Register

Team Sky and BC Books.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Team Sky and BC Books.

25 Sep 2015 15:09

These are my two favorite Sky/Walsh books :rolleyes:

User avatar thehog
Veteran

25 Sep 2015 15:10

el oh el at that Milking It novel. Is it on Amazon yet?
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

Re:

25 Sep 2015 15:18

JimmyFingers wrote:No you're wrong, book releases are clear evidence of Sky's racketeering and protection rackets
Dont be a dik Jimmy, all those books show it doesnt pay to go after doping stories. Just like the Americans werent interested in doping when Armstrong was writing his 'It's not about the bike' bullshit books and sequals.

Just follow the party line and all will be fine: follow the money.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

25 Sep 2015 15:22

I would have thought all the money David Walsh has made is demonstrative that is DOES pay to go after dopers.

So the theory is pay the journalists who would otherwise be investigating your doping to write your memoirs to head them off at the pass?

Still bonkers, sorry.
JimmyFingers

Re: Re:

25 Sep 2015 15:25

JimmyFingers wrote:
hrotha wrote:
JimmyFingers wrote:Here's my alternative theory: they are released to make money.

That is kind of the point.

So if you release books or sign big sponsorship deals to make money, it's indicative of doping?

Another post from you/gooner that has nothing to do with what anyone has actually said.

You are barking up the wrong tree with the "indicative of doping" thing because none of us are concerned with that question anymore. Pretty much everyone in the clinic reached the point of certainty with regards to sky doping, long long ago.

As hrotha said this is about pointing out that wider networks have a vested interest in defending them.

His post was actually quite simple, short and easy to understand. I can't beleive you managed to miss the point of even that.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

25 Sep 2015 15:26

It is business genius actually; get the journos who should be best placed to investigate the scam inside the tent, help them earn a wedge by ghosting the stories and bingo, they are (a) financially incentivised to drive the myth, and (b) have compromised themselves by what they have written in support of it.
Jacques (7 ch)

25 Sep 2015 15:32

The Hitch wrote:
JimmyFingers wrote:
hrotha wrote:
JimmyFingers wrote:Here's my alternative theory: they are released to make money.

That is kind of the point.

So if you release books or sign big sponsorship deals to make money, it's indicative of doping?

Another post from you/gooner that has nothing to do with what anyone has actually said.

You are barking up the wrong tree with the "indicative of doping" thing because none of us are concerned with that question anymore. Pretty much everyone in the clinic reached the point of certainty with regards to sky doping, long long ago.

As hrotha said this is about pointing out that wider networks have a vested interest in defending them.

His post was actually quite simple, short and easy to understand. I can't beleive you managed to miss the point of even that.

I'll agree his point was far more concise ad understandable than your rambling affair justifying it, but I still don't buy that a motive behind publishing books is to tie writers and publishing houses into protecting you from exposure. Still bonkers, a totally superfluous thread you are desperately trying to lend some credence.

And failing.
JimmyFingers

Re:

25 Sep 2015 15:36

Jacques (7 ch) wrote:It is business genius actually; get the journos who should be best placed to investigate the scam inside the tent, help them earn a wedge by ghosting the stories and bingo, they are (a) financially incentivised to drive the myth, and (b) have compromised themselves by what they have written in support of it.

I reckon the buy-in is more powerful than the $$ earning potential in long-term narrative sustenance.

Imagine Walsh if Froome got pinged on Monday. He would look a right git. Now imagine he finds or hears something. I cannot imagine the cognitive dissonance he would experience, but I can imagine a lot of talking and what not behind the scenes going on, Froome +/- Brailsford convincing him it's all a lie, given that's what he would want to hear, and then Walsh letting it drift away on the rainbow coloured winds of fanciful delusion.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

25 Sep 2015 15:56

The Hitch wrote:You are barking up the wrong tree

Dear Wiggo wrote: letting it drift away on the rainbow coloured winds of fanciful delusion.

sorry for the offtopic. just wanted to say I liked these two sentences.
always something new to learn, even in the clinic
pastronef

25 Sep 2015 16:02

The Hitch wrote:Just wanted to make a list of this because a) its getting really ridiculous and b) I think it ties in well with the theory I've said before that Sky and the whole gravy train as a whole are all in to milking as much out of the cow as possible. If they get caught down the liner they will have made such a killing from this anyway that it will have financially been totally worth it doping. Its not like you pay back the money you made from selling BS books to brainless morons).

I'm making this thread because I just heard the hillarious news that Wiggins is releasing ANOTHER book .

So we have

Froome autobiography.
Geraint Thomas autobiography (upcoming)
Dave Brailsford autobiography (upcoming)
Bradley Wiggins autobiography 1
Bradley Wiggins autobiography 2
Bradley Wiggins autobiography 3 (upcoming)
Inside Team Sky.
Dave Brailsford mastermind.
Dave Millar autobiograhy 1 (yes I know he's not IN sky atm but he's their number 1 cheerleader and close to all of them + close to BC)
Dave Millar autobiography 2 (upcoming)
Ellingworth autobiography (wtf even the 2nd tier coach of the team has 1)
Cav autobiography.

What else is there?

I think I remember at least 2 or 3 more ive seen. there was one about how sky conquered the world or some **** like that. Also one from ned boulting (saying ITV aren't part of Sky is like saying that the CIA isn't part of the US government).

What other ones have I forgotten.

How does compare to other champions in the past - Armstrong (he had about 3 or 4 iirc + Brunyeel) or Indurain, Contador, Merckx etc.

Seems to me to be a massive part of the Sky racket.

On a similar note what about documentaries, which is same principle.
So far I remember a Wiggins one by Sky, a Wiggins one by ITV, (also a Wiggins one by ES?). A Froome one by ITV and maybe a Cav one by ITV too.

Good thread Hitch. There were waaaaaay more Armstrong books that the few he "co-authored." It was part of the problem with getting the truth about him out in the US. All those folks who wrote books about his Tours, his life, his training methods, etc - those guys were invested in perpetuating the myth. You can probably find 20 books or more about Lance, not to mention the videos World Cycling Productions used to sell. The myth-making around any professional sport or pro athlete is often a huge impediment to any critical view of the doping or dirt behind the scenes.

At least until the hero falls. Then there's money to be made from the exposé
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

25 Sep 2015 16:05

thehog wrote:These are my two favorite Sky/Walsh books :rolleyes:

That Walsh one looks like it belongs on a twitter parody account. Nice work, Hog. :D
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

25 Sep 2015 16:33

JimmyFingers wrote:
The Hitch wrote:
JimmyFingers wrote:No you're wrong, book releases are clear evidence of Sky's racketeering and protection rackets

I don't think anyone ever said anything of the sort.

BTW why are you so obsessed about this thread existing? Its no big deal, its just a thread.

Have you even read any of these books. If you had, and you'd seen some of the absolutely bats*** insane arguments Sky and their authors make in them, you might understand why we would want a seperate thread in which to host a discussion about them.

Particularly funny, from memory, are the claims that Froome trains 4 hours every night with his strava off so that his coaches don't find out and the piece de resistance, the portrayal of Rod Ellingworth as "anti doping" :o

You equated them releasing books with criminal gangs inserting themselves into the upper echelons of society, so they become institutionalised and difficult to bring to justice. As I said, embarrassing. As for obsession, this is your thread, you posted it, so who is the one obsessed?

Jimmy...Jimmy....Jimmy.... :rolleyes:

You aren't understanding the rules of the game. One Sky/Brit bashing thread was closed, so another must be opened. Did you not realise this would happen the moment the other thread was locked :D

Anyway, it is a valid thread topic I think. Wanting to play devil's advocate, I just popped over to the Italian amazon site to try and see if there were books about Astana and Nibali. Not a very fair comparison, because Astana doesn't have the pure association with one nation in terms of team registration and principal riders, in the way that Sky does, but nevertheless there were only two books that I could find about Nibali. This is in stark comparison to Hitch's long list although a couple of his entries are pushing it a bit.

In a sense Sky is a much more homogenous project than any other team since, maybe Mapei, and therefore the literature will coagulate around the one team. But I agree with Hitch in so far as there are a lot of spin offs from this team. I'm not sure it is fair to tie it into doping, as I think all the GT winners (and maybe other race winners too) are doping. I don't believe there is any non-doping GT winning 'control group' against which Sky can be compared. It is up to the teams to make what they can out of their race wins, but I suppose we shouldn't be surprised if a team that is paid for by a media company subsequently makes the most of the media.

By the way, I think you should add team kits to the list of money making ventures. If I see another flabby middle-aged man panting his way along the road on a Pinarello, and stuffed into black and light-blue lycra I'll probably scream.
User avatar wendybnt

25 Sep 2015 17:11

When there were no Brits winning the tour the 'journalists' had a lot of time on their hands and could get stuck in to the murky side of cycling. See how Richard Moore and Brian Smith were straight out to condemn Armstrong despite Smith in particular having made a living on being the guy who babysat young Lance and never saw anything dodgy. Now all the english speaking press are milking the Sky machine and need to keep on side to get access etc, no one is going to rock the boat.

UKADA would run a mile even if presented with a smoking gun WRT Sky doping. Sky would bankrupt them in court.
bobbins

25 Sep 2015 17:22

To maximize profits, they should structure their book business and target various groups, e.g. women (Sky: 50 Shades Of Black), childern (Chris Potter In The Castle Of Marginal Gains), cooking fans (Marginal Diet: Lean And Powerful), home bricoleurs (High Beds: Sleep In Altitude - And Don't Forget The Pillows), holiday travellers (The Power Of Motorhomes), etc.
doperhopper

25 Sep 2015 17:35

and some ask why people like astana better...
how many book are out there about vino, shefer and zeits?
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

25 Sep 2015 17:37

What's the Kazakh version of WHSmith?
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

25 Sep 2015 17:41

jens_attacks wrote:and some ask why people like astana better...

That's because Astanas actions are like an open book.
Lyon

Re:

25 Sep 2015 17:56

bobbins wrote:When there were no Brits winning the tour the 'journalists' had a lot of time on their hands and could get stuck in to the murky side of cycling. See how Richard Moore and Brian Smith were straight out to condemn Armstrong despite Smith in particular having made a living on being the guy who babysat young Lance and never saw anything dodgy. Now all the english speaking press are milking the Sky machine and need to keep on side to get access etc, no one is going to rock the boat.

UKADA would run a mile even if presented with a smoking gun WRT Sky doping. Sky would bankrupt them in court.

Maybe I'm misreading your point about Brian Smith (if we are talking about the Eurosport hack behind JTL) was a close friend of Armstrong and spend his time on Eurosport assuring everyone that Lance was clean and Landis and Hamilton just bitter.

He only turned on Lance in one of the most pathetic cases of a rat fleeing a sinking ship, after the reasoned decision.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

25 Sep 2015 18:28

Dear Wiggo wrote:el oh el at that Milking It novel. Is it on Amazon yet?

Another Hog special

:D :D
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

25 Sep 2015 18:34

jens_attacks wrote:and some ask why people like astana better...

Not to rehash some of what was said on a recently locked thread but there are books about Vino in Kazakh. He's a freaking national hero there. Loved this apparent mistranslation in particular "the Olympic champion will be opened in the name of so-called public funds".

But yeah, Sky fans do seem to like reading a lot. Who would've thunk it?
User avatar carton

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic