for BC/Sky, how do they stack up ?

There was only one LA, there are many Team GB / Sky cyclists and there is a wider interest in cycling in the UK publishing industry than ever there was in the US (not everything is Tour/Olympics-centric, though obviously those are the topics that sell the most). Some people have a perspective problem. They only see what they want to see.

Are you joking? I think you might be the one with the perspective problem! LA was way more popular in the States and the rest of the world than Sky are in the UK or anywhere else. LA's 3.84 M followers on twitter suggests he still is a bigger deal even now.

Since I don't have sales figures…how about Amazon reviews as a crap proxy…?

Mein Climb got a whopping 149. Cav's 2014 opus 114 or so. Inside Team Sky - 63 on amazon uk. Lance - It's not about the bike - 236. On Amazon.co.uk.

So how about in the US? LA - Not far off 1000 reviews on Amazon.com. Froome - 56. It's a given most reviews will happen in the first few years of publication, so I don't think we even need to normalise over the different time periods. And even if we did, LA still beats the rest into a cocked hat.

Froome was 129 days in top 100 books about hobbies, sports etc. on amazon uk. Slightly less than half the number of days '100 things to do whilst you poo' has lasted thus far.

And about that wider interest…here's a non-cycling book for perspective.

Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom - A Colouring Book Adventure for Adults published after Mein Climb….1,300+ reviews. And that's a f..g colouring book. That should give you an idea of how much wider interest there is in team sky.

All the G's and Henaos and Konig or Portes in the world would not add up to the fame of Lance Armstrong's missing testicle. I hate the guy, but I'd bet the farm I don't have that his 'literary' output sold significantly more than Mein Climb ever managed. And I doubt G. is going to break any records. Sky and their associates are mining a narrow and tapering seam for all they are worth…because they are well aware that the high days of cycling popularity in the UK will not last, even if it remains more popular than it has been in the past.

The very reason reporters, journos., editors etc. keep banging on about LA is because he still sells…newspapers, magazines, books…he's still a bigger story. If he weren't he'd have disappeared by now.

As I say, I really do not like him, but I almost have some sympathy for the money being made on the back of his sins. They should pay him for keeping himself in the news. And lest we forget, those people include a ex-dopers who have been a bit more canny about the whole confession and self-flagellation mea culpa thing so they walk away smelling of roses and sainthood and are welcome to be pundits on ITV cycling etc., whilst the commentators ride the high horse about Astana, Vino, Valverde, Contador etc. and make not so very veiled comments about riders who've not been caught doing anything but ride for a 'dodgy' team. The road to redemption is a lucrative one indeed for some.
Electress

21 Oct 2015 05:11

Electress wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:
there is a wider interest in cycling in the UK publishing industry than ever there was in the US

Emphasis added for slow readers.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Team Sky and BC Books.

21 Oct 2015 07:12

oldcrank wrote:Looking forward to young Super G's book, but I think I'll wait
until Christmas just in case Santa Claus gets my letter. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBDfERiIWQ

No wonder you believe Sky are clean.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

Re: Team Sky and BC Books.

21 Oct 2015 20:21

G or his mate said:

The World of Cycling According to G is like no other cycling book, from no other rider: a thrilling group ride through the secret stories and clandestine codes, the great names and small detail, the insider tactics, pivotal races and essential etiquette.

So, he's going to blow the gaff, then.
Jacques (7 ch)

21 Oct 2015 20:35

Nothing can top mein climb, but that book looks like it might be worth reading for the comedy.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

21 Oct 2015 22:08

And however controversial the views/comments, you cannot ask them to "show themselves".

You are free to discard, counter and engage in discussion, and if you deem comments against forum rules you can report, ignore -or pm a moderator.

Asking posters why they don't "show themselves" is off topic, and not a route we encourage here.

Thank you.

No, thank *you* for this helpful advice. The point is, though, that Freddiethefrog, as evidenced by this and numerous other posts, is clearly someone who has a personal axe to grind, demonstrating an extreme contempt, indeed hatred, of all things connected in any way to British Cycling. I think it would help readers of this forum if they understood who "Freddie" actually is and why he has developed this deep hatred. Surely those of you (including "Freddie") who use this forum to demand integrity and transparency in others ought to demonstrate those qualities themselves, especially when they make defamatory statements about those others.
Mmikethebbike
Newly Registered Member

21 Oct 2015 23:09

Mmikethebbike wrote:

Thank you.

No, thank *you* for this helpful advice. The point is, though, that Freddiethefrog, as evidenced by this and numerous other posts, is clearly someone who has a personal axe to grind, demonstrating an extreme contempt, indeed hatred, of all things connected in any way to British Cycling. I think it would help readers of this forum if they understood who "Freddie" actually is and why he has developed this deep hatred. Surely those of you (including "Freddie") who use this forum to demand integrity and transparency in others ought to demonstrate those qualities themselves, especially when they make defamatory statements about those others.

My points still stand.

Also the post above is generally off topic so if you have input to the general guidelines and rules of the forum you should post it in the proper thread.

In case you choose to, I advise that you do not single out any posters as example because as already pointed out that is off topic and immaterial, as any poster here has the right to post anonymously (same as you are doing).

If you have objections to specific posts, let me tell you once more that you can report, ignore or counter those under general forum rules. Pursuing any members personal information is not allowed.
User avatar mrhender

21 Oct 2015 23:19

Anonymous poster gets all bitchy and demands other anonymous poster outs themselves.

My irony meter just broke. Thanks a lot.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

21 Oct 2015 23:34

Mmikethebbike wrote:

Thank you.

Right, and I'm sure he'd just love all of the inevitable, unwanted attention that will follow too. Are you going to stump up for the court costs?

Didn't think so.

You might not like it but there's a good reason people exercise privacy. Nice try though ;)
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

22 Oct 2015 07:29

Mmikethebbike wrote:

Thank you.

Why on earth would anyone develop a grudge against anyone at BC? They're all a bunch of 'regular fellows'. :rolleyes:
German Spies…. “Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!”
One of our spies...” Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!”

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett VC DSO (Blackadder goes forth)
The Carrot

A new book about Froome

27 Oct 2015 17:31

Lets imagine a good author and perhaps a great cycling journalist would write a book on Froome. Perhaps someone we don't know about yet.

Lets also imagine, for the time being, that the book should be about asking questions about Froome's profssional credibility, but not necesserally uncover the obvious.

What should a book like that cover ? The author is not interested in Froome "the person", the author doesn't care where he grew up or if he had a snake as a kid. He cares about his performance, his numbers, his credibility and he wants to tell a story about that side.

What should a book like that include, what would you like to read in and do you believe that it could put enough pressure on someone, somewhere, that they would start the real digging.

The point is that, I believe no one has really summarized it all in one place. And I believe that if you put it down in one place, a good read, a book that tells a credible and the unbelievable story about Froome, we as the cycling fans has come a little longer in terms of showing the world how far out he is.
User avatar danielovichdk2

edit

27 Oct 2015 17:40

Mark L

edited as post was not intended for this thread
Last edited by ebandit on 27 Oct 2015 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar ebandit

Re: A new book about Froome

27 Oct 2015 18:16

danielovichdk2 wrote:do you believe that it could put enough pressure on someone, somewhere, that they would start the real digging.

Isn't that what the book's author should be doing? Or does this author propose not getting off his **** and instead write this book from the warmth of his basement?
User avatar fmk_RoI

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic